• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hodgdon CFE223 Accurate???

sigma2chi

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2010
Grovetown, GA
I am just getting started reloading and haven't even loaded my first round. That hasn't stopped me from stocking up on materials that were highly recommended. I have some Varget and quite a bit of H4895. I am pushing Sierra 168's through a 26' Kreiger barrel,

That being said, I am very interested in the bore cleaning properties of this relatively new CFE223 which Hodgdon says will work just fine in a 308.

Anyone have any experience good or bad with this powder?

I would LOVE to know if it is as accurate with my configuration as H4895 is supposed to be. I am going to order some and test it obviously but if anyone here can highly reccommend it I may place a larger initial order.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: Hodgdon CFE223 Accurate???

A good friend of mine just tried some of this powder out in both his 222 and a 308 last weekend. All told, he fired a dozen 3-shot groups, and altogether averaged just over .6". Smallest group he fired was with the 308, and it measured right at .3. He did notice when cleaning, the first patch through came out very black/gray, but he said it cleaned out after the 3rd patch through.

Also been looking at using it in my 308. I have used it in my ar15 with great results behind a 68gr bullet.

I've used it on .223. Out of my ARs it is more accurate than Varget and TAC and meters very well.

I'm currently running cfe 223 in both .223 and .308. I've gotten great results in both calibers. Definitely shoots cleaner, meters extremely well plus it's one powder for both! If I could figure out how to post pics I would. I've gotten .25moa out of my sps and .75 out of my AR which is good with me.

Hornady 168gr amax
48gr cfe 223
Black hills brass
Cci large rifle

Nosler 60gr varmint
26.4gr cfe 223
LC brass
Cci small rifle

I have all these powders you mention. I like H4895 and Varget both. Another is IMR 4064 that I really like too. I am currently working with the CFE223.

I shoot a 308AR with 16" JP match barrel. I wanted to run 178 AMAX but velocity lacks out of 16 inches. Then there's this CFE223 stuff. .75 groups going 2550 fps. Note that those are 3 shot groups, though.

Cfe223 makes it easy on the copper residue displacement I believe from a coating on the powder. It won't necessarily remedy carbon buildup, or maybe it kinda does come to think of it. But I'm after its performance. With the 168 AMAX I've recorded some top rounds going over 2700 fps.

Indeed try the cfe223. But please WORK UP YOUR LOAD SLOWLY, especially with this stuff. If you do not know about the OCW method of load development do a search for Optimal Charge Weight method. I treat OCW like its a bible, it works!!

Me likes the 178 AMAX, 46.8 gr CFE223, HORNADY Match .308 brass, rem #9 1/2 LRP. 2.810" average seating depth. I forget the ogive measurement, I have it though..... Oh it like 2.170" I think.

That H4895 you have there, good stuff. I've gotten best accuracy with that and 168 AMAX.

Keep asking questions!!

Buddy I shoot with has been using the CFE with 175gr out of his TRG. I've seen some pretty impressive results out to 600 yards with his groups.

I started to experiment with it before I sent my 308 off to get bedded in a new stock and saw some nice potential. Was able to get the 178gr's up to 2700fps (although I'm starting to suspect my chrono reads a little high) out of my 20" barrel. Really can't wait to get it back to play around with the stuff some more.

I tried it in my GAP .308, starting low and working up. One big thing that jumped out at me was its velocities - faster than about anything else I've tried at comparable powder levels. But then I started seeing pressure signs as I approached the max listed on Hodgdon's website. At about .5gr under max, I blew out a primer. That's when I stopped. That's the first time I've ever blown out a primer in a bolt gun.

Moral: Be sure and work your loads up slowly. I've never seen this kind of pressures when below the max.

CFE223 is very hard to set off with magnum small rifle primer CCI450 in 260 with 120 gr Bal Tip.

40 gr is the most CFE223 that will go off.

But despite the erratic ignition and velocity, it is a great powder for barrel break in, if you believe in barrel break in.

47grs with 168AMAXs & lapua brass got me this with both 2000MR & CFE223,(300yds) loaded some up(CFE223) for 600yds got me a 4.7" group. Vertical was less than 2.5".
IMG_0583.jpg

Similar to what others have said - I think it is a great product. These 5 groups were fired from 100 yards with identical charges - 43 grains of CFE, with CCI large primers, Lake City 2009 m60 machine gun fired brass, and cheap a$$ 147 grain military pull down bullets. I had my barrel cleaned in under 20 minutes, and another 10 minutes to lube and put away was the fastest I have ever cleaned it.

As for the target - The bottom right was a friend shooting (first time on my gun no less), and the rest were me. The top left was a control test - They were the only rounds to have been given a crimp. 14 in the top left, 6 in the top right, 14 in the middle, and 3 in the bottom left and bottom right.
07FCBF08-EAC1-4918-A49F-06A31EFD45CA-15315-00000BB142D7900B.jpg

Well that answers my question fellas. No need to order one pound when I can order 10
smile.gif

Also THANKS to everyone that took the time to post here, I appreciate your effort in squaring me away!!