• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hogsaddle use and deployment

huang

Private
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2007
I recently purchased a Hog saddle. I went with the PRS tripod and I am considering the Vanguard BBH- 300 ballhead, this head is rated to 66 lbs(Vanguard BBH-300 BallheadBBH-300 B&H Photo Video) as is similar to the Manfrotto 054 I do not foresee any problems.

This support method is new to me. Short of trial and error is there something those more knowledgable than myself are able to point me to. I read that using a sling wrapped around the leg helps. Pics or videos would help a lot. Thanks for looking.

Huang

Wrap the sling around the leg and torque the front of the rifle a bit and that helps reduce movement in the reticle, lean into the gun and put pressure on the tripod legs.

A heavy and sturdy tripod is good, the tripod approach is not conducive to rapid deployment but if you have time to set it up its more stable than sticks

LawnMM is saying to do this

USMC405.jpg

*pic from hogsaddles website*

I have found a lot of stability from doing this

usmc389.jpg

I employ this form of sling usage when standing and seated.

Thanks for the responses, in the standing pic where exactly is the sling attached? I am guessing it goes from the belt around the tripod to the rifle?

The pics are not of me but I will explain the standing pic.

I use the front sling attachment and have a carabiner on my belt since threading and unthreading my belt to the rear section of the sling is not practical. The sling should go between the legs to form somewhat of a triangle between the shooter and system.

A lot more points of contact are used and when done right is much more stable then locking the rifle to the tripod. Also recoil management is greatly enhanced.

The PRS tripod is a great piece of kit but using it as a stand-alone tripod to clamp a heavy 15+lb rifle in is not optimum. If you don't mind the weight you can buy some pretty inexpensive tripods that will hold a heavy rifle with less wobble. Notice I didn't say eliminate wobble.

Last edited:
I use a belt method also to sling up. Carbeaner on belt mad Carbeaner on sling so I can quickly deploy or exit the sling if I need to change position. Also arm totally outstretched to the leg but thumb down for more surface contact w the tripod. I can reliably tag steel at 650 meters using this method...very stable

And my wife keeps asking me why I think my daughter would want to go shooting with me? (Love this pic)

Actually met the guy that makes the hog saddle when I was shooting at Pala a few months ago. (Wanted to know about his tripod to use for my spotting scope. Only it cost more than my scope...) Really nice guy.

Wrap the sling around the leg and torque the front of the rifle a bit and that helps reduce movement in the reticle, lean into the gun and put pressure on the tripod legs.

A heavy and sturdy tripod is good, the tripod approach is not conducive to rapid deployment but if you have time to set it up its more stable than sticks

Hey bud! Any recommendations on a decent tripod for this purpose? I'm trying to find a reasonably priced one that will be a lot more stable than the one I'm currently using (a cheap half-broken one that was given to me). I don't have the Hog Saddle myself, but made a tripod saddle at home from scratch for such a purpose.

Also, are you using the Hog Saddle? If so, how do you like it? It looks like nice kit, but the price is a little bit unappealing to me (although, really, it's that way for everything in precision shooting, so I shouldn't be surprised). If you do have one, perhaps I can meet up with you at work one of these nights to take a look at it. My homemade one works, and cost me less than $5, but it does have some limitations!

Hey bud! Any recommendations on a decent tripod for this purpose? I'm trying to find a reasonably priced one that will be a lot more stable than the one I'm currently using (a cheap half-broken one that was given to me). I don't have the Hog Saddle myself, but made a tripod saddle at home from scratch for such a purpose.

Also, are you using the Hog Saddle? If so, how do you like it? It looks like nice kit, but the price is a little bit unappealing to me (although, really, it's that way for everything in precision shooting, so I shouldn't be surprised). If you do have one, perhaps I can meet up with you at work one of these nights to take a look at it. My homemade one works, and cost me less than $5, but it does have some limitations!

I have a Manfrotto 190x that works well, the 055 car on leg model would be better, plenty use the PRS Large tripods with success on a budget.

I have a hog saddle, works well but not the fastest to set up. Good for MIL/LE and recreation, not fast enough to deploy for competition in my opinion.

Probably better off linking up on days off

I had the 190xprob and now have the carbon legged version. To me the carbon leg version is the way to go due to vibrations, weight and noise factor (carbon does not ring like aluminum). For most comps where we can use supports such as this, the hog saddle for me deploys pretty quick. If you are looking to use a saddle type fixture then the hog saddle is the way to go. I had used the Larue LT-666 rail clamp for my Monfrotto before and was not very pleased with it. Also when not using a rifle in the saddle I throw my Leupold spotter in upside down and spin the knob and bingo no need to change plates etc.

I'm slowly learning that the PRS is a good tripod in lower positions like the kneeling, but in higher positions its unstable. I think i will eventually invest in the Bogen/Manfrotto 3221GN3 Tracker Tripod.

Been meaning to update my review of the hog saddle and get it listed on my site but there are only so many hours in the day and I'm lucky to get part of one of my two days off to work on stuff but its definitely on the list.

I would like to acquire a heavier tripod first, maybe its time to call PRS again and see about their HD model

I've been looking for a saddle myself, problem is everytime I find one on the hide its too late ;) lol

I would like to acquire a heavier tripod

As in physical weight or construction?

I've often looked and wondered about the PRS tripods but just couldn't get on board. Don't get me wrong, I look at the spec's and think that they would be ideal but how could a quality piece of gear be so much less expensive than comparable camera specific models.

They're hard to find used, I don't think many people get rid of them. I bought one through Ceylon and couldn't be happier with his first rate customer service.

Is there a somewhat standard Ball head that folks are using with the hog saddle? The 222 manfrotto head is only rated at 5-6 lbs IIRC. I currently have the PRS tripod (slik) but may add a 190 or 055 to the gear collection. The slik tripod with PRS saddle seems wobbly at taller heights,but is lightweight. However, I'm old and have shakes even w/o looking thru a rifle scope.;)

Try looking at these three models:
•Manfrotto 054 Magnesium Ball
•Manfrotto 498 Midi Ball
•Manfrotto 496 Compact Ball

Some guys even mount their HOG Saddle directly to the tripod without a ball head. I'd try it both ways and see what works best for you.