• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Hog Huntig in FL

Doug Shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2007
Coral Springs Fl
Going hunting in a few weeks for hog. A guide is taking me and my brother. I have never been hunting and don't know what rifle to bring. Any input would be apprecaited. I can bring whatever I want but here are a few I am considering.

LMT 6.8 SPC with aimpoint and iron sights
DPMS 308 AP4 with ACOG
AUG clone with Leupold prismatic (was told a few people have used a 223) but not sure if its enough.

I will have a 45 with me.

Re: Hog Huntig in FL

Better take something like a 458 Magnum, they say those hogs get big. You say you have never been hunting. Do you know where to shoot an animal for a quick humane kill? Most any centerfire rifle calibers will work.

I have a good idea where to shoot for a quick kill. My brother will be hunting with a 50AE and I figure we can always use that if needed. I found the guide I will be using online and we talks about using a 243. I talked to a lady that works his office the other day and she said they got a 120 and 185lb with a knife recently.

Those hogs are not hard to kill, but if you wound one, be careful. No, you don`t need a 458, just joking about that. Good luck!

If you do luck into a very large hog their shield can act as armor plating. I had a hunting lease here in florida that had some very large hogs. In one case we had a .357 jhp not penatrate ths shield.
The smaller ones you can use almost anything to take them down. I have killed alot with my bow.
My son killed his first with a 45win mag. out of a 16" contender rifle I put together for him. One shot and it was DRT. Just don't gut shoot one; your work will be cut out for you then.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING

The DPMS 308 would be fun to kill hogs with. Hogs are not hard to kill. If you get up on a big boar then avoid shoulder shots. Hogs got big ole heads. Shoot em in the head!!!

Are you guys gonna use dogs??

Just for a real good time. If your guide has dogs get some southern boys to take you hog huntin at night with dogs. Catch em and cut em. SOme of the hog hunters I know are hard core!! They aint scared of nothin and no hog is to big to put your hands on. Now thats exciting!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doug Kelley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another question, he does both hunts with dogs and spot & stalk. Which one should I do?? </div></div>

Both. Spot and stalk in the daylight then run and stab some pigs at night. We've killed hundreds of them near Okeechobee over the past 10 years or so. There is no shortage of them down there. Typically they have meat hogs and trophy hogs. The meat hogs are always less expensive so warm up on a couple of them, then take a "trophy" if you want. The meat from the sows and just about any cut boar is excellent. Have killed several big boars where the meat was so bad I would not give it to my dog. We've killed them with knives, spears, 45 and 10mm handguns, and rifle calibers in 5.56 and up. Go for head shots if you are capable. Try the knife thing if you can. You will feel like a caveman afterwards. Have fun!