• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hodgdon 50 bmg substitute

Wbg

Petty officer second class
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2013
VIHTAVUORI equivalent for 33xc and 375 mercenary builds. Retumbo worked well for my 338AI but I’m not so sure it will work well with the bigger cases and longer barrels?

VIHTAVUORI equivalent for 33xc and 375 mercenary builds. Retumbo worked well for my 338AI but I’m not so sure it will work well with the bigger cases and longer barrels?
I use Retumbo successfully in 33xc and 375 cheytac. Reloader 50 works also, but not as temp stable.

Talked to Hodgen rep at the Ohio State trap shoot he told me Hodgen is going to start making H50BMG again. He also said all major distributors will have it this fall.
That’s good to hear, I’ll keep my eye out.

Reactions: 20ozjolt
I use Retumbo successfully in 33xc and 375 cheytac. Reloader 50 works also, but not as temp stable.
I was playing with numbers on quickload and the pressures were coming up higher than the other powders. Was using a 375 case tho, haven’t learned how to create a case on QL yet.
Most likely will use the retumbo for the 33xc, only has a 30” barrel. Still leaning towards the slower stuff for the 375 merc.

I was at Shot Show and the guys at Hodgon said marketing was studying the idea of re importing H-50BMG. Sounds like they heard the market. I asked why the quit bring it in and they said in 2018 they only sold about 3000 pounds and with limited space on the ship from Australia they need the market to be bigger to make it worth the space it took up on the ship

Last edited:
Shit, I bought over 100lbs 869 one year alone... I can't believe they don't sell more H50 than that nationwide. But I guess I'm part of a handful of idiots that decided to load all ammo for an M2HB.

I was sorta wondering if I was gonna have to use 869 to light off tracers, I understand H50 is better for that. Uh, not to mention for the bolt rifle.

Reactions: Geno C.
THhe problem is they weren’t reading the future market. The ELR shoots are getting to be more and more popular. The big guns eat a lot of powder. 6or7:1 what a guys small gun eats. Some are even over that. They created a market shortage and now if they bring it back, they’ll do it at a higher price because people felt the pain of the shortage.