• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hodgdon Powder & .45 ACP?

Bigwheels

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 16, 2007
    Anacortes WA
    I just bought a set of dies for my 45 ACP. Now I need to get powder, etc. What is the CLEANEST BURNING powder for 230gr jacketed in a full size 1911-A1? I'm looking to replicate my CCW load of 230gr. black tallons for practice. Thanks.

Re: Hodgdon Powder & .45 ACP?

Titegroup and Clays would be two good choices for a soft shooting load. To replicate a factory load you probably need to look at a slower powder. With a fast powder the perceived recoil will be less than factory loads.

Hodgdon's Universal Clays is their moderate burn-rate powder. Very clean. Similar to Unique.

4.0g Clays with a 230g hardball or hollow points shots great. Real close to factory specs and very clean.

3.6-3.7 Clays will make major and shoots great.

Clays will not produce ammo anywhere near "factory specs," so don't bother trying. But it makes great target loads at lower velocities and has much softer recoil.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ofcrfs242</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Titegroup and Clays would be two good choices for a soft shooting load. To replicate a factory load you probably need to look at a slower powder. With a fast powder the perceived recoil will be less than factory loads. </div></div>

+1. I use Titegroup for Jacketed bullets and clays for LRN. Titegroup is a litte hot when shooting lead IMO - too smoky.

I have found the same to be true, shotgun powders make very clean light target
    loads but don't work well for full loads and 230 ball ammo. I use 231 and put up
    with a little more fouling, it all has to be cleaned anyway.

For years my IDPA load has been 4.5 of Clays under a 200 LSWC.

Yes, I know it exceeds published data. Data is based on keeping the bore clean, not pressure.

As soon as I run out of Clays I'm trying W-W Autocomp. Hoping it will work as well as the discontinued 452AA.