• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hodgdon H1000 shortage

Loonhunter

Nasal Spelunker
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2019
Your Head
Anyone know why? Or when H1000 will reappear? I can’t find it locally or on most internet sites. Specially 1 pound jugs.

Depending on what caliber you need it for I get better speeds with retumbo with 338s too. A h1000 shortage forced me to try retumbo and I haven't looked back

Depending on what caliber you need it for I get better speeds with retumbo with 338s too. A h1000 shortage forced me to try retumbo and I haven't looked back

Very true. I do find it to run dirtier, but not anything crazy.

N.E. Ohio but thanks anyway

sooner than later i will be on that side of town at a southington match. i was going to list it soon in the for sale section if i didnt find anyone that wanted it. i have an 8lb can plus some singles unopened.

I'm still seeing it on the shelves around s.w. PA without much trouble but I already have a bunch on hand.
As above, try Retumbo, it may work better for you.

I have a 300RUM that lived on retumbo with it's first barrel then when I got it rebarrelled to a tight bore, min chamber Hart barrel, I had to change to H1000.

It seems Retumbo builds pressure very nicely but when it goes nuclear, it does it quickly. I'd go from no pressure signs at 3000 f.p.s. to stuck cases in .5 grain. I tried it, I had Hart try it....we determined that this barrel just does NOT like Retumbo, thus my change to H1000. It's proven to be a very powder efficient barrel while maintaining about .6 MOA accuracy.

I'm still seeing it on the shelves around s.w. PA without much trouble but I already have a bunch on hand.
As above, try Retumbo, it may work better for you.

I have a 300RUM that lived on retumbo with it's first barrel then when I got it rebarrelled to a tight bore, min chamber Hart barrel, I had to change to H1000.

It seems Retumbo builds pressure very nicely but when it goes nuclear, it does it quickly. I'd go from no pressure signs at 3000 f.p.s. to stuck cases in .5 grain. I tried it, I had Hart try it....we determined that this barrel just does NOT like Retumbo, thus my change to H1000. It's proven to be a very powder efficient barrel while maintaining about .6 MOA accuracy.

It does build pressure nicely. It's a good alternative to H1000 if you care not about temperature stability.

You want truly nuclear? Try some Vihtavuori N570! Your barrel's throat will not thank you, your results will.

I havent tried any of the Vihtavuori powders yet...they're harder to find locally and the Hodgdon Extremes have done well for everything I currently load for.

Retumbo seems to have vanished from the usual spots as well.

Anyone have a line on 8lb kegs online?

I always buy 8 pounds @ two containers for whatever powder I use!.
I still have 3 pounds of H-1000& 3 pounds of IMR 8208XBR!
I plan on purchasing 8lbs of R-16 in the near future.

sooner than later i will be on that side of town at a southington match. i was going to list it soon in the for sale section if i didnt find anyone that wanted it. i have an 8lb can plus some singles unopened.
Thanks but I found a one pounder at a Gander Mountain 90 min. Away. I’m going to work up a load for my 300wm using the new(ish) Hornady 225gr vld match and about the only load data I can find calls for h1000.

Reactions: briang7511
I always buy 8 pounds @ two containers for whatever powder I use!.
I still have 3 pounds of H-1000& 3 pounds of IMR 8208XBR!
I plan on purchasing 8lbs of R-16 in the near future.

I do the same for my high volume powders like BLC2 and 8208.

Figure 8lbs of Retumbo will give me nearly 600rds of 338LM shooting 94.7gr under a 285gr ELD-M. Combined with a 500pc case of bullets, 100pcs of Lapua brass, and Win LRM primers all from the same lot should keep the components as consistent as possible.

I called Bruno Shooters Supply this morning expecting to back order an 8lb jug of H1000 and the lady said she had ONE left in stock. Guess what I did....Yes, I scarfed it up. I was hoping to get two but that was the last one and she said they will not have any in stock for several months. She did say she has a bunch of 1 pounders but they are $30 each.

In a time of need I have paid stupid prices for 1 pounders. Sucks, but if you want to shoot you gotta do it.

In a time of need I have paid stupid prices for 1 pounders. Sucks, but if you want to shoot you gotta do it.

The customer rep that I spoke with a Brunos said that they are charged a lot more for the 1 pounders than the 8 lbs from the manufacturer. She said they only make about 8-10% off of the pounder to begin with.

I thought about it after I got off the phone with her and I called her back and added 8- 1 pounders and a box of primers to my order because the extra $40 or so dollars is negligible if I have to turn around and place another powder order in a couple of months...Sucks but the LGS around me are always out and charge $38 per pound.

The customer rep that I spoke with a Brunos said that they are charged a lot more for the 1 pounders than the 8 lbs from the manufacturer. She said they only make about 8-10% off of the pounder to begin with.

I thought about it after I got off the phone with her and I called her back and added 8- 1 pounders and a box of primers to my order because the extra $40 or so dollars is negligible if I have to turn around and place another powder order in a couple of months...Sucks but the LGS around me are always out and charge $38 per pound.

Not a bad idea, at least get your money's worth off of that HAZMAT in a way.

I've still got about 16 pounds of H4350 that I bought in 1 pound jugs (on top of the 8-pounders) when there was a huge shortage. I lucked out, they are all the same lot number :)

I think I am still sitting at about 20 pounds of H1000 - yeah I shoot a lot of H1000 and H4350!

PVI said H1000 will not be available until Mar/Apr timeframe (they posted it on FB during SHOT).

If anyone is in the SE michigan area and needs H1000 i have a new 8lb jug plus several singles that i no longer need. give a great deal for all of it. i also have some 215M primers. pm if interested.

Not a bad idea, at least get your money's worth off of that HAZMAT in a way.

I've still got about 16 pounds of H4350 that I bought in 1 pound jugs (on top of the 8-pounders) when there was a huge shortage. I lucked out, they are all the same lot number :)

I think I am still sitting at about 20 pounds of H1000 - yeah I shoot a lot of H1000 and H4350!
I asked the customer rep to make sure they are all the same lot number (1 pounders0. If not, then I would only get the 8 pounder. She was pretty sure they are all the same number but she is going to check.

Reactions: AIAW
PVI said H1000 will not be available until Mar/Apr timeframe (they posted it on FB during SHOT).
Yes, I've been calling around and everyone is saying similar things. Hard to believe this especially since there isn't a democrat in office...

Normall supply and demand. I imagine the factories cyclically produce batches of a particular powder no matter who it is. It ebbs and tides....

OK, my look is over. I have 16 lbs of H1000 (same lot) heading my way from Brunos with another 1k CCI BR2 primers...now I need another 1k Berger 168 gr VLDs and I'll be set for a long while!

In a pinch, try IMR 7828 or IMR 7828SSC. There is a new Enduron series that is similar but unsure of the name. It's a very clean burning powder for me and gives me 100% burn out of a 26 inch 338LM barrel.

Reactions: DMP
Unfortunately, the only signs are when people report outages. Then it’s in-stock one day and completely sold out the next.

You can bet sweet money on the fact that when H1000, Retumbo and H50BMG start to arrive in-stock that the above will be the case.

There are plenty of other powders that work equally as well, perhaps with a little more temperature sensitivity, but they do work well. RL33 happens to be just one of them!

Reactions: Geno C.
There are plenty of other powders that work equally as well, perhaps with a little more temperature sensitivity, but they do work well. RL33 happens to be just one of them!

Ramshot Magnum is one of my favorites. Also, the surplus powder WC857 is pretty bitchin.

I’ve talked to a couple people and what I’ve heard is that the DOD order for 300 norma mag ammo has taken it of the market. Same with the 338 lapua/338 norma mag and retumbo. I’ve always heard/thought that they would use canister powder that we aren’t able to buy but it could just be that the canister powders used for these cartridges are H1000 and retumbo. Pure speculation but it would make sense.

I've seen quite a bit of H1000 in the Cleveland, OH area.. also picked up 16 lbs of Retumbo a few weeks ago as well. It's starting to show up.

I hear that Vihtavouri N565 is almost the same as H1000. Any opinions?

I hear that Vihtavouri N565 is almost the same as H1000. Any opinions?

I'm finding N565 to be a good substitute for Retumbo....which according to what cartridge you are shooting....is probably a good substitute for H1000. I'm using it in a 300PRC for 225 ELD-M's and 230gr A-Tips.

Not to be one of these "I told you so" ninnies, but ever since these component crisis became the norm I've been buying powder by the 8 lb keg instead of individual pounders. I'm so effing sick and tired of working up a good shooting load only to have to switch components because I can't find something for four years. I've basically got enough to last me the rest of my life now, just got tired of dealing with the BS every time some lefty nutcase politician tosses out the idea of banning guns.

I recommend the next time you see your favorite powder in stock you buy enough to last you at least four years. The next shortage might not last that long, but it very well could.

Reactions: nn8734
Not to be one of these "I told you so" ninnies, but ever since these component crisis became the norm I've been buying powder by the 8 lb keg instead of individual pounders. I'm so effing sick and tired of working up a good shooting load only to have to switch components because I can't find something for four years. I've basically got enough to last me the rest of my life now, just got tired of dealing with the BS every time some lefty nutcase politician tosses out the idea of banning guns.

I recommend the next time you see your favorite powder in stock you buy enough to last you at least four years. The next shortage might not last that long, but it very well could.
Yes. I wish that someone had reminded me not to pick up a new caliber near the low point in the supply cycle though....

A few retailers told me H1000 was due to ship again in mid Jan and should be available on the shelves (probably for a few miliseconds) then.

DOD contracts have been soaking it up per these retailers.

I have 2lbs of it I don’t need, one is open. But I don’t think I can ship it.

I snagged 19#s from a private party about a week ago