• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Holster? That works. IWB

Mater2009

Deplorable
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2017
Near Dallas Texas
What holsters do you wear for subcompact iwb carry. I found a lot of shit that makes me look like I'm packing a brick. Looking for something to wear about the 4 o'clock position.

the Desantis Cozy Partner is the only IWB holster that ive found that actually conceals well, and is comfortable enough to actually wear.....makes my G17 disappear and i can wear it all day.

the Hybrid and Kydex holsters are uncomfortable as fuck, and bulky.

Exactly even if nobody else can see it to me it looks awful. Don't even want to think about how they would make my full size 1911 look

through years of experience and trying different holsters, I figured out holsters are just like anything else.... you get what you pay for. I can hide a Glock 19 just fine in a Milt Sparks Summer Special II wearing a normal sized untucked shirt. if you prefer Kydex, JM Custom Kydex makes an excellent product for normal IWB as well. He has a very solid belt clip that makes for convenient on/off.

Also, a good solid gun belt makes all the difference in the world for traditional IWB behind the hip. it could definitely make the difference between hiding the gun, and not.

Crews got it in a nutshell, so I'll elaborate:

(And I'd like a Summer Special to carry a 340PD I always tote too, that or a pocket holster since that where it currently resides).

I own 3 Milt Sparks VM2's (Versa-Max 2, it's their claim to fame and everyone copies this holster; this one is the real deal FWIW) one each for a G26/27, G29/30 and a Smith 1006. I have the dual mag carriers too. These damn rigs make the pistols disappear and are serious carry rigs, not Galco shit. In addition, since you carry a 1911, you get to choose from their full line and they may have something better up your alley. They kinda cater to the 1911 crowd in a way. I know they have some damn thin 1911 rigs but the VM2 is most popular and with the steel band it never wears out and the pistol never feels loose, even off the belt. Belt loops are to the sides of the pistol, it's wide but that makes it thinner (it also is part of why it's so comfortable too). It sort of flattens out and with a good belt basically becomes part of your body. They can be worn with a tucked shirt, used to come with the parts years ago but now they are separate, as are different size and color belt loops. They wear well and the horsehide ones I have are waterproof and damn near indestructible. VERY well made and quality construction. Prices aren't bad for what you get. It's the only serious IWB rigs I have or use. They draw great and can be reholstered with one hand. Easy draw, even with a seatbelt, at least for me. The dual mag carrier helps with offsetting the weight of the pistol --for some that's not an issue, for me I like a little more balance. Speaking of comfort, I've worn this rig on hikes and long drives and it didn't get uncomfortable.

If it'll hide a G29 (some people carry G20's and 21's with 'em) it'll definitely hide anything thinner. With many holsters and especially this one, it doesn't matter how long the pistol is, the width and sometimes the grip have the largest profiles. My 1006 is heavy and I still haven't gotten around to really running it through the paces so I feel comfortable carrying it --the Glocks are just more reliable and the G27 gets carried by far the most due to size and weight. But the 1006 is thin, and despite the large size of that pistol, and the weight (may be thin but it's solid SS) it still carries very well and is one of the easiest to conceal.

The belt cannot be understated, it's part of the rig. Walmart doesn't carry gunbelts, neither does Nordstroms. Milt Sparks' belt is probably one of the best around, but I've been using a double thick one I had custom made years ago (it's softer than a cheap belt but doesn't fold at all --it's the perfect belt but I can't tell you how to get one, the guy was killed for screwing someone's wife from a gunshow!) and a cheaper Bladetech when I lost weight. The Bladetech has a piece of plastic between two thin pieces of leather and it's what makes it solid, but it breaks inside leaving limp spots --you NEED thick double leather to last). It's nice to have a variety of pant sizes and a couple belts, depending on what you carry, how, etc. I started wearing the 5.11 pants when I got out of the Army years ago, they are great for carry and come in a variety of styles, colors and materials and they are more comfortable than jeans or slacks. The elastic waistband is perfect for IWB, some have better belt loops too (having a "half loop" between the two holster loops helps hold the holster to the body even better) and they don't get uncomfortable with all day wear or if your belly is full. For OWB, I like the Serpa lvl 2 --it just works. It hides pretty well if you have a good belt. Without a proper gun belt, no holster will work right. I commonly wear that Serpa 2 and a G17 open carry, but I wear a loose linen shirt over it. The gun belt keeps it close, it doesn't tilt or move, it just stays put. You can't tell I'm wearing it. At all. Concealing is part art, part having quality shit, and loose fitting clothes help. So do patterns --I can wear a silk Tommy Bahama flower print shirt and shorts and OWB a G17 and you wouldn't know it. A good carry rig is far more dependent on the holster and belt than the weapon you choose.

Mitch Rosen also makes quality holsters, some similar to Sparks but they cost more. They're worth looking at, they do offer some pricier more exotic leathers if that's your thing. Alessi is another but I don't know much about them. Dillon also carries a budget line of Rosen holsters. I'm sure there are others, perhaps some better, but Milt Sparks is who I've been using for almost 15 years now and I'll probably be carrying the same VM2 and Glock when I die, simply because it works and neither will wear out in my lifetime.

Hope this helps. And if you order a Milt Sparks, get your order together NOW, because they only accept so many orders the first of the month, first come, first serve. They had to do this because they are a small shop, refuse to backdown on quality or mass produce (all done by hand) and their wait times were getting ridiculous (I waited about a year for my first one --and it was worth it!). Now less people bitch about wait times but they still make the same number and get more business than they can deal with like they always have. That alone says something. So do all the cops that fawn over it when I go to the courthouse to update my carry permit every few years, they all love it. I know nobody that has a VM2 who says anything bad about it. Or Milt Sparks or Mitch Rosen at all for that matter. And don't forget the belt!

Reactions: MJF
I'll reiterate what Strykervet said. Old Alessi (not what his kids are mass-producing), FIST, Kramer, Mitch Rosen (non-Express), Rusty Sherrick, Milt Sparks: they're all quality options. Don't bother with Bianchi, Crossbreed, or Galco. I like horsehide. Anything else had better be exceptionally well made. I don't currently run any VM-2s, mostly because it's a six-month acquisition proposition, unless you pay blood money to the investors on eBay. The Watch-6 types are essentially unreenforced VM-2s. Double-looped Summer Special II types are very good, but not my preference, unless from Kramer. Sparks used to do one that I think was called the Heritage that was layered with some sort of plastic to guard against sweat through the leather. Again, very good. I like CQC-S, which aren't IWB, but come very close to its functionality. Stryker is also right about the belt. Don't stint. Beltman's stuff is insanely good, although it;s said that it's too thick to thread through Sparks' slots. Wilderness instructor belts are good. 5.11 makes an almost acceptable knock-off of it.

What holsters do you wear for subcompact iwb carry. I found a lot of shit that makes me look like I'm packing a brick. Looking for something to wear about the 4 o'clock position.

http://www.ttgunleather.com/

I carry a CZ P-01 in a TT IWB/OWB convertible (setup as IWB) almost all the time. Super comfortable and the pistol disappears. Driving for a couple of hours at a time, no problem either.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/www.mcssl.com\/TinyMCE\/thumbnail.ashx?src=%2fcontent%2fassets%2f28%2f280167%2fIMG_3665.jpg&size=300"}[/IMG2]

For really long drives (3 - 4 hrs at a stretch) I wear an OWB no matter what. For the same pistol, my OWB comes from Winthrop Holsters. Winthrops lack the heavy detailed boning of more expensive holsters (which is why they are so affordable) but the raw materials (Hermann Oak leather), leather finishing, stitching, and molding are all top quality.

ETA: I can't stand kydex IWB holsters for any length of time and kydex OWB "pancake" holsters conceal on me like a fucking brick. And I say that after owning quite a few both types from reputable makers including JM Customs and Raven Concealment

Last edited:
Holsters are very individual. You are going to have to try several out to find out what works best for you. I ended up going through about 4 types before finding what really conceals well. I also had to make the decision that for my frame I needed a single stack. CYA is what I currently use and it’s been the most concealable for me. I also had to modify it just a bit based on the position I like to carry and how the corner of the clip would print on my shirt.

Jm custom kydex type 3 with a Glock 26 with the Magpul 12 round mags. I got the 15 degree, and it pretty much disappears with a polo shirt or t shirt.

Jm custom kydex type 3 with a Glock 26 with the Magpul 12 round mags. I got the 15 degree, and it pretty much disappears with a polo shirt or t shirt.

Another for www.jmcustomkydex.com I carry my Glock 19 in a Glock 17 sized holster at 3:00

Attachments

• photo80099.jpg
    photo80099.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 22
  • photo80100.jpg
    photo80100.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 21
I did order a crossbreed super tuck today, we will see. I was going to order a JM tuckable, but one of my attorney buddies talked me into the crossbreed. I couldn't seem to find a JM tuckable holster I liked.

Comptac Minotaur here for a M&P compact, love the belt clips for a fast insert or removal from the pants. Bought the second about a year ago.

I did order a crossbreed super tuck today, we will see. I was going to order a JM tuckable, but one of my attorney buddies talked me into the crossbreed. I couldn't seem to find a JM tuckable holster I liked.

All these recommendations for JM, Milt Sparks, Mitch Rosen and that’s what you picked!? Let us know we were right in 6 months when retention sucks, and you can’t stand how hot that big ass piece of leather is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know. I have a JM now, but it's not a tuckable one. Now the retention sucking I didn't know about. I'll have to see if I can cancel it and keep looking.

Well I talked to JM, they do not have a solution for me, as I'm a 32" waist, 34" plus the #4 would be the hot ticket.

Last edited:
All these recommendations for JM, Milt Sparks, Mitch Rosen and that’s what you picked!? Let us know we were right in 6 months when retention sucks, and you can’t stand how hot that big ass piece of leather is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why do we even type?

I second the Milt Sparks VM II. Works great with my G26 and I also have one for my P30...both conceal well and are comfortable. I would also recommend getting a belt when you order. Another good option for belts is the beltman.

I’ve been happy with super tuck but retention has gotten light. Going to order a VMII now....
Thanks for the input

I know. I have a JM now, but it's not a tuckable one. Now the retention sucking I didn't know about. I'll have to see if I can cancel it and keep looking.

Well I talked to JM, they do not have a solution for me, as I'm a 32" waist, 34" plus the #4 would be the hot ticket.

As far as a "tuckable" holster goes.... there are many people, me among them, that do not feel like having a shirt tucked over a gun with belt clips hanging out there in plain sight is considered concealed. Carry a gun with a tucked shirt over a Crossbreed and those big-ass metal belt clips just scream "I have a gun" to the general public. If I want to tuck a shirt in, I use a belly band. Specifically, a Smart Carry. I don't use it over my crotch like the pictures on the website suggest, I carry it at 4 o'clock. Also, there's options where you have a belt lined with velcro on the inside, and a clip on the holster that goes over the top of your pants and behind the belt with velcro on the front of it so it locks into the back side of the belt.

I looked my cross breed order never went through. I was planning on something with Jhooks that you just have the small portion under the belt. I know tuckable is not the preferred, but sometimes dress pants and tucked in shirt there is no other option, and pocket carrying the LCR stands out like a raging boner. I wish JM had an option for me, both of the leather holster guys are six months....