• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

HK417 accuracy?

Re: HK417 accuracy?

First off...the 417 is not going to be a civilian available rifle. If you are talking about the MR762 (or just generally want to know about the 417), who the hell knows at this point since they haven't really made it into the US yet...you are looking at next year sometime (guesstimate). There are some lengthy threads on HKPro re: the 417/MR762...I suggest you have a look there for more detailed info.

That said, the rifle has the "potential" to be very accurate (based solely on the quality of the components used in the build), but only time will tell. The only major limiting factor of the MR762 (or the 417) will be the high initial cost, lack of aftermarket support/parts, and the associated costs of those things if/when they do become available.

Ya i meant either hk417 or mr762. Sounds like an awesome rifle, the reason I wanted to know is because I'm not sure what rifle to purchase once i can gather up some money. Thanks for the info!

Charlie

Depending on how long you are planning on saving up your pennies, the MR762 MAY BE available by the time you are done saving. HK USA has pushed the release back at least once that I'm aware of and I really haven't continued to follow it all that closely beyond "sometime in 2011." The rifles ARE available elsewhere in the world to the best of my knowledge, so it should only be a matter of time before you start seeing them for retail sale here in the States.

If you want a high-quality, very accurate, piston operated AR-type rifle, I suggest the POF P-308. They allow you a wide selection of barrel lengths, all with high-end Rock Creek barrels (1:10 twist). They will allow you to use many components/stocks/triggers/etc. from the AR-15/AR-10 world to tailor the rifle to your particular needs (this is a HUGE plus to the HK which has extremely limited aftermarket support) and the price on the POF will likely be at least comparable, if not better than the HK.

I'm told the 417 can be very accurate but can also be somewhat inconsistent

How do you know it's not as accurate...? Have you shot one? What ammo have you tested? Your location is AZ but these rigs are not even available in the States........

The only negative report I have read was that they were jamming a bit in Norway during extreme sub-zero temperatures....and I am sure Knights will jam too. They have to be re-lubricated with a special grease for extreme cold usage, why didn't they ask the Finns or the Russians, - they have the expertise. You'd think the Germans learned their lesson in the WWII on the Eastern front...I guess they didn't.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VYD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you know it's not as accurate...? Have you shot one? What ammo have you tested? Your location is AZ but these rigs are not even available in the States........</div></div>

Was just wondering. I have heard a lot about the hk416 and was wondering about the 417. I know they are accurate but thought they were more of a battle rifle then a precision rifle like the sr-25. I know they are a hell of a rifle but wanted to know more.

Charlie

Updated on 6/11/10

The Lewis Machine & Tool (LMT) LM308MWSE Monolothic Rail Platform (MRP) 7.62×51mm NATO (7.62mm NATO)/.308 Win. (civilian legal) tactical AR rifle/carbine generated a lot of attention and interest at SHOT Show 2010. We presume that “LM308MWSE” stands for “LMT .308 Modular Weapon System Semi-Automatic”.

The LMT LM308MWSE 7.62mm rifle/carbine operates via direct gas impingement (DGI) a.k.a. direct impingement gas (DI gas) and has been adopted by the British Army, reportedly beating out the HK417 gas piston/op-rod AR rifle/carbine for the contract. The Brits ordered 440 units, designated the weapon the LM7, and then reportedly redesignated it the L129A1.

The purpose of the L129A1 is to provide British military forces with a 7.62mm semi-auto “sharpshooter” weapon enabling designated marksmen to accurately and reliably engage targets out to 800mm. Magazine capacity is 20 rounds, which allows for a lot of fast follow-up shots against fast-moving enemy targets, including vehicles. The MRP freefloats the barrel in order to maximize accuracy.

DefenseReview was informed (at SHOT Show 2010) that the British Army found the LMT .308 MWS MRP (LM308MWSE)/LM7/L129A1 battle rifle to be both more accurate AND more reliable under military combat test conditions than the HK 417. This is interesting, since the LMT .308 is a direct-gas-impingement (DGI) AR rifle/carbine, and the HK417 is a gas piston/op-rod AR.

Copied from defense review.

Big threads on m4carbine and hkpro discussing the differences and mil testing for the MRP and 417.

Most of "reviews" done by Military bodies are politically motivated. It happened in the M16 era and M9 Beretta era. Nothing new. And nothing, absolutely nothing, beats reliability of a gas-piston weapon. AK47 is the most remarkable testimony.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VYD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most of "reviews" done by Military bodies are politically motivated. It happened in the M16 era and M9 Beretta era. Nothing new. And nothing, absolutely nothing, beats reliability of a gas-piston weapon. AK47 is the most remarkable testimony. </div></div>

I beg to differ.

and FYI the Hk417 failed accuracy testing in the Germany Army SASS/DMR trial.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KevinB-KAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VYD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most of "reviews" done by Military bodies are politically motivated. It happened in the M16 era and M9 Beretta era. Nothing new. And nothing, absolutely nothing, beats reliability of a gas-piston weapon. AK47 is the most remarkable testimony. </div></div>

I beg to differ.

</div></div>
+1 I am surprised you where the first person to mention this since it has been all over the web. I like HK pistols but have never been impressed with the battle rifles. So many great American Companies out there that perform better IMO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KevinB-KAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I beg to differ.

</div></div>

We value your opinion. But...ahh...just show me WHERE exactly did <span style="font-weight: bold">I</span> say anything about Accuracy???

I shot both the 417 & SR25 side by side - both were in excellent condition with low round counts shooting the same BH 175gr. SMK BTHP's. The SR was found to be more accurate.......

I have both but I cannot compare them just because my SR25 is 24" while my MR308 is 16" , however my impression is that the SR25 is far more accurate , I have yet to see a more accurate semiauto SWS than the SR25

PP out

PP we need to get you the new gun...

The MR308 is reported to be by several folks testing them and the 417's to be more reliable and more accurate than the 417.
I'm not sure the how's and why's of it all as I would have assumed the MR308 was near identical to the 417 (just from a manufacturing standpoint it makes sence to have as much in common in your mil gun as it does for the commercial gun).

2 second Google search

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VYD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KevinB-KAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I beg to differ.

</div></div>

We value your opinion. But...ahh...just show me WHERE exactly did I say anything about Accuracy???</div></div>