• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hollow Point variations

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

OVER....
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2010
BF East Texas
Out of the 75 Hornady 178 HPBT I just loaded I noticed variations in the hollow point hole size. About 6 larger than average and 3 smaller. I will cull these for spotters.
Should I be concerned about this affecting ballistics?

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

Re: Hollow Point variations

From photo observation, that would'nt bother me and I never related any real recordable effects to same observation. Be carefull as one often shoots (groups) what they expect to shoot. I've witnessed this in pet loading during load development.
The diameter does'nt mean much but a center-mass offset would have an ill effect, And I highly doubt this is any issue here. I am not a bullet scientist.

You could have some added range fun with your attention to detail and curiosity: You separated 9 "bad".
Separate four (5) cartidge groups:
Two groups of (5) "good" ones for control groups and then split the 9 into two 5 shot groups (you'll need to add a "good" one or find another "bad" one).
Have a range buddy load/feed the groups to you blindly & randonly (helps with a 5-shot mag system). This experiment obviously assumes same conditions across groups (cold-bore, (ahem; warm up), trigger puller, reloader & environmentals included).
All-else the same, I doubt you will record any ill effects.

For 800-1000 yard work, the bad noses will not fly as well.
For 600 and in it really does not mater.

I am loading these for a 1000yd F class this weekend hence my concern. Not to pleased with the not to uniform tips on these bullits. Thinking A-max might be more consistant.
Anyone compared .308 HPBT vs A-max at 1000?

hmm... point-trim-repoint
for now that might exceed my analness (anality?)level.
I think I will load some 178 amax and shoot half a match with each and see. I will probably see that I am just overthinking for my experiance level.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchAlsup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Probably a little late for this weekend, but see:

http://www.6mmbr.com/bulletpointer.html </div></div>

Meplat size has a large effect on the overall drag of a projectile and subsequently if that is the only change you will see a BC change which will manifest itself as vertical dispersion.

If you're really trying to hone in on the performance then just sort them out and load some more "average" ones.

The dispersion that this variation size will cause is likely on the order of 1/2 MOA or less across the maximum change. This is likely inside the general capability of the rifle with all things considered, probably not something to be too concerned with.