• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Hogster vs Pulsar XQ?

jeffl838

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2013
Does anyone have an opinion about this? Hogster seems to cost around 2.5k street price (vs XQ being 3.5k) and is smaller too.

With a 1280 display and 35mm lens... what am I missing? Why is the Hogster not the hotness vs the cheaper Pulsar stuff?

The Hogster has become the hottest selling thermal at Night Goggles and Night Goggles sells Bering Optics, Pulsar, Flir, and Trijicon to name a few. The combination of size, image, versatility, warranty (4 years)and price make it an extremely attractive option. It can also work very well as a scanner. They have 3 models with native mag of 1.4x, 2.0x, and 2.9x. They all have PIP and colored backgrounds and reticles. The newest Super Hogster has internal recording. I have access to all these brands and the Bering Optics Super Hogster is what I plan to run on my gun this year.

The Hogster has become the hottest selling thermal at Night Goggles and Night Goggles sells Bering Optics, Pulsar, Flir, and Trijicon to name a few. The combination of size, image, versatility, warranty (4 years)and price make it an extremely attractive option. It can also work very well as a scanner. They have 3 models with native mag of 1.4x, 2.0x, and 2.9x. They all have PIP and colored backgrounds and reticles. The newest Super Hogster has internal recording. I have access to all these brands and the Bering Optics Super Hogster is what I plan to run on my gun this year.
Thanks for the reply.

Why the super hogster over any other 640 product?

Thanks for the reply. Why the super hogster over any other 640 product?
I hunt very open country. So, for me, I prefer to have a higher native magnification around 3x. When you move up to the 640, 17μm models, it requires a very large lens (focal length) to get to the higher native magnification. Once you digitally zoom your thermal, even one time, you have lost your 640 advantage. Granted the 640 can cover more hunting situations if you need low mag for some terrain or species and higher for others. This doesn't apply to my hunting needs.

If you move up into the 640, 12 micron sensors and models, the prices tend to be 2-3x the price of the Super Hogster ($3,195). Is the image quality better, the answer should be and typically is yes. However, to me personally it isn't worth the 2-3x price increase. I can shoot well past 300 yards with a Super Hogster aided with PIP. I can PID animals further than I can shoot. I actually used a Flir PTS536 the last 2 seasons. I harvested over 300 coyotes with that scope. The Super Hogster's image is better than the 536. This is why it is important to talk to a quality dealer who will help you find what will work based on your needs not what is the most expensive. It comes down to want vs need. I don't believe a 640 thermal would have led to any significant increase in the number of animals I harvest per year. It also comes down to finding a thermal that the FOV and magnification fits your hunting needs. I do typically use a 640 thermal for scanning as I like the bigger FOV on my scanner which the 640 models can provide. Last year I used a Pulsar Helion XP38 as my scanner and this year I plan to run the Bering Optics Phenom.

Cheaper, isn't always better. You have to watch many of the entry level thermal units because they struggle in high humidity . PID becomes an issue and it can be very dangerous. All the Hogsters do a really good job in high humidity and they are very difficult to beat for the money.

Last edited:
The attached comparison is pre-Pulsar firmware update 4.0 for the Trail XQ line...so there is a bit more clarity for the XQ38 now.

This was done around the beginning of March of this year.

Thanks for the reply. Why the super hogster over any other 640 product?
For $3195, I have found no other thermal weapon sight with the range, image quality, warranty, size, features, and accuracy of this thermal. This was the last time out coyote hunting with this unit. Sorry for the shaky video at 4:00 as I spotted this coyote outside my truck, and had to get out and freehand a shot.

I've heard people say thermals don't group well. If that is the case, they are using the wrong thermal if their guns can shoot. This is a picture of two groups when I zeroed my Super Hogster and neither were shot off bags. One laying prone off a bipod and a 2nd off a Night Stalker tripod.

Attachments

• group1.jpg
    group1.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 100
Very new to thermals and looking for info! I know a guy with a pulsar trail lrf xq50 for sale between that and a new atn thor 4 smart. Any advice??

I got a 25mm Hogster-R earlier this year and have been very pleased with it. With this quarantine I’ve had the opportunity to make 40-50 something trips, all riding around in dusty bumpy conditions on a UTV. It’s been on a few different SBR’s, and even seen about 300 rounds of 308 on bolt action rigs. I’m not pro staff for anyone. Just a family man that wants to own a Nightforce AND a thermal. Haha!

I have spent plenty of time behind both Trijicon and Halo thermals owned by my hunting buddies. They are in a totally different ballpark than my Bering Hogster-R. That has resulted in them seeing or killing a hog when I couldn’t 1 out of every 30 times, maybe. In all fairness, I can see coyote hunting being a little more demanding because they are solo and much harder to pick up.

I went with Hogster for native magnification and FOV. Didn’t like what Pulsar had to offer. I do still hesitate on longevity and warranty issues, just because apples to apples Pulsar at least has a history you can look at and make decision on. So for scope function in the field I love my Hogster and it comes with a healthy recommendation from me. I think warranty/longevity/support is going to be fine. Honestly, after using this optic for a while now I’m happy I rolled the dice for the amount of money I have invested in it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 260284
Very new to thermals and looking for info! I know a guy with a pulsar trail lrf xq50 for sale between that and a new atn thor 4 smart. Any advice??
ATN is to thermal what sniping in a video game is to sniping in the USMC. If you want gear you can use for an actual purpose, avoid ATN. Some will now post saying "after they shipped me 4, one worked okay, so you are wrong...", and I am willing to live with that.

On the Pulsar, I'll let someone else chime in.

But I can cast a another vote to the Hogster. I have run mine side-by-side with much more expensive stuff, and I'm still glad I got the hogster.

Yet another video with the Super Hogster. I am more and more impressed with this unit every time I use it.

Yet another video with the Super Hogster. I am more and more impressed with this unit every time I use it.

Can't argue with the results, but then I think you'd be just as deadly with almost any thermal.
The only downside I had with my XP was battery life and only having one spare because I couldn't find any aps batteries for sale, but I bought extra batteries, so no big deal now.
If my XP ever shits the bed, I'll take a look at the super hog.

Can't argue with the results, but then I think you'd be just as deadly with almost any thermal.
I'll take that as a compliment. I have killed coyotes with lots of different brands of thermals but in the last 4 years mainly with Pulsar, Flir, and Bering Optics.

Night Goggles sells Pulsar, Flir, Bering, and Trijicon. On top of this, I don't receive any compensation on commissions, so anything I say has nothing to do with me getting compensated for saying it. If people want to go Pulsar or any of the other brands, I hope they choose Night Goggles as they are a great dealer. I will repeat what I have said in this thread and others, for the price, I have not used a thermal to date that has the versatility, image, and warranty of the Hogsters. For me coyote hunting in very open terrain, the Super Hogster has been awesome with 2.9x base and 5.8x PIP. It has done everything I have asked of it as a thermal weapon's sight. To date, I have only harvested around 50 coyotes with it. We will see if I say the same thing after several hundred, but so far so good.

However, to your point, yes I could have probably killed these 4 coyotes with what sounds like a Thermion XP scope. The great news is I don't have to spend 5K to do it, and I have the Bering Optics 4 year-transferrable warranty backing it. Choices are a good thing.

Last edited:
what kind of battery life is the norm with a super and regular 123's?
CR123s should last about 4 hrs in warmer temps. I would highly recommend a battery pack like the Night Goggles TRB. With this, you should get over 10 hours. Plus the TRB has an Anker 6700 battery pack inside that is easily swapped with no tools. You could get another spare battery for around $20 off Amazon and you would have 20+ hours.

How do the Hogsters hold up to recoil?
I currently do not have property to hunt but would like get a thermal in the future.
It would most likely live on my 450 bushmaster, aka the mule, and my main concern would be the kick which has left me with a 2 week bruise on my shoulder in the past.

They hold up to recoil very well, but a 450 is a lot of recoil. The official response from Bering Optics is:

The Hogsters are rated to hold peak shock acceleration (parallel and perpendicular impacts) up to 1000G which is about two times more than .308 recoil may produce.

Does this equate to a 450 Bushmaster, I cannot say. Two times more than a .308 is around a .375 which is what Pulsar typically states but Bering is being conservative as they do with most things stating .308. Their goal is "Under-Promise and Over-Deliver" which is a nice change. Per this Recoil Table, the 450 listed is about 2.5x that of a .308. I think that would discount many thermals.

Thanks for the info.
Sounds like the 450 might be to much for a thermal.
Spending Thermal kind of money for something that my mule may kick to death doesn't work for me.
I may look into figuring out the exact recoil of my setup.
I have not fired it since upgrading the buffer and spring but don't know how much that will help.

What is expected range of encounter? And do you have NODs? A laser can take the kick, and head-mounted NODs are good. it ain't thermal, but that isn't a long range setup anyway.

Firearm weight has a lot to do with it - I doubt the 450 Bushmaster generates anywhere near 2.5X’s the recoil of a 308. That chart doesn’t show the 450 bushmaster but a quick internet look see and I came up with 20#’s max with a heavy bullet and 8# firearm. I think you’re good to go with the Hogster - your body build might take a beatin‘ but that Hogster will just keep on keeping on.

What is expected range of encounter? And do you have NODs? A laser can take the kick, and head-mounted NODs are good. it ain't thermal, but that isn't a long range setup anyway.
Range of engagement would probably max out at 250 yards.
My current NV is a Yukon nvmt, let the laughter begin.
I do have the rifle eyepiece on it but it I have not yet made an adapter to mount it on a rifle yet.
I don't know if I want to go to head mounted unit.

Firearm weight has a lot to do with it - I doubt the 450 Bushmaster generates anywhere near 2.5X’s the recoil of a 308. That chart doesn’t show the 450 bushmaster but a quick internet look see and I came up with 20#’s max with a heavy bullet and 8# firearm. I think you’re good to go with the Hogster - your body build might take a beatin‘ but that Hogster will just keep on keeping on.

Fully loaded with all three 7 round magazines the rifle weighs right around 15 pounds.
I did not do myself any favors as far as weight goes by using lighter weight V7 titanium products.
I am hoping the upgrade to and enhanced heavy buffer and thicker but pad will help mitigate the felt recoil.

Agree if it is only 20 ft. lbs you should be OK if that number is correct. I saw 450 on the list but didn't see Bushmaster and it was over 50.

That's a 450 Nitro Express. It is a hammer. Big league dangerous game cartridge. About the same fps as 450 bushmaster, but in a 500 gn bullet.

After looking at the Hogsters it looks like I should be looking at the Beast in either the scope or clip on.
The scope states it is rated for high recoil weapons.
The clip on states it is rated for 50 bmg which would be a plus since I have a ferret 50.
And here I thought I would not want a clip on. Guess I was wrong.

I really like the Hogster and Phenoms from Bering. I have used the Beast-R and did not feel it met my expectations compared to the other thermals already mentioned. The image is not nearly as good and the interface is really difficult to use but if you require a .50 cal, then your choices are limited.

Last edited:
Makes me wonder what the $200K in thermals I'm sitting on is getting me. :unsure:
Status, man Status.

Need to do one of those Grey Poupon commercials on you and Elite pulling up in some Bentleys sharing thermal. :LOL:

That's a 450 Nitro Express. It is a hammer. Big league dangerous game cartridge. About the same fps as 450 bushmaster, but in a 500 gn bullet.
Momma told me don't play with anything that says NITRO on it. Potential loss of digits and other stuff, she said. :LOL:

I called around last night to a few “ big bore” fellows and found a guy who shot the 450 Bushmaster using factory ammo - both the 250 grain and 300 grain rounds. Thought the rifle weighed somewhere around 10#’s with the mounted optics. Recoil was like a 243 Winchester bolt action in his opinion - his 12 gauge 3-1/2 inch kicked twice as hard.

I had a 450 Marlin and shooting the commercial 350 grain Hornady @ 2,100fps off the bench got my attention for the 1st round - thinking I held it too loose to my shoulder I cranked off another - naw, that baby kills on both ends from the bench seated. One needs to stand on their hind legs and enjoy the discomfort in whatever manner they choose.

Maybe find a 450 bushmaster internet site and communicate with them on felt recoil - I’m thinking any Hogster will hold up to the recoil generated by that sissy round.:)

High recoil weapons in my opinion start with the 338 with the 378 Weatherby, non ported, being a nasty one.

Momma told me don't play with anything that says NITRO on it. Potential loss of digits and other stuff, she said. :LOL:
Those old English rifles are pretty bad ass. From when men were men. On the right is a 308 case. Both are 450 NE, a long and a short.

1602946085002.png

Reactions: WhereNow&How
I really like the Hogster and Phenoms from Bering. I have used the Beast-R and did not feel it met my expectations compared to the other thermals already mentioned. The image is not nearly as good and the interface is really difficult to use but if you require a .50 cal, then your choices are limited.
I don't need a thermal for the 50.
But if I went with the beast then I would have gone with the clip on as apposed to the scope.
If the Beast does not hold up to the others then I will pass on it.

Thanks for all of information.

To the OP sorry I did not mean too hijack your thread.

How does the hogsters display perform in cold temps. -20F isn’t uncommon in my area. My normal hunting temps will be -5 to 30F
It is rated to -14F. I live in ND and it doesn't get a lot colder. Along with using cold weather screens, they direct heat towards the screens internally to help them stay warm. I wouldn't leave it at -30F for a long period of time, but making a stand at -20 below should be fine as long as it isn't left out in those temps for prolonged periods.

Well I’m just a few miles south of you then, east central SD.
How about fov? Hogster 25 vs thermion xq38? Mostly coyote hunting at 100-200 yards
It is rated to -14F. I live in ND and it doesn't get a lot colder. Along with using cold weather screens, they direct heat towards the screens internally to help them stay warm. I wouldn't leave it at -30F for a long period of time, but making a stand at -20 below should be fine as long as it isn't left out in those temps for prolonged periods.

edited to add yardages

Last edited:
Well I’m just a few miles south of you then, east central SD.
How about fov? Hogster 25 vs thermion xq38? Mostly coyote hunting at 100-200 yards
I would compare the XQ38 more to the Hogster 35 and the Super Hogster. I have included a chart below. What you want to look at is FOV and magnification. You can see the XQ38 falls in between these two models. All the models have PIP which helps extend the range some without sacrificing FOV.

The Hogsters have an extra year of warranty, and in my mind are more versatile as they come with a QD (Bering calls it QR) mount. They are so compact and light they can be used as a scope and/or a scanner. I have personally found the image to be less impacted by humidity. I haven't used the Thermion XQ38 but have the Trail XQ38 and I would rate the image better on the Hogsters especially in high humidity.

The Thermion XQ38 has video and audio recording where the Hogster 35 has no internal recording, only video out and the Super Hogster records video but no audio. The Thermion due to the traditional scope design can be better suited for bolt action guns. The Thermion has more reticles. It has a longer lasting battery system. However, they are expensive and proprietary. The PIP of Pulsar allows for changing zoom of the PIP without changing the zoom of the base image. The Hogsters PIP is always 2x of base.

For my style of hunting, a Bering Optics Super Hogster on my gun and the newly released 640x480 12µm Bering Optics Phenom as my scanner is an incredible combination for coyote hunting. You can scan with a thermal weapons sight but that can be dangerous if hunting with other people. It also causes fatigue looking through a gun scope for an entire stand, and hunters tend to miss animals approaching from odd angles. If you are serious about night hunting coyotes, I recommend having both.

thermion_xq38.jpg

Last edited:
All depends on FOV and needs. In my opinion, it is the best buy for open plains hunting like I do for coyotes. However, if someone told me I am hunting coyotes but will not be using a scanner so I need a wider FOV, I would go with a Hogster 35 for instance. This is why you should talk to a knowledgeable dealer like Night Goggles who can get you in the best option for you. I sent you a message with my contact information if you wish to discuss what thermal makes the most sense for your application.

Last edited:
The more I look the more I am leaning towards the Hogster 35 for close around the farm.