• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Hodgdon Superformance Powder

vonbalkenbush

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2008
Reno, Nevada
Well, there was no publised data to start with so I started real low. Here's what I got:
Case: Lapua
Primer: CCI BR-2
Bullet: Berger 185 BT LR
Powder: Hodgdon Superformance

Ladder Test:

Charge Weight Velocity
43.0 grns 2200 fps
43.5 grns 2213 fps
44.0 grns 2215 fps
44.5 grns 2241 fps
45.0 grns 2257 fps
45.5 grns 2300 fps
46.0 grns 2334 fps
46.5 grns 2382 fps
47.0 grns 2397 fps
47.5 grns 2443 fps
48.0 grns 2453 fps
48.5 grns 2505 fps

Pressure was mininal in all tested loads (really dirty case necks). Hodgdon had no posted data for the .308, so I was pretty much flying blind. I'm not sure if this powder has any potential in the .308 or not, I'm gonna load up a few more rounds for one more outing and see if I can get any worth while velocities before hitting pressure, otherwise I'm just gonna scrap the project and agree with Hodgdon for not posting any data for the .308 win.

-SBS

Re: Hodgdon Superformance Powder

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SagebrushShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, there was no publised data to start with so I started real low. Here's what I got:
Case: Lapua
Primer: CCI BR-2
Bullet: Berger 185 BT LR
Powder: Hodgdon Superformance

Ladder Test:

Charge Weight Velocity
43.0 grns 2200 fps
43.5 grns 2213 fps
44.0 grns 2215 fps
44.5 grns 2241 fps
45.0 grns 2257 fps
45.5 grns 2300 fps
46.0 grns 2334 fps
46.5 grns 2382 fps
47.0 grns 2397 fps
47.5 grns 2443 fps
48.0 grns 2453 fps
48.5 grns 2505 fps

Pressure was mininal in all tested loads (really dirty case necks). Hodgdon had no posted data for the .308, so I was pretty much flying blind. I'm not sure if this powder has any potential in the .308 or not, I'm gonna load up a few more rounds for one more outing and see if I can get any worth while velocities before hitting pressure, otherwise I'm just gonna scrap the project and agree with Hodgdon for not posting any data for the .308 win.

-SBS

</div></div>

Nice i wonder what the results would be with the 175gr BT LR.

Knowing barrel length would be a nice touch.

Honestly, I appreciate these reports a good bit. I just suggest that some notes about the testing context can be helpful.

Doing a Google on "Hodgdon Superformance Propellant" the first link rendered this.

While no .308 data appears, enough info can be gleaned to deduce that this propellant is loaded with bullets that are both heavy and light for their chamberings, and in nearly all instances, with a compressed charge.

This set of circumstances is not something with which I'm familiar, and it decreases my comfort level. I would strongly suggest a careful pressure testing workup before attempting accuracy load development.

If my gut instinct is accurate, I suspect that once this propellant better known, this could become an important addition to our handloading cupboard.

Greg

Sorry guys, was in a hurry last night. Here's the rest of the tech info:

Temp: 36 F
Altitude: 5300 ft
Gun: Blueprinted Rem 700 with 25" Krieger barrel

Hope that helps. I'm taking it out again tomorrow. Gonna journery on up into the 49-51 grn range and see if I start getting any pressure. I'll keep you guys posted.

-SBS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SagebrushShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'll keep you guys posted.</div></div>

looking forward to it

Nobody post data for this stuff In .308 due to hornady blends about 40 or so different powders for their loads it is blended for case and bullet weight. I'm sticking to my Varget.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Robot Doc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nobody post data for this stuff In .308 due to hornady blends about 40 or so different powders for their loads it is blended for case and bullet weight. I'm sticking to my Varget. </div></div>

Well, I don't agree with not posting the data (or perhaps I am just misunderstanding your post, if so I apologize). Nothing I did was even close to being unsafe. That's why I started so low. However, I'm not that motivated to continue with this powder because I'm getting real Hornady Superformance numbers from Alliants new 2000-MR powder. You guys need to check out this thread:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2363447#Post2363447

-SBS

The only thing that makes me wonder about powders like the "Superformance Powder" is that the focus is all about hot rod velocity and there are attributes to powders beyond that, especially for an accurate and consistent rifle. In designing the powders like the Superformance Powder, have they essentially disregarded some of the other valuable attributes that make for a good and consistent accurate powder so as to put all the focus on velocity?

FWIW - If you are only getting 2500 fps out of 48.5 gr of powder in a 308 Win with a 185 gr. bullet, it seems to me the burn rate is not ideal for that arrangement (i.e. a little faster powder probably is what would work better).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rcw3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only thing that makes me wonder about powders like the "Superformance Powder" is that the focus is all about hot rod velocity and there are attributes to powders beyond that, especially for an accurate and consistent rifle. In designing the powders like the Superformance Powder, have they essentially disregarded some of the other valuable attributes that make for a good and consistent accurate powder so as to put all the focus on velocity? </div></div>

There are other attributes to powder selection that are important. However, the .308 was never designed with long range ballistic potential in mind. It is essentially a shortened 30-06 that was designed for the the sole purpose of better cycling in belt-fed machine guns and gas operated weapons. That being said, I'm always looking for ways to improve it's ballistic performance. It is the standard that all long range precision cartridges are measured by, but it's interesting to note that it was never designed for that. If NATO and the US military had adopeted let's just say the .300 Win Mag back in the 1980's for sniper use, we wouldn't be having this discussion about accuracy vs velocity in the .308 win.

-SBS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rcw3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FWIW - If you are only getting 2500 fps out of 48.5 gr of powder in a 308 Win with a 185 gr. bullet, it seems to me the burn rate is not ideal for that arrangement (i.e. a little faster powder probably is what would work better). </div></div>

I agree, I just wanted to see how it would stack up against Alliants 2000-MR. No where near the results I'm getting with that powder. Probably not gonna tinker with it too much again anytime soon, as I'm really happy with the results I'm getting with 2000-MR.

-SBS

Was this data gathered from one shot per charge or an average? The deltas are not linear at all.

Charge Weight Vel Delta
43.0 grns 2200 fps --
43.5 grns 2213 fps 13
44.0 grns 2215 fps 02
44.5 grns 2241 fps 26
45.0 grns 2257 fps 16
45.5 grns 2300 fps 43
46.0 grns 2334 fps 34
46.5 grns 2382 fps 48
47.0 grns 2397 fps 15
47.5 grns 2443 fps 46
48.0 grns 2453 fps 10
48.5 grns 2505 fps 52

It does look like this was a waste of components. Thanks for doing the experiment though. I was wondering about this powder myself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hntbambi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was this data gathered from one shot per charge or an average? The deltas are not linear at all.

Charge Weight Vel Delta
43.0 grns 2200 fps --
43.5 grns 2213 fps 13
44.0 grns 2215 fps 02
44.5 grns 2241 fps 26
45.0 grns 2257 fps 16
45.5 grns 2300 fps 43
46.0 grns 2334 fps 34
46.5 grns 2382 fps 48
47.0 grns 2397 fps 15
47.5 grns 2443 fps 46
48.0 grns 2453 fps 10
48.5 grns 2505 fps 52

It does look like this was a waste of components. Thanks for doing the experiment though. I was wondering about this powder myself.
</div></div>

This was a ladder, so I am assuming one shot of each. If you were to graph it and do a linear regression, it would probably come out looking alright. There is a lot of variation around a given single point.

As has already been mentioned, this Hodgdon SuperPerformance is really designed for specific cartridges and bullet weights. This formulation was not meant for 308. Hornady uses a different powder for their 308 where they get 100 - 150 fps more than is typical for the 178 grain hpbt bullet they sell.

We are in the next generation of powders right now... We can add 100 fps with less pressure than before. This is a glorious time.

Superformance.jpg

This should be pretty self explanatory. Blue line is actual data. Black line is a 2nd order polynomial trendline.

Just noticed you mentioning no pressure signs. Looks to me like you may be able to hit some nice velocities with this. Keep working up but be careful! Any idea how much you can fit in the case? Looks like 50gr might get 2650ish...that would be fantastic for a 185 in a 308, I think.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hntbambi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was this data gathered from one shot per charge or an average? The deltas are not linear at all.

Charge Weight Vel Delta
43.0 grns 2200 fps --
43.5 grns 2213 fps 13
44.0 grns 2215 fps 02
44.5 grns 2241 fps 26
45.0 grns 2257 fps 16
45.5 grns 2300 fps 43
46.0 grns 2334 fps 34
46.5 grns 2382 fps 48
47.0 grns 2397 fps 15
47.5 grns 2443 fps 46
48.0 grns 2453 fps 10
48.5 grns 2505 fps 52

</div></div>

This was a ladder, so I am assuming one shot of each. If you were to graph it and do a linear regression, it would probably come out looking alright. There is a lot of variation around a given single point.

As has already been mentioned, this Hodgdon SuperPerformance is really designed for specific cartridges and bullet weights. This formulation was not meant for 308. Hornady uses a different powder for their 308 where they get 100 - 150 fps more than is typical for the 178 grain hpbt bullet they sell.

We are in the next generation of powders right now... We can add 100 fps with less pressure than before. This is a glorious time. </div></div>

Yes, it was a ladder test. Only one shot fired per charge weight. I realize it wasn't intended for the .308 but I am always trying new things. I was pretty well maxed out in terms of case capacity, I don't think I can go much higher with this bullet. The Alliant 2000-MR was giving me 2760 @ 48.0 grns, much better results with that powder. I might play with this a little more, but it doesn't seem to offer any advantages over any of the other powders that are currently performing well in the .308, just my 2 cents...

-SBS

Oh, and those numbers were not average velocities from multiple shot strings. As previously stated, it was a ladder test.

-SBS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just noticed you mentioning no pressure signs. Looks to me like you may be able to hit some nice velocities with this. Keep working up but be careful! Any idea how much you can fit in the case? Looks like 50gr might get 2650ish...that would be fantastic for a 185 in a 308, I think. </div></div>
how about 2700+ with 208s?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drunkhumpinmonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
how about 2700+ with 208s? </div></div>

You're dreaming brotha. Not gonna get those numbers out of a mag length loaded .308, not enough case capacity and too much bearing surface from that bullet. Most of the loads I've run with that bullet have been around 2550 fps.

-SBS