• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Hog hunting by chance

GBTX01

Private
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2001
Dallas, TX
My brother, two friends and I had the chance to go out to a friend's family land. We were planning on doing a little hiking and I was going to teach my brother and one friend a basic carbine class and AR15 operation (they just bought their first ones). We spent an afternoon going over the basics of the rifle system and combat shooting. When we got there the land owner said that the hogs were tearing up his pastures and to please shoot on sight. To date the biggest pig I killed was 170lbs.

That next morning I decided to go out and play with my suppressed AR-9mm and everyone else went out with their AR15s to walk around. Two of the guys spotted a group of 30 hogs under a pecan tree and engaged them killing three (50-100lbs)in their tracks and hitting who knows how many more. My brother shot at "large" pig on the move but it ran off and he didn't see a blood trail. I was walking down an ATV trail not too far from my brother when I heard a pig in the brush.

I went to investigate and so blood on the ground and as I come around the tree I see a 300+lbs Russian boar 20yds away thrashing in the brush. Unfortunately, all I could see was his ass and it was broader than my shoulders. I hit him 4 times with 147gr Win Ranger HP and that just pissed him off and he ran off. My brother joined me and we started tracking the pig. I know how the pig got so big because he lives in the thickest, nastiest, god forsaken piece of the whole property, A 40acre briar patch that is 5ft tall and full of game trail tunnels. We followed the pig for about 300yds saw it moving and shot it once with a .223 69grn SMK. before it ran deeper into the briar patch.

At that point I called no joy because it had become so thick the only way to follow the pig was to belly crawl down the trail and I didn't want to turn a blind corner and find a very pissed pissed!

Moral of the story is that a 9mm and a .223 are great for taking little piggies 25-125lbs range but a true large game round is needed if you stumble upon a big boy or the ability to work an AR trigger very quickly.

It was a fun hunt and good time with my brother. I'm not sure that even if were found the pig dead we would have been able to get it out of the briar patch. Both of us were scratched head to toe from the thorn bushes but we had a good story to tell.