• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Holster question... belt vs. drop leg

ArsPoetica

Private
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2021
Raleigh, NC
Sure I'm walking into a minefield with this question... but I'm looking for a tactical/duty type holster. I'm not LE or military, but want a solid rig I can rely on for SHTF or the zombie apocalypse (insert armageddon of your choice). I've pretty much settled on a Safariland but can't decide on a belt rig or a drop leg holster. I see so many tactical/LE types with drop legs but all I see on forums is how bad it is (bangs on things, not quick to draw from, blah blah). I was hoping to hear from some folk that have had experience with both or either and give me a no BS breakdown of why which is better, OR if one is better in a particular situation. I certainly plan to train with any rig, but I want to know what I should use should the need arise (outside of my usual conceal carry).

Thanks!

Here’s my “dumb ass civilian” opinion on the matter. Drop leg holsters put the weight of the pistol on your thigh. Running with one leg substantially heavier than the other is a pain. Keep the weight of the pistol off your leg and movement is easier.

Safariland 6004-25 (single strap shroud with drop flex adapter) + Safariland ALS (at a minimum, SLS/ALS is preferred) holster of your choice.

I’ve used the 6004-25 shroud for about 3 years on duty. The Drop Flex Adapter makes the shroud adjustable for ride height, and the highest attachment slots position the gun low enough for comfort while drawing with an external carrier, but not so low as to flop around when you run/wrestle. The only negative consideration, in my opinion, is a slightly complicated draw from a seated position since the gun’s bore stays parallel with your leg and not your torso. With some practice you can easily adapt your draw.

DO NOT use the Safariland QLS quick detach system. Direct mount the holster to the shroud. The QLS adds a ridiculous amount of lateral space to the mounting platform, forcing the holster to stick out too damn far. You WILL hit your holster on everything around you, you won’t be comfortable seated in a vehicle (driver or passenger), and you will hate it.

Edit to add after reading above comment; With this shroud (at least attached using the highest slots), the weight is still hanging off my belt, it’s just secured to my thigh as a second point of contact. I did not notice a weight distribution difference between my old SLS/ALS mid-ride and the 6004-25 shroud.

Few questions first...
What level of weapons retention do you need?
-Must quick draw with ease
-Doesn't fall out climbing a tree
-I can walk in a crowd and it would be hard to take from me.

Will you need to draw sitting in a car?

Is it a primary weapon, or backup to a rifle?

Will you wear armor? Soft or plates?

Personally, if there is violence in the streets, I do not need or want a pistol. I'm grabbing a rifle and armor.

But, if for whatever reason your primary is a pistol, I like drop holsters. You can have your pistol secure when driving, but still get to it. It is less likely to get in the way of body armor and you can have a longer barrel sitting comfortably.

Down side is awkward running, having it snag on stuff, like when crawling and draw is a bit slower. It is as also not as good for weapons retention, harder to protect if someone goes after it.

Add to it everyone who really runs a drop leg not just wears it all day…wind up having them cinched up right against their belt after a while.

Reactions: ArsPoetica
Here’s my “dumb ass civilian” opinion on the matter. Drop leg holsters put the weight of the pistol on your thigh. Running with one leg substantially heavier than the other is a pain. Keep the weight of the pistol off your leg and movement is easier.
Ok many things to consider. Are you wearing chest rig/plate carrier. Primarily used while in vehicle or dismounted? I prefer waist holster unless in vehicle with chest rig, then I mount holster on chest rig so easy to deploy. The drop leg holster pulls my pants down and chafes my thigh if walking long distance plus makes for awkward draw but like everything it depends on your training and preferences. I say find someone who has one of each and dress the way you normally do and try them out while walking, running riding and driving. Well worth the time, then train with your choice(s).

Belt, always by default. As stated, doesn't move around as much, which is literally always good.

Drop is only to clear other gear. I used to drop a lot to get around armor. Smaller PCs taking over mean that's not a thing, so I have a shorter drop that lets me run a ruck belt at the normal position. If you hate your shoulders, never run a belt... then maybe you don't need to drop at all.

Put on a normal belt holster and all your gear, and see what doesn't work. How much drop do you need, if anything. If, say, the LBE bumps into it, first maybe think if that is a requirement or you have no real opinion about where that goes, so maybe it can run an 1" higher.

If you must drop, keep it on the belt. I 100% of the time suggest the UBL. Shortest you can, but even the long extensions work fine. If you must use a strap, it is available but I also see people run them higher, and higher, then one day do not have the strap at all.

I like the MLS/QLS. Use it a lot (to trade mounting systems, to secure the gun without removing from the holster, etc) and my shape makes it fit better and also lets me run the gun higher and put the ruck belt a bit between the butt of the pistol and my body. But I know others hate them and believe it.

I've tired both. IMO, Drop legs suck. I much prefer my belt holster.

IMG_2206.jpeg

IMG_2205.jpeg

On a side note; I have a universal drop leg holster for sale. Cheap.;)

I've tired both. IMO, Drop legs suck. I much prefer my belt holster.

View attachment 7912697

View attachment 7912698

On a side note; I have a universal drop leg holster for sale. Cheap.;)

Question: why are your pistol and magazines riding so high? Clearly not for concealment reasons I would imagine.

That high of a ride would be a no go for me and most guys with a short torso. Same goes for the magazines. I need the point where the trigger guard joins the front strap of the grip just about even with the top of the belt for OWB holsters.

Personally I don’t think I’ll ever go back to a holster on my side ever again for any reason just because of how much they suck for one reason or another. If it’s high enough to be comfortableish in a vehicle it fucks with you while wearing a pack and/or armor. If it’s low enough to not be in the way then it either flops around on your leg or is uncomfortable to sit down with.

A belt mount low ride is the best compromise though. Less floppy than a drop leg while running (can run an elastic strap on the bottom to the top of your thigh to complete lock it down) and clears the gun low enough for packs and armor. Still sucks ass in vehicles though but you can run the Safariland QBL on their low ride and just pop it on and off for getting in and out of vehicles and it’s not uncomfortable but just adds an extra step.

Just my opinion though, all of the tactical toms decked out in multicam and gear are going to be the first to go one way or another if shit ever does go south.

I believe this is the carrier that's used on my G-Code belt:

This hanger doesn't drop the entire holster onto the thigh, but it does get the pistol low enough to not interfere with a plate carrier (even when running side plates in the cumberbund). I can assure everyone that it's low on my list of annoyances when moving. We had to do a mile-long trail run at the Ohio Tactical Games event, and honestly I never thought once about my pistol rig despite giving myself plenty of time to ponder all the life choices that led up to that moment.

Last edited:
Question: why are your pistol and magazines riding so high? Clearly not for concealment reasons I would imagine.

That high of a ride would be a no go for me and most guys with a short torso. Same goes for the magazines. I need the point where the trigger guard joins the front strap of the grip just about even with the top of the belt for OWB holsters.
The mounts are offset and it may be what was setup in that picture and I may have offset them lower, but I don't believe I have. It works well for me and my setup. I'm not a pistol match shooter by and a large but the matches I have shot, this setup has worked well for me. I'll give the lower setting try though. I'm open to to trying different settings.

I think the drop leg worked better in video games than in real life, I blame rainbow 6 😂

Untitled-1-1.jpg

Real life the three best ways I have found to carry, and yeah everyone has a different body type and all

1 winter clothes or duty sized gun, on the belt IWB/OWB

2 hot weather lighter dressed, smaller gun, in a (premium molded) pocket holster

3 Bushwhacking it or riding, in a chest holster seems the best way to keep the pistol ready but not hit every dam branch, also works great for a seated/riding position.

frontierholster_Chest-OWB-Holster4.jpg

Safariland als for sure. 6390 or similar if running rds and light is great. True north mount with safariland Qls. There you go. Need no more answers lol 😂 good luck whatever you end up with though.

No body serious has used a drop legg holster for about 20 years. The reason they were popular was for 2 (well 3 reasons)

1. The thought at the time was it was faster to draw, which has been proven to be bullshit.
2. It clears body armor and doesn't get hung up in your kit.
3. People saw it on TV and thought it was cool, so copy cat shit.

A safariland ALS with a drop attachment drops the holster about 2 inches, this lets it clear your waistline while still being high enough to not interfere with your leggs.

The top of the holster with the gun should be right at the middle of your belt line.

IF you aren't wearying armor, just get a good kydex OWB holster with a normal/high ride and use that. No reason to look all tactical fucking timmy if you do not have a reason for it.

Few questions first...
What level of weapons retention do you need?
-Must quick draw with ease
-Doesn't fall out climbing a tree
-I can walk in a crowd and it would be hard to take from me.

Will you need to draw sitting in a car?

Is it a primary weapon, or backup to a rifle?

Will you wear armor? Soft or plates?

Personally, if there is violence in the streets, I do not need or want a pistol. I'm grabbing a rifle and armor.

But, if for whatever reason your primary is a pistol, I like drop holsters. You can have your pistol secure when driving, but still get to it. It is less likely to get in the way of body armor and you can have a longer barrel sitting comfortably.

Down side is awkward running, having it snag on stuff, like when crawling and draw is a bit slower. It is as also not as good for weapons retention, harder to protect if someone goes after it.
I would not expect needing in within a car. I would almost always try to exit the vehicle before returning fire. This would almost certainly be a backup, so I'd be more concerned with security/retention than speed. And yes, I anticipate wearing my CATI Armor III+.

So it sounds like from your perspective, I'd be better of with a belt rig.

I think the drop leg worked better in video games than in real life, I blame rainbow 6 😂

Untitled-1-1.jpg

Real life the three best ways I have found to carry, and yeah everyone has a different body type and all

1 winter clothes or duty sized gun, on the belt IWB/OWB

2 hot weather lighter dressed, smaller gun, in a (premium molded) pocket holster

3 Bushwhacking it or riding, in a chest holster seems the best way to keep the pistol ready but not hit every dam branch, also works great for a seated/riding position.

frontierholster_Chest-OWB-Holster4.jpg
I would definitely use a chest rig for hunting trips or other outdoor activities. My uncle sold me on that years ago when he had his S&W 460 in a chest rig during outings.

Reactions: TurboTrout
for me it depends on how i am traveling, like others said already.
i don't like a real drop unless i am on a dirtbike or something where i need to keep it below my waist.
small drop as shown in the middle (P229) is the fastest draw rig (for me)

YErE3yS.jpg

OP, Im a down vote on the drop leg. Belt ride wether it’s high med or low is the only way to go. I was in the CG and we had some funky metal shark boats (flaming dumpster fires) that had seats with shock absorbing ability. The regular high rise holsters we were issued and required just didn’t fit with a normal sized human. Unless you were about a 8 yo sized person you couldn’t sit and wear your gun belt. We adapted to the drop leg holster for the M9 and it worked for those particular boats… with the dropleg holster it was just garbage, but we made it work.

I left active duty and stayed in reserves, and became a cop and in professional uniforms and even relaxed with BDU pants the high/mid ride belt holster is the way to go, not only holster retention but in being that you can clamp your elbow tight and retain the weapon. Also riding in a car all day or night the high/mid ride is more comfortable than low rise. Our swat guys tried the drop leg and soon (w/I a month) went back to a high/mid rise for the sidearm even while carrying carbines or MP5.

so I professionally carried a sidearm since 1988 in law enforcement , in the military and I was a firearms instructor for 18 of my 20 year CG career. Then I was a cop for 18 years. I retired in 2017. Take it for what you want. But I would only wear a drop leg holster if it was the last holster on the planet.

on my edc I use an inside the waistband kydex no retention holster or a Don Hume OWB thumb snap leather holser. For teotwawki I keep a safariland III retention holster I got with my duty gun but I took off the front shield-so it’s really a II ( https://safariland.com/collections/...d-ride-level-iii-retention-duty-holster-23319 )

I would definitely use a chest rig for hunting trips or other outdoor activities. My uncle sold me on that years ago when he had his S&W 460 in a chest rig during outings.
Only way to go. I've got the 8⅜" X frame. Scoped at that. I tried to shoulder holster route and all it did was pull my pants crooked. Bought the Kenai chest rig and man what a difference. I actually don't mind carrying it now.

I bought the leather harness from diamond d and cannibalized an old blackhawk universal drop leg holster I had for a full size 1911. Best thing I ever did with that holster.

I like the chest rigs walking around in the woods, running and when I'm out on the tractor. Up and out of the way and easy to get to.

I would not expect needing in within a car. I would almost always try to exit the vehicle before returning fire. This would almost certainly be a backup, so I'd be more concerned with security/retention than speed. And yes, I anticipate wearing my CATI Armor III+.

So it sounds like from your perspective, I'd be better of with a belt rig.
In your shoes I'd most likely use a police style retention holster on belt. Plenty that drop an inch or two to clear armor if needed without becoming a thigh rig.

OP, Im a down vote on the drop leg. Belt ride wether it’s high med or low is the only way to go. I was in the CG and we had some funky metal shark boats (flaming dumpster fires) that had seats with shock absorbing ability. The regular high rise holsters we were issued and required just didn’t fit with a normal sized human. Unless you were about a 8 yo sized person you couldn’t sit and wear your gun belt. We adapted to the drop leg holster for the M9 and it worked for those particular boats… with the dropleg holster it was just garbage, but we made it work.

I left active duty and stayed in reserves, and became a cop and in professional uniforms and even relaxed with BDU pants the high/mid ride belt holster is the way to go, not only holster retention but in being that you can clamp your elbow tight and retain the weapon. Also riding in a car all day or night the high/mid ride is more comfortable than low rise. Our swat guys tried the drop leg and soon (w/I a month) went back to a high/mid rise for the sidearm even while carrying carbines or MP5.

so I professionally carried a sidearm since 1988 in law enforcement , in the military and I was a firearms instructor for 18 of my 20 year CG career. Then I was a cop for 18 years. I retired in 2017. Take it for what you want. But I would only wear a drop leg holster if it was the last holster on the planet.

on my edc I use an inside the waistband kydex no retention holster or a Don Hume OWB thumb snap leather holser. For teotwawki I keep a safariland III retention holster I got with my duty gun but I took off the front shield-so it’s really a II ( https://safariland.com/collections/...d-ride-level-iii-retention-duty-holster-23319 )
Awesome. Thanks for the professional perspective. It lines up with a lot I've heard regarding the drop leg, causes more problems than it solves. Looks cool, but just not as practical. I think I'll go with a mid rise for my belt since I'm pretty average sized (5'10" 190lbs). Since I strong side carry in most of my daily CCW it seems like a better switch when in a tactical environment.