• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hmr pro: pros and cons

300zx_tt

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2021
South East Pennsylvania
Came across a lightly used bergara hmr pro in 6.5 creedmoor for $1200 bucks. I was originally planning on buying a ctr based on some recommendations I received here, but I haven’t had much luck finding one. Originally I was looking at just a regular hmr, since the hmr pro was out of budget.
So the question is stock for stock would you rather have an hmr pro or a ctr? I’m not super familiar with either rifle, I know the bergara is compatible with Remington 700 stuff. Since they are essentially the same price, take that out of consideration. I plan on shooting it stock for a while before I do the whole chassis and tons of modifications.
I think the tikka is probably the better platform, atleast better action and trigger.
the stock is better on the bergara
They’re both very accurate guns and are most likely more than capable for what I’m doing. (Just started out with longer range stuff)

Get the Tikka, Bergaras suck!

Get the Bergara, Tikkas suck!

There, I've covered about 3 pages of posts with those two sentences.

Moving on. If you like the Tikka action better and believe it is better it is more sensible to change the Stock/Chassis down the road than it is to change the action.

Reactions: 300zx_tt
Personally, stock configuration I would go HMR.
I like the Bergara premier action better than the Tikka. People always compare the Tikka and the B14, and in that scenario I agree the Tikka is probably superior. The premier is noticeably better feeling than the B14 though.
Also the HMR stock is better for LR shooting.

Reactions: 300zx_tt
Get the Tikka, Bergaras suck!

Get the Bergara, Tikkas suck!

There, I've covered about 3 pages of posts with those two sentences.

Moving on. If you like the Tikka action better and believe it is better it is more sensible to change the Stock/Chassis down the road than it is to change the action.

so my thought process is, after a year of shooting it and wanting to modify it would I be better off moving to a custom action, and giving the stock tikka or bergara to my wife to shoot when we go... I have this weird thing where once I get into something I like to have the best I can afford... I just don’t know if shooting long range is for me, yet.... I have a feeling I’ll like it, but my wallet won’t.

so my thought process is, after a year of shooting it and wanting to modify it would I be better off moving to a custom action, and giving the stock tikka or bergara to my wife to shoot when we go... I have this weird thing where once I get into something I like to have the best I can afford... I just don’t know if shooting long range is for me, yet.... I have a feeling I’ll like it, but my wallet won’t.
My advice after spending too much money on this stuff. Find someone who will let you try their rifle and go with them to shoot long range. You will know pretty quickly if you like it. Then spend the money on a build.

If you think your wife will use the first rifle that's not a terrible way to go. If that's the case maybe get the Bergara since most custom actions will be on the same R700 platform. You could have interchangeable parts and chassis.

I’d rather have the hmr pro.

Much lighter bolt lift, bayonet style firing pin assembly, better trigger, Remington footprint, better stock, stupid accurate. Tikkas are the standard as far as I’m concerned for factory actions but the only stand out thing about them is their resistance to binding.

EBDF9F85-5536-499D-BB00-9FC5FB2F940B.jpeg

D4408F8F-38B2-4B5B-944F-14FE7209FFB7.jpeg

The HMR Pro should have a Trigger Tech Diamond in it. My Ridge Back did. Then its the 700 footprint so upgrading or changing is an open door. The HMR Stock is a desirable stock on the Secondary market if you want to replace it. I would go Bergara all day long.

I believe they usually have a TT primary standard or Timney on the older ones. So I would not expect a diamond on a used rifle.

Last edited:
Reactions: spife7980
I believe they usually have a TT standard or Timney on the older ones. So I would not expect a diamond on a used rifle.
TT Diamond Single is what came out of the factory on my Ridgeback 6.5 2 years ago.

Reactions: Vodak
I used to have an HMR Pro in 6 CM. Great rifle, very smooth action, good trigger, good barrel. I've written this probably a dozen times before, if not for getting my custom 6 BRA, I'd still have my Bergara.