• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

stello1001

Professional Newb
Minuteman
  • Feb 20, 2017
    Corpus Christi TX
    Hello all,

So I've been wanting a handgun for a good while now and have narrowed it down to these 3 options. I know very little about handguns as my passion lies more with bolt actions. I want one just for personal protection and to carry on my hip when out hunting. I feel the FN retains its value and does not depreciate at all. I know this probably not something I should look at too much as maybe fit or grip comfort. However, I have narrowed it down to these 3 because I've been to gun shops already and handled multiple guns and these are what worked best for me so I got that down already. Can anybody school me on these guns and tell me if there is anything in particular that one excels over the other? I'd appreciate any feedback, thanks...

**EDIT**

Thanks to all for the suggestions, I found a decent deal on a used but almost brand new VP9. I'm looking at literally all kinds of holsters being that now I'll need something to hold the gun on my body. Originally, I though I needed something OWB but not sure now.

Main purpose of use: when I'm out on the hunting lease so really no need for concealment.

I wanted to holster it outside my waist but now I'm thinking that when colder winter weather hits, it might not be a good idea. I will have layers and perhaps a thick sweater or two with a big jacket that will hang over and below the holstered gun. This might be conflicting and maybe uncomfortable. Made me look into chest and shoulder placement but too expensive for me at the moment considering I got laid off and I have been making many large purchases lately. Does anybody feel their IWB holster is uncomfortable or feels unnatural to them?

Right now I'm looking at WeThePeople holsters as well as BladeTech but I have literally already gone through all types of other brands, materials, placements, colors, flavors, smells, etc lol... Any particular brand that supports 2A that I should probably support?

Last edited:
    The HK will be very reliable and is a well thought out smooth working pistol.

The P320 lets you get into the whole Lego building world of the P320 where you can swap just about every part around any way you want.

A lot depends on the size you want and the features you need.
    The Sig P320 X5 Legion all tricked out with RDS and laser would be a whole different idea from a standard Stock VP9

What I like about my 320 is I run the X Carry frame with a compact slide. Sammichmaker also likes the X Carry now that’s she tried it but my mother prefers the compact frame. Same gun, many possibilities. One thing I will recommend if you get the 320 is send it off to The Sig Armorer, Robert Burke, north of Dallas. He’s worked over three of my Sigs and the results were worth every penny.

Glock 17/19 > all of those.

Couldn't get a good fit on any glock I handled. They just don't feel right in my grip, I'm sure there's ways you can build a grip on them to fit better but for my first handgun, I'm not wanting to buy something and start throwing money at it right away. Heck, I'm not even a fan of handguns, I've tried shooting them and I just can't hit any darn thing with them. Bolt actions is where it's at for me. But I've decided I want one just because I travel solo a lot and live in many rural areas.

What I like about my 320 is I run the X Carry frame with a compact slide. Sammichmaker also likes the X Carry now that’s she tried it but my mother prefers the compact frame. Same gun, many possibilities. One thing I will recommend if you get the 320 is send it off to The Sig Armorer, Robert Burke, north of Dallas. He’s worked over three of my Sigs and the results were worth every penny.

I'm all for making a gun function better and all, but this is going to be my first pistol ever and I don't want to buy something and send it off right away. At least not yet. But just out of curiosity, what is it exactly that they do to those Sigs over at the Sig armorer?

Couldn't get a good fit on any glock I handled. They just don't feel right in my grip, I'm sure there's ways you can build a grip on them to fit better but for my first handgun, I'm not wanting to buy something and start throwing money at it right away. Heck, I'm not even a fan of handguns, I've tried shooting them and I just can't hit any darn thing with them. Bolt actions is where it's at for me. But I've decided I want one just because I travel solo a lot and live in many rural areas.

On handguns it's important to find one that fits your grip naturally and feels like it belongs in your hand.

If you have small hands try either the HK VP9 with the small sides and small backstrap, or the Sig P320 with the Small grip frame or a CZ75 with the standard Small frame.

If you have bigger hands, then look for a grip module or grip that properly fills your hand.

Glocks definitely aren’t the most cushy in the hand but the new gen 5’s are pretty damn good in grip comfort, they shoot straight and are damn reliable and quality control is consistent.

I wouldn’t buy a single one of the pistols you’re looking at for numerous reasons. Every single one of the three have been very spotty for reliability issues, and the sig... well their quality control is shit.

This is all coming from someone who doesn’t really like Glocks that much, EDC’s a HK USP Compact (I have 3 of them), and just ordered a Sig MPX before anyone calls me a Glock fanboy or Sig hater.

Reactions: WATERWALKER
    I'm all for making a gun function better and all, but this is going to be my first pistol ever and I don't want to buy something and send it off right away. At least not yet. But just out of curiosity, what is it exactly that they do to those Sigs over at the Sig armorer?

Most mass production factory pistols have a less than ideal trigger (however the VP9 actually is pretty decent out of the box).
    Once you know what you are doing with a pistol, you can usually have it worked on to have the trigger pull lightened and smoothed out, the reset shortened and the slide smoothed out. Those mostly help you do better with target shooting and competition shooting.

The whole "factory reliability, spotty quality, etc." is way over blown with a quality pistol like any of those mentioned. In todays instant gratification world, and social media, when a gun fails it gets posted everywhere. The tens of thousands that don't get posted nowhere.

Malfunctions are always one of the following:
    1. Firearm itself
    2. Grip/stance
    3. Ammunition
    4. Magazines

I have a lot of experience with the 320 platform. They work really, really well. The modularity may/may not be something you need. Go buy one, shoot a few thousand rounds from it, then decide if/what you want to do to it after that.

If you want it for protection while hunting....Glock G40, 10mm Long Slide. 'nuff said.

Last edited:
    I feel the FN retains its value and does not depreciate at all.

I'm not sure whatever gave you that idea, but you could not be farther from the truth.

Of the three companies you mention, FN has the absolute best record at turning out dogs and then dropping all support for them within a couple of years.

You're probably better off with a revolver, to be completely honest.

Reactions: MCSO1357
    I have 3,000 rounds through a VP9 with no problems. I'm very happy with that gun. I'd recommend it.

I have no experience with the FN, and I rented a Sig P320 once, wasn't particularly impressed. Glock and Walther make quality handguns too.

I had a VP9 and was unhappy with the accuracy. It was no different after a trip back to the factory so whether it was a lemon or it's just me I've no idea with a sample size of one.

I replaced it with a Walther PPQ and couldn't be happier. The PPQ is the first polymer gun that I've gripped and thought very similar to a BHP. It also has a very good trigger.

I have a VP9, Sig 320, and a PPQ. Buy the one you like the best. All three are quality firearms. I don't know shit about the FN. As noted above, the Sig 320 will give you a lot of versatility if you want to play the modularity game.

I have a VP9, Sig 320, and a PPQ. Buy the one you like the best. All three are quality firearms. I don't know shit about the FN. As noted above, the Sig 320 will give you a lot of versatility if you want to play the modularity game.

Which trigger do you find best out of the VP9 & PPQ???

Which trigger do you find best out of the VP9 & PPQ???

I own the VP9 and a PPQ. I prefer the trigger on the VP9 sightly over the PPQ. I feel like it has a little bit more of a pronounced wall. Both are excellent triggers though.

I also own the VP9, VP9sk and a PPQ...it is a coin toss as to whether the VP9 or PPQ had the better trigger. Shot the 320, shoots well, didn’t care for it.

Still wondering about this excellent resale value of FN pistols

Asking for a friend

• Haha
    Reactions: Dan M
    Still wondering about this excellent resale value of FN pistols

Asking for a friend

I only think that way of the FN because a friend of mine bought one new 10 years ago for 549. Today, it appears to me they haven't made a single change to it, it's the exact same gun, but with a higher price tag. I could be totally wrong though, and that's why I made this thread. So people with knowledge can school me on handguns as I know nothing on them.

I only think that way of the FN because a friend of mine bought one new 10 years ago for 549. Today, it appears to me they haven't made a single change to it, it's the exact same gun, but with a higher price tag. I could be totally wrong though, and that's why I made this thread. So people with knowledge can school me on handguns as I know nothing on them.
    It's a plastic pistol: a commodity. Do a filtered search for completed auctions of that pistol on gunbroker to see what people are actually paying for them, not what someone asks for them.

I'd steer clear of FN handguns. Of the two that you mentioned, I'd only consider the VP9.

You should also expand your view to include the Smith & Wesson M&P, Beretta 92, CZ P-09, and CZ P-10.

Reactions: Dan M
    The trigger on the M&P 2.0 is marginally better than the first version...an Apex kit would be an improvement. The VP9 and PPQ are GTG out of the box

It's a plastic pistol: a commodity. Do a filtered search for completed auctions of that pistol on gunbroker to see what people are actually paying for them, not what someone asks for them.

I'd steer clear of FN handguns. Of the two that you mentioned, I'd only consider the VP9.

You should also expand your view to include the Smith & Wesson M&P, Beretta 92, CZ P-09, and CZ P-10.

Damn, more for me to look at... talk about decision making becoming easier lol. It's all good though, I actually just now remembered that Beretta makes good pistols and decided to give them a look. Another member recommended the M&P so I did look that up immediately. I would have preferred to stick with the 3 listed on my title but if there is something worth looking, I may just consider it.

And yes, of my initial 3, I was steering mostly towards the H&K...

I'll keep doing more research and see what else I find out...

All of these are SOLID options!
    You need to go to a range, rent each and shoot a few mags through each.
    See which fits your hand best, most of the ranges will even help you with letting you try various combinations of grip inserts/back straps etc if you tell them you are trying to decide which you want to buy.

I am not a huge Glock fan as they do not fit my hand well BUT they are great guns especially for carrying in the woods and keeping for a bedside gun.

HK I have not tried the VP but while I own 3 models of the P7 and multiples of each rifle in the 9X series I sold my P2000's and USP's as I never could shoot them quickly and comfortably and at least back then there was no short trigger option for HK.

Sig I have several of the earlier P series guns and had them all done by Gray Guns with short triggers and other carry work and love them all but they are heavy for daily CCW, mostly woods guns for me these days. I have not warmed up to the 320 yet

FN I can't comment on as I only have their 5.7 which is a fun toy but that's about it.

M&P nice guns with some basic work (new trigger and some polishing). I really like them but they mainly sit in the safe now.

SA I have an XDs in 45 and I like it! Nice carry gun but I just tend to grab a CCO 1911 over it as its easy to OWB carry in fall and winter here.

Reactions: stello1001
    Ok so...

What about holsters lol, what are you all carrying your gun? I'm not trying to conceal carry so preferably something out of waist band...

Did I mention I made a purchase already?

Admittedly I'm a HK fanboy so of course VP9. I did go to a range and rented 6-8 other 9mm handguns to try out and was actually pre-biased against the VP9. After several other guns and a couple hundred rounds, I ended up with the VP9. It was the most accurate of the bunch.

It cracks me up that the Glock Boyz can't stand the idea that other guns exist....

Somewhere north of 7000 rounds on my VP9. 3000 of those were Tula steel cased and I had 1 round out of all of those that stove-piped (a steel-cased round). Everything else has been flawless. The best feeling polymer frame gun I've ever shot, and a great trigger and accuracy to boot.

Nothing wrong with the 320, and I have no experience with the FN, but since I got my VP9 I've kind of stopped looking at other full-size polymer pistols.

A VP9 Tactical is exactly what I bought. I felt like the deal wasn't too bad and the seller had lots of GTG comments here so I felt safe making the purchase. I could have looked at other guns, as other members recommended them, but if I waited until I found a good deal on them, maybe I wouldn't feel comfortable from a different seller without positive feedback??? Idk, it just felt right so I went forward with it...

Reactions: Ledzep
    The VP9 Tactical is a solid choice and I think you'll be pretty happy with it.

The only notes I'll say is that if you are shooting the lighter 115gr stuff don't limp wrist it or it may not cycle fully, but as long as you have a firm grip you are good with the light stuff & it works very well with all the heavy stuff.

So, you picked up a HK VP9 & I’m guessing you’re wondering what to buy next as far as accessories & gear are concerned. There are a few things to consider & I’ll touch on a few.

I’d recommend buying as much ammo as you can afford up front & a class (or two) w/ a quality trainer. Admittedly you don’t shoot a pistol well so this is a must. You should start w/ the fundamentals & work forward at whatever your learning curve dictates.

You don’t need a high-speed aftermarket trigger as a beginner. It’s actually one of the last things you need for a carry / ranch gun. You need plenty of rounds & training. You’ll need to be proficient w/ reloads, clearing simple & complex malfunctions (*know the difference) & shooting for time & accuracy. You’re a long ways from needing an aftermarket trigger. I mentioned it again for a reason.

As far as gear is concerned I would recommend a quality set of night sights. Night sights should be steel & NOT plastic. A quality holster is the next item you’ll require. It should be a high quality item made of leather, kydex or both. Don’t be a cheap ass when buying a holster. It would definitely not hurt you to buy a weapon mounted light for your pistol. That light could be the difference between a good shooting & an indictment. I hear prison sucks so choose how to spend your money wisely.

You’re responsible for every round you send down range. Good luck.

So, you picked up a HK VP9 & I’m guessing you’re wondering what to buy next as far as accessories & gear are concerned. There are a few things to consider & I’ll touch on a few.

I’d recommend buying as much ammo as you can afford up front & a class (or two) w/ a quality trainer. Admittedly you don’t shoot a pistol well so this is a must. You should start w/ the fundamentals & work forward at whatever your learning curve dictates.

You don’t need a high-speed aftermarket trigger as a beginner. It’s actually one of the last things you need for a carry / ranch gun. You need plenty of rounds & training. You’ll need to be proficient w/ reloads, clearing simple & complex malfunctions (*know the difference) & shooting for time & accuracy. You’re a long ways from needing an aftermarket trigger. I mentioned it again for a reason.

As far as gear is concerned I would recommend a quality set of night sights. Night sights should be steel & NOT plastic. A quality holster is the next item you’ll require. It should be a high quality item made of leather, kydex or both. Don’t be a cheap ass when buying a holster. It would definitely not hurt you to buy a weapon mounted light for your pistol. That light could be the difference between a good shooting & an indictment. I hear prison sucks so choose how to spend your money wisely.

You’re responsible for every round you send down range. Good luck.

Thank you for sharing this, I do not disagree one bit with what you said. I'm already on the hunt for a holster but it's difficult for me deciding whether I want OWB or IWB type. I know ultimately, for ranch carrying, I would prefer a chest holster but I'm going to get that some time down the road as I have already made multiple large expenditures recently. I'm looking at BladeTech and WeThePeople holsters as they appear to be of good quality while remaining more affordable than a chest type holster.

VP9 is a great choice. Only real "downside" is expensive mags and if you ever have an issue, repair time could take a while. HK isn't exactly known for hustling on their warranty work. But it's a very well made gun and problems are rare.

BladeTech is pretty good, but not what I would recommend for your specific usage. Also, WeThePeople holsters are mass produced crap. They use the thinnest kydex possible (weak, prone to cracking, especially in cold weather), their paddle belt attachments aren't wide enough to be actually stable (not to mention that you shouldn't use a paddle anyway), the design itself is poor and has no redeeming qualities. It's a carbon copy of what Raven invented 10 years ago, just still not as good.

For OWB use, I recommend a retention holster to prevent the gun being accidentally knocked out of the holster. The gold standard is Safariland ALS (a "thumb button" you press to release the pistol when you draw) and used by more police around the country than any other method. The Safariland 7377 ALS is a perfect fit for your VP9. It will allow you to do literally everything you would ever want to use an OWB holster for and will last you more or less forever. In stock right now at Midway for a very nice $39 - https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1338139602

I shoot 10K+ rounds of pistol per year, I'm a CCW instructor for my state, and the 7TS is exactly what I recommend to every single one of my students for an OWB holster. Unbeatable cost and performance.

VP9 is a great choice. Only real "downside" is expensive mags and if you ever have an issue, repair time could take a while. HK isn't exactly known for hustling on their warranty work. But it's a very well made gun and problems are rare.

BladeTech is pretty good, but not what I would recommend for your specific usage. Also, WeThePeople holsters are mass produced crap. They use the thinnest kydex possible (weak, prone to cracking, especially in cold weather), their paddle belt attachments aren't wide enough to be actually stable (not to mention that you shouldn't use a paddle anyway), the design itself is poor and has no redeeming qualities. It's a carbon copy of what Raven invented 10 years ago, just still not as good.

For OWB use, I recommend a retention holster to prevent the gun being accidentally knocked out of the holster. The gold standard is Safariland ALS (a "thumb button" you press to release the pistol when you draw) and used by more police around the country than any other method. The Safariland 7377 ALS is a perfect fit for your VP9. It will allow you to do literally everything you would ever want to use an OWB holster for and will last you more or less forever. In stock right now at Midway for a very nice $39 - https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1338139602

I shoot 10K+ rounds of pistol per year, I'm a CCW instructor for my state, and the 7TS is exactly what I recommend to every single one of my students for an OWB holster. Unbeatable cost and performance.

I just looked them up. They are currently in stock like you said for a VP9 but not for a VP9 Tactical which is what I got. I'm not sure how the longer threaded barrel would fit in that holster. If it is an enclosed type, probably not well. If it is open, it probably wouldn't matter much and fit just fine.

Thank you for sharing this, I do not disagree one bit with what you said. I'm already on the hunt for a holster but it's difficult for me deciding whether I want OWB or IWB type. I know ultimately, for ranch carrying, I would prefer a chest holster but I'm going to get that some time down the road as I have already made multiple large expenditures recently. I'm looking at BladeTech and WeThePeople holsters as they appear to be of good quality while remaining more affordable than a chest type holster.
    Chances are you’ll end up with multiple holsters. I’ve got Bladetech, Safariland, KT Mech, Blackhawk, etc. For outdoors/hunting and so forth, I prefer OWB. Many kydex holsters can take a ‘drop and offset’ adapter that may interest you.

I though I needed something OWB but not sure now.

Main purpose of use: when I'm out on the hunting lease so really no need for concealment.

I wanted to holster it outside my waist but now I'm thinking that when colder winter weather hits, it might not be a good idea. I will have layers and perhaps a thick sweater or two with a big jacket that will hang over and below the holstered gun. This might be conflicting and maybe uncomfortable. Made me look into chest and shoulder placement but too expensive for me at the moment considering I got laid off and I have been making many large purchases lately. Does anybody feel their IWB holster is uncomfortable or feels unnatural to them?

Dude, stop and think for a minute...….If an OWB holster is going to be covered by your coat, what do you think will happen to a pistol on an IWB holster? Same damned thing.

IWB holsters make the pistol easier to conceal since most of it is, surprise, inside your pants. So you only need to worry about concealing the butt. The tradeoff is that they can be from slightly less comfortable to downright miserable depending on the exact holster design, the pistol in it, and your body's build.

All of us who have been carrying holstered pistols for any length of time have a box of holsters that we've tried, didn't like, and haven't sold off yet. It's just the way it is and there's no amount of internet reading that's going to reduce the need to try them.

For your stated purposes you really need two holsters: an OWB for when you're wearing a light layer over it and a chest holster for when it's really cold out and you're wearing a lot of stuff.

Since you can afford only one at the moment, get the chest holster. It will work for field carry no matter what you're wearing.

Gonna disagree with the recommendations to get a holster with active retention. They're a PITA to deal with no matter who made them and are absolutely not needed to keep a pistol secured in a holster during any activity you might be doing out in the field. Any quality (and there are a lot of them) kydex chest or belt holster will be more than sufficient retention-wise, particularly if they have one or two screws to adjust how tightly the pistol fits in the holster.

Police-type retention holsters are great when you're going to be around other people that you don't know with an exposed pistol on your belt, and even better if you're going to fight with those people. Otherwise, they're unnecessary.

I do agree that you need, seriously need, professional training to get you started. Shooting a pistol is significantly more difficult than almost any other firearm. Drawing and reholstering is a skill that is not necessarily intuitive to do safely and real easy to shoot yourself while doing so if you're careless.

I'm not a CCW instructor. I'm not any kind of an instructor. But I've been carrying a pistol almost every waking moment when I'm not at work for the past 12 years in all situations from out in the field to extremely crowded public places in large cities. I also have taken several handgun classes and have been an active IDPA and USPSA competitor since 2006.

Last edited:
    If you decide to use a shoulder holster don’t be surprised if it causes back issues. There was a time when I had to use a shoulder holster & I hated it. It’s uncomfortable & while on the range you’re going to flag everyone to your left every single time you draw. If I were you, I’d opt for the OWB holster now & worry about the rest later.

ETA: If you don’t already own a stiff leather belt you’ll need for carrying your pistol. A shitty belt makes for a shitty time carrying your new pistol. Also, ditch the idea of a paddle holster.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Centuriator
    ETA: If you don’t already own a stiff leather belt you’ll need for carrying your pistol. A shitty belt makes for a shitty time carrying your new pistol. Also, ditch the idea of a paddle holster.

Agree on paddle holsters sucking. All of them, every single one I've ever seen.

After nearly ten years of using leather gunbelts from this guy: https://www.thebeltman.net/ and nylon gun belts from these guys: https://www.thewilderness.com/belts/, I now use nothing but this: https://www.aresgear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=99&zenid=4e012e713ade3691de9dd1b34d8bfcfc

Where will you be carrying it? If it's normal concealed carry then a good IWB holster for warmer months and then a good OWB for winter months if you don't want to still carry IWB. I carry AIWB year round and wouldn't have it any other way. Holsters are a very personal preference too. For striker guns I don't trust soft holsters so the G-code and Blade techs are my go to for them, super high quality, comfortable as kydex gets, and lots of options. My main carry is a USP Compact that I run decocked so I'm not as concerned about protection on the trigger and my favorite holsters for AIWB carry for it is the Remora and the Desantis Nemesis with the edge going to the Nemesis. I find the little bump textures in place hold in it place a little better with softer clothing which is more important to me as gym shorts and sweat pants don't run belts so I can carry with the soft materials. With jeans or other pants with belts it doesn't make a difference though because the belt tension will help hold it in place and I like the Remora just a little better for this carry only because IMO it's just a hair more comfortable.

If you're carrying in the field then chest rigs work great but IMO around appropriate for around town carry for obvious reason. The Gunfighters inc Kenai rig is the shit for that.

I heard this years ago and it really stuck with me. Carrying a firearm is not meant to be comfortable but comforting.

Last edited: