• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hogue Over-mold Stock Mod - Pistol Grip Extension

Dukhunter20

Private
Minuteman
May 22, 2011
I have recently been getting into bolt rifle shooting. My first purchase was the Remington 700 AAC-SD. This rifle is fairly well known now on the forums so I will skip the details. I wanted to get the most out of the Hogue Over-mold stock. So far I have added a kydex cheek piece and bedded the stock with JB-Weld. My goal is to eventually make a custom stock for this action, so I have added a pistol grip extension to give me a better idea of the exact measurements I will want to use. This extension was constructed from Kydex, 1/2" dowel, and a 2" sheet rock screw. I obviously don't care to much about the looks right now. Again this is for measurement reference and making sure I like that style of grip. Thanks for checking it out.

imagertcs.jpg

imagenat.jpg

imagezkbh.jpg

imageabi.jpg

Really dig this, I was just talking with a buddy on how to do this. I have the hogue stock and want to do something like this to actually use. How rugged/reliable is this set up? Would you use it in the field? Thanks again

It feels pretty solid, however a swift smack on concrete would probably loosen it up. I was thinking of adding another dowel post and filing the void with expanding foam or something. As for now I think it will do fine for me.

That's a great idea. You could also use steel epoxy to fill in the void. That maybe more durable than just the dowel and screw. Either way, good job on making things work.

Very cool idea. I've thought long and hard about doing something on my M40 Medalist to give it more of that grip angle. The steel putty would be a great idea. Sort of build it up like using playdough then sand it to the desired shape.

Charlie

Looks pretty good overall! I would definitely look at some lower profile nuts for the cheek piece as it doesnt look like it would be much fun to shoot offhanded right now but other then that I like these improvements! I have been looking at getting one of these although I would likely just swap the stock out right off the bat.

Thanks all, I was considering the steel epoxy to fill the gap. I might try it this weekend. B3dlam, I will probably order some threaded knobs or something lower profile to get rid of the wing nuts. My chin rest right between the two wing nuts so shooting offhand is a no go right now.

I have the same rifle, and an unwanted Glock holster. Your idea is about to be replicated in Canada. As much as I want a certain stock, my fiancé would have my head on a platter if I made any substantial firearms related purchases at the moment.

How do you find it in terms of comfort in relation to the size of your hand? I have large childrens hands so I would be worried about it being too big for me.

I have the same rifle, and an unwanted Glock holster. Your idea is about to be replicated in Canada. As much as I want a certain stock, my fiancé would have my head on a platter if I made any substantial firearms related purchases at the moment.

How do you find it in terms of comfort in relation to the size of your hand? I have large childrens hands so I would be worried about it being too big for me.

Can kydex be remolded? I only need to take out a few screws and this glock holster will give me more than enough to do this mod.

Can kydex be remolded? I only need to take out a few screws and this glock holster will give me more than enough to do this mod.

I have never completely remolded any but I have heated and adjusted the molding basically remolding items before on items that didn't fit perfectly.

Sent from my iPad autocorrect at your own risk.

Comfort is nice. I needed to do a little adjusting before mounting to the stock to achieve it. The distance that I used it controlled by the dowel where the screw goes through. If you needed to you could change this distance to best suit your hand size.

Kydex can be remolded. Just be careful because you can over heat the kydex and cause it to melt slightly. 225 F is usually a good temperature to work at if you can control it, or if you have a heat gun then warm the kydex until it is malleable.