• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Holosun AEMS

The King

Back to the Range
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Sep 17, 2004
    Florence, CO
    Ahoy mateys!

I just wanted to drop off actual information regarding the usage of firearms here - as rare a topic of discussion that seems to be in the last year.

For some background information - a red dot/holographic sight can be used to shoot under NODS without tell-tale emissions going back to your adversary - in my case a large series of completely mean steel plates that have tried to kill me multiple times.

These steel plates can obviously zero in on my position because they start slinging lead back at me 1/4 of a second or so after I shoot them, and they are tough sons of bitches as I have only downed a few of them in my career. Fuckers are so tough they don't even run when I start shooting or take cover or anything. I'm beginning to suspect I'm shooting at an army of Chuck Norris clones.

In order to perhaps dodge the return fire a little better, I wanted to give these plates less warning in the future. Hence the desire for a better passive aiming optic.

A little birdy told me the Holosun AEMS was as good as the Eotech's under NVG's. I didn't believe said birdy, in accordance with instructions from my psychiatrist.

I dug a gun back out of the trash can before the garbage truck arrived and tossed it on there to see how it worked.

1638026651343.jpeg

To make a long story endless, the birdy was pretty much right. I cannot discern a difference between this unit under nods and the Eotech. Last night was 0 illum pretty much, and we went off to the deep dark areas and it worked great for passive aiming.

For comparison, the Vortex AMG UH-1 Gen2 and the older Holosuns sucked in comparison.

I've also compared "the three", AEMS, UH-1, and EXPS3. I would agree the AEMS seems pretty nice for the price (I got mine for $320 shipped). The biggest negatives is the obvious fisheye and tinted glass. The UH-1 in comparison is 100% crystal clear with zero fisheye what so ever, it's pretty amazing how it appears that there's no glass at all. Having said that, I did but another AEMS to replace my UH-1. There's so many benefits of the AEMS over the UH-1 it's really not a fair comparison.

I don't see the mount as a negative as others do because the EXPS3 and UH-1 also use proprietary mounts. To me it's a moot point and anyone arguing otherwise is being pedantic.

I think I'm going to wait a bit before I swap out my EXPS3, still not 100% sold on the Holosun's reliability. Not because it's Holosun, but because it's such a new and drastically different design.

I will point out I think the new Lead and Steel Japanese made, LED based, holographic sight in the $300 range is going to be the home run though. Hopefully I don't end up swapping out all my red dots again for that 🤦

Attachments

• 20211127_092110.jpg
      20211127_092110.jpg
      539.2 KB · Views: 1,211
    I’ve got a honey badgerish build I’ve been thinking about picking one of these up for. Struck me as meh when these came out but I think I’m coming around.

I have a HOLOSUN AEMS on my 9 mm RUGER PC chassis carbine and it is absolutely perfect for that use.
    Sage Dynamics (Youtube site) is testing the AEMS and it has so far survived four 5 ft. drops on cement while mounted on a carbine. He drops sights every 500 rounds.
    ** the HOLOSUN 509T (which is on my RUGER 57 pistol) was dropped by Sage Dynamics TWENTY times and survived with no zero shift and only a small crack in the upper left corner of the ocular lens!!
    Neither of these HOLOSUN enclosed circle/dot sights are cheap, each selling for over $400. but they are damn good sights.

Yes, HLOSUN is a Chinese company but so what? Hey, most SIG red dots are Chinese made. HOLOSUN is beginning to eat Aimpoint's lunch. Aimpoint needs to begin building its reputation again instead of living off it.