• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hog Hunters & Dog dead in Cistern

JR_77

Stock Detective
Minuteman
  • Apr 24, 2014
    TEXAS

BASTROP, Texas− Three people from Florida fell into an underground water reservoir in Central Texas and died on Wednesday after trying to catch a dog that had fallen into the hole.

Authorities said the group was going to meet a friend to go hog hunting in Bastrop County, just outside of Austin. A dog escaped from their truck and fell in the reservoir, prompting three of the people to go after the dog.

Hydrogen sulfide fumes found in cistern​

Authorities smelled fumes coming from the hole and found high levels of hydrogen sulfide, a toxic gas common in septic tanks and wells. Cook said they speculate the gas affected the buoyancy of the water and caused them to not be able to float.
    “It wasn't long in the tank before they went to the bottom," he said.

Most of the ground water in that area has a high concentration of sulfer, my late dads place north of there has well water that's undrinkable because of the smell of sulfer .and cisterns are stagnant by nature unless there's alot of rain and we ain't had none to speak of for 2 months , so I bet that water was nasty.

Reactions: Stevo86 and JR_77
    Most of the ground water in that area has a high concentration of sulfer, my late dads place north of there has well water that's undrinkable because of the smell of sulfer .and cisterns are stagnant by nature unless there's alot of rain and we ain't had none to speak of for 2 months , so I bet that water was nasty.
    I know those hill country water wells can be notorious for sulfur. The article says the sulfur caused them not to be able to float?
    Or was the sulfur concentration so high there was not enough usable oxygen?

Actually the hill country wells are pretty good ,it's the blackland prairie wells that have the sulfer problem, I once lived on a place near Hamilton pool that had the best well water I've ever tasted.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie and JR_77
    Research H2S - issue around paper mills and gives that rotten egg odor. Naturally occurring around swamp, etc. It displaces the oxygen you need to breathe.

Worked in the oil and gas fields in the Four Corners area and always needed to be aware of the presence of sour gas around the well sites. At the time it wasn't uncommon to see skull and crossbones placards on well locations.

was the fbi involved , I feel like anything involving a dead dog and they are responsible . They would kill a pet pig as well , the fbi just dislikes pets maybe it's because they were bitten by dogs in the past and never got over it . but if you figure out that mystery you understand why animals in fields in the Midwest are found with no organs and zero blood .

H2S will have killed them.

I work in sewers and WWTP areas so spend a fair amount of time trying to not die underground. The stats I've been shown suggest 75% of people who die underground are attempting rescue of others - most of whom are probably dead already. While we all appreciate a hero, I'll ask that anyone who sees me lying in a tunnel or pit or pipe or whatever to take 2 moments and ask why, before joining me on the back page of the paper.

H2S will have killed them.

I work in sewers and WWTP areas so spend a fair amount of time trying to not die underground. The stats I've been shown suggest 75% of people who die underground are attempting rescue of others - most of whom are probably dead already. While we all appreciate a hero, I'll ask that anyone who sees me lying in a tunnel or pit or pipe or whatever to take 2 moments and ask why, before joining me on the back page of the paper.
    THIS^^^^

Reactions: JR_77
    It's a confined space.... I understand the emotion, but when you see a body or two at the bottom, time to stop and wonder why. This is hard to get through to emergency response folks. They have a natural tendency to want to help/rescue....which is a good thing with good judgment. Less of a problem these days vs 20 years ago it so.

H2S? They were dead in seconds. They didn't drown in water.
    Who is the retard that wrote this.
    "The H2S affected the buoyancy of the water?"
    No...you dipshit. H2S is toxic as hell, its natures nerve gas. They didn't get a chance to "drown"
    I too retired from Wastewater industry.
    You never jump in a confined space to rescue someone....ever, especially if it contains water.

It's a confined space.... I understand the emotion, but when you see a body or two at the bottom, time to stop and wonder why. This is hard to get through to emergency response folks. They have a natural tendency to want to help/rescue....which is a good thing with good judgment. Less of a problem these days vs 20 years ago it so.

Text book confined space disaster. Just as many potential rescuers die as original victims.

Without a monitor, if I remember correctly, after the first "sniff" you lose your sense of smell, typically the second sniff and you are down.
    Didn't work around wastewater/sewer gas but around high H2S in natural gas. That is some nasty stuff to work around.

Who is the retard that wrote this.
    "The H2S affected the buoyancy of the water?"
    No...you dipshit. H2S is toxic as hell, its natures nerve gas. They didn't get a chance to "drown"
    That’s what I was thinking when I read the article but I don’t have any direct experience to know for certain.

His explanation didn’t make sense.

When we had to enter voids or ballast tanks for maint or inspections offshore, we had to force-ventilate the space for hours and sometimes days before entering. Had to lower oxygen meters into the manhole and test for sufficient O2, H2S and any explosive gasses as well.

Actually the hill country wells are pretty good ,it's the blackland prairie wells that have the sulfer problem, I once lived on a place near Hamilton pool that had the best well water I've ever tasted.
    Yep to that. My ranch had a 550' well that had the sweetest water you could ask for.

Used to ride MTBs up at Rocky Hill Ranch in Smithville. After a ride they had showers/sinks you could use. Smelled like rotten eggs the whole time. Probably location dependant though.

1691762769051.png

I know those hill country water wells can be notorious for sulfur. The article says the sulfur caused them not to be able to float?
    Or was the sulfur concentration so high there was not enough usable oxygen?
    Journalists need not know anything. It's sufficient that the speak with conviction, no matter how stupid.

Yall who keep talkin about your water smelling like rotten eggs.
    Thats Sulphur Dioxide.
    Yes, you can continue to smell it, it will continue to have odor, it has a pretty high threshold for being dangerous.
    Hydrogen Sulfide is a whole nother critter.
    At high enough levels, you will cease to smell it, after an initial exposure. If concentrations are low enough, yes you can smell it for a few minutes.
    I used to work in a building that had a nearly continual concentration between 10ppm and 50ppm, on the press floor.
    You lose ability to smell it...trust me.

Reactions: Eddystone