• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hog Rifle for a Non-Hunting freind

bmt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2010
Skinner's Mudhole, Oregon
Hi guys:

I have a friend that owns a few "self defense" guns that I have recommended to him.

he carries daily (Oregon and Utah CHLs) and has been to ThunderRanch and a few other courses with me.

For background, he currently owns:

M&P Shield 9mm

S&W 696 44 Special (his first gun, i pointed him toward a large cal revolver and some training).

Mossberg 590A1

DPMS AR 15 with Eotech.

Now, he wants to go on a hog hunt with me (Cool). Hunt is in Kalifornia for no ARs.

He tends toward being a "prepper" and has a small stash of non-perishable food, and some water. This moves me toward the 308.

I am leaning heavily toward a Ruger Gunsite in Stainless (Its Wet, Western Oregon), with a Leupold Mark AR scope in 1.5-5.

That should meet his needs well.

Any other thoughts?

BMT

I'd go after a Remington 700 maybe like a .243 swap out the stock to an hs precision or a McMillan and bed it and put a viper pst scope on top. Just my thought of what I would want to go hogging.

Good Excuse to buy an AR10!
Otherwise any bolt gun in 308, 270, 30-06, etc will do just fine.

For something less expensive I would say tikka t3 lite in 308 or there scout version. You can always upgrade it with a better dbm system at a later point but the initial accuracy should impress

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Chop down a Stevens 200 in .243Win. Whatever scope he likes with the lower power range, and put the pig in the ground!!

DK

I always thought the 338 federal would make a kick ass hog round. With your buddies "prepper" mentality, the 308 sounds like a more obvious choice. It might not hurt to cruise the classifieds & pick up a used but not abused stick in .308. The gunsight would be a great rifle for <200yd piggies though.

t

He already has a ar-15, just get a different upper in a different caliber. 6.8spc, 6.5 Grendel, 450 Bushmaster, the list goes on and on and on and on and on.
Shame on you, you should have already thought of this.

Not a real savage guy, but I have to admit it is a purpose built rifle. Leupold hog scope and go hunting. The Ruger may be nice, but I would not mess with the whole DBM/Cali thing.

DBM in Cali is only a semi-auto/"assault weapon" issue based on features. AR's with a bullet button are also GTG (Calguns has a flow chart to show the ways to stay within the law).

In a manual repeater, just use 10-round or less mags and it's not a problem.

Tikka T3 light in .308 win, or a Remington 700 tactical AAC also in .308 win both with the best possible optic that would fit the budget.

With that said, I would not mind taking my 590A1 on a hog hunt or two, loaded with DDuplex steel slugs.

I had great luck around Kingston, CA river area using a Garand. Shots out to 150 and works great at short range in heavy brush when they are running at you;-). 450BM would work in a CA compliant AR. You don't need 10 rounds.

I got some 300 plus pounders with the Garand and it handled like a shotgun. What better prepper rifle can you have.

Excellent, had not thought of that . . . . . .

BMT

A friend of mine uses a Rem 700 tac aac bolted to an XLR carbon chassis. Its a good range and hunting rifle. A tad heavy if you hike alot, but thats all.
Keep it in the standard Hogue stock which is plenty good for hunting and it should work great.

I recently went from a Rem 700 to a Tikka T3 and it is a great rifle. I went pretty much all out with it, switching to a chassis and all that jazz, but it would have been an excellent hunting rifle as it was. With the exception for the plastic blot shroud which feels a bit cheesy. It is easy enough to replace, but I think Tikka should send all their rifles out with an alloy bolt shroud directly from the factory.

Too late to suggest an M1A? Outdated? Yup. I do alot of hog hunting in Fl and for accuracy and follow up, it does the job perfectly.A little heavy, agreed but still a piece of history that performs under adverse conditions.

Too late to suggest an M1A? Outdated? Yup. I do alot of hog hunting in Fl and for accuracy and follow up, it does the job perfectly.A little heavy, agreed but still a piece of history that performs under adverse conditions.

He already has a ar-15, just get a different upper in a different caliber. 6.8spc, 6.5 Grendel, 450 Bushmaster, the list goes on and on and on and on and on.
Shame on you, you should have already thought of this.

BOth the AR and the M1A are awesome hog guns. Complying with CA rules for one hunt is not worthwhile.

I told him about Jeff Cooper and the scout rifle and got a blank stare.

When I mentioned that the 700 AAC was the same "basic" rifle that the Marine Corps and SWAT teams use, he was VERY interested.

Its all in how you market it.

BMT

Also, looking at scopes for this Prepper/hog gun combo.

Might be a good place for the SS 3-15x42?

BMT

I run a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50. Not exactly a hunting specific optic but plenty capable as long as there is enough daylight. Try one out if you can find one at a dealer or range?!
I have no idea if its "prepper" worthy or not. You will have to be the judge on that.

I use my RC k98 byf 8mm Mauser for hog hunting, and the S&B 196gr SP bullets puts them on their butts consistantly. The 4x28 Leopold scout scope makes acquisition of moving hogs easy. Definitely not a set-up that you'll find ready to go at the local sporting goods store, but for hog stopping, it works great.
ScoutMauser_zps1377caf7.jpg

I'd grab a TIkka T3 lite or Savage 11 Trophy Hunter XP (comes with optic) in .308. The Tikka is the nicer gun for sure, but the 11 is a cheaper package, even with the Nikon optic (which is a decent hunting scope , but I'd upgrade the rings at least, probably the base too).

As far as optics go I'd stay under 10 power if only going to 200yds, and get something variable.

I'd suggest a Mossberg MVP Predator 5.56 based on my own experience with mine. This is a lighter weight, shorter (18.5" medium bull barrel) MVP. It can be fed from his existing AR mags and shoots palm-of-hand at 250yd for me with factory and USGI ammo. Combine it with this scope, and an LRF, and you have a decent yet affordable package.

Compact and wieldy, it can do the job with tougher loads.

...Winchester 64gr PowerMax Bonded .223 ammo. It's designed specifically for deer & antelope. And its accurate in my AR-15. Sub MOA @ 100.
Also works great on 200lb feral hogs!...

Handloaders might want to try this bullet, or simply go with the loaded ammo. Midway listing.

I also have a Win 94AE 44Mag Trapper Carbine with a dot scope, and while they are neither cheap nor easy to find, they are clearly capable. This is my brush gun for deer, and with Rem/UMC 180gr JSP's it's an accurate and relatively flat shooting, solid deer whacker.

Greg

Last edited:
i use my rc k98 byf 8mm mauser for hog hunting, and the s&b 196gr sp bullets puts them on their butts consistantly. The 4x28 leopold scout scope makes acquisition of moving hogs easy. Definitely not a set-up that you'll find ready to go at the local sporting goods store, but for hog stopping, it works great.
scoutmauser_zps1377caf7.jpg

i want one!

Bmt

UPDATE:

Thanks for all of the help.

I have discussed this is my friend and he is serious about the Remington 700 AAC and the NIghtforce SHV 4-14x56 MOAR.

Looking at Talleys for the mounts.

Any other suggestions are welcome,

BMT