• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Holes in Bolt Handle

Buddhapapa

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2004
Kennewick, WA
Hello Hiders,

From time to time I see a bolt handle on a rifle with holes drilled in it. I assume that it is for lightening purposes.
What effect does this have on the strengh of the handle or is it safe to do so?

Thank you,

[email protected]

Re: Holes in Bolt Handle

With all the horror stories I hear about un-touched bolt handles breaking, taking material away would serve only to increase the chances of breakage.

What you hear about untouched handles breaking is that theyre breaking off of the bolt. The silver solder is breaking.

The handle isnt actually breaking in half.

Even with these holes milled into the handle like the OP is describing, it'd be hard to snap a handle in half unless you beat on it with something.

The silver solder is what breaks loose.

You wont snap a handle in half unless you mistreat it. However, those holes arent doing a damn thing to help in any way.

Theyre just for looks, like fluting.

I too agree that the amount of weight reduced is not worth the effort. I have done a few at the request of the customer for looks only. I personally like it on hunting rigs but not on tactical field rifles.

Like this?

IMG_1166.jpg

I have several HUNTING rifles with this mod, I know a couple guys that do that on all the ultra lite hunting customs. I have not seen one break yet though.

In the quest for the lightest rifle, you have to cut ounces to make cuts of pounds, just like a race car or bike.

A hunting guide once told me that it's better to shave the pounds off the hunter than off the rifle.

Maybe I oughta listen to him.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DANS40X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Reducing the weight of the handle reduces harmonics at the attachment location.
Adding TactiCool bowling balls to the handle increases harmonics, increasing the likelihood of handle/attachment failure. </div></div>

i haven't seen a bolt handle broken off with harmonics but i have with leverage.

i wouldn't waste my time putting go-fast holes in a bolt handle. there just isn't enough material available to remove for weight savings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DANS40X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Reducing the weight of the handle reduces harmonics at the attachment location.
Adding TactiCool bowling balls to the handle increases harmonics, increasing the likelihood of handle/attachment failure. </div></div>

Surely these statements have been evaluated and tested, I mean, nobody makes unqualified scientific statements on the internet, do they??

I wouldn't add holes to the handle of a gun with any kind of tactical bolt knob, due to the added leverage created by the extended length on the handle. On a lightweight hunting gun with a stock knob that added leverage isn't there, so have at it.

-matt

I have never seen any crucial advantage to any sort of bolt handle modification. They all work just fine for me. I have more important issues to resolve. Period.

Bolt handles don't break (pretty much always), unless the shooter is doing something inadvisable with their ammo anyway.

It's not a 'bolt problem', it's a 'user problem'.

Greg

Some post traumatic stress guy with a Ghillie suit and green truck was hauling a bunch of us other engineers to the National Forest North of Darrington for surplus rifle blasting and eating MREs back in 1994.

A spectacular display was when a case got stuck in the FAL I built.
Our Leader jumped on the Cocking handle knob (47) like a pogo stick and came down on it like he was starting a Harley. The case came out.

When I look at how a Rem700 handle is soldered to the bolt body, I think, "not ready for combat.. bench queen".

Guys who buy custom Mausers pay as much as $1000 extra to get a bolt handle that is one piece forged with the bolt body, rather than welded on.