• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Holy bejeezus I miss being able to reload.

spamassassin

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Long story short, the wife went fucking nanners over the last couple years and we finally called it quits. I had to scramble to get a place to live while she went to live with her mom. Housing being nightmarishly expensive and me having to give a crazy woman half my money, the options for cost effective living were slim. I now rent a room for 8x as much as it should cost to rent a room that doesn't come with kitchen privs. This necessarily also impacts my ability to reload. There's precious little space in my room, too little to store all the stuff for reloading and certainly the housemates wouldn't at all appreciate the sound of a tumbler buzzing. My situation didn't affect the fact that my one form of recreation that doesn't involve babbling incoherently on web forums involves shooting rifles at targets I can barely see with an unaided eyeball.

Anyway, I got curious about what it was costing me to buy in enough ammo to allow for the odd weekend out with the boys and I wanted to organize things so I counted it all up and got a very ugly pair of surprises. First, the phrase "stack it deep" is no longer a part of my universe and second, HOLY SHIT THAT'S EXPENSIVE. .223Rem is hitting me for $1.10/shot. 6XC is at $2/shot. .308Win is at $2.75/shot. .300WM is at $3.75/shot. .338WM is at $6.50/shot. .338LM is at $8.30/shot. What's in the picture below is about $2500 worth of ammo. I could have loaded 1000x .223's and 1000x .308's for the same money as I have into the ~900 rounds in the pic (160x 338LM, 400x 308, 360x 223). Now... I need a beer to sob uncontrollably into. On the upside, my weekends are a lot less busy with reloading.

screen-shot-2022-07-03-at-11.13.39-am.png

The moral of the story is, don't get married. Another moral of the story is, don't try to buy .338WM. Oh, side note, David Tubb's company makes astonishingly good 6XC ammo for a goddamned song of a price.

Oh, man, I feel for ya. Hopefully you'll be able to keep shooting for a diversion and eventually be able to work through this.

And try to not get legally bound to a spouse. ( not that I would know anything about that 🤪 )

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Your situation is my worst nightmare. I’d probably just eat a bullet and leave my kids a small fortune in insurance money. You’re a stronger man than I. Hang in there, it’ll work itself out.

28 years ago almost to the day I was going through the same thing. Best money I ever spent and you will rebuild. Just remember all women are crazy just different levels. The hot crazy scale really is a thing

Long story short, the wife went fucking nanners over the last couple years and we finally called it quits. I had to scramble to get a place to live while she went to live with her mom. Housing being nightmarishly expensive and me having to give a crazy woman half my money, the options for cost effective living were slim. I now rent a room for 8x as much as it should cost to rent a room that doesn't come with kitchen privs. This necessarily also impacts my ability to reload. There's precious little space in my room, too little to store all the stuff for reloading and certainly the housemates wouldn't at all appreciate the sound of a tumbler buzzing. My situation didn't affect the fact that my one form of recreation that doesn't involve babbling incoherently on web forums involves shooting rifles at targets I can barely see with an unaided eyeball.

Anyway, I got curious about what it was costing me to buy in enough ammo to allow for the odd weekend out with the boys and I wanted to organize things so I counted it all up and got a very ugly pair of surprises. First, the phrase "stack it deep" is no longer a part of my universe and second, HOLY SHIT THAT'S EXPENSIVE. .223Rem is hitting me for $1.10/shot. 6XC is at $2/shot. .308Win is at $2.75/shot. .300WM is at $3.75/shot. .338WM is at $6.50/shot. .338LM is at $8.30/shot. What's in the picture below is about $2500 worth of ammo. I could have loaded 1000x .223's and 1000x .308's for the same money as I have into the ~900 rounds in the pic (160x 338LM, 400x 308, 360x 223). Now... I need a beer to sob uncontrollably into. On the upside, my weekends are a lot less busy with reloading.

The moral of the story is, don't get married. Another moral of the story is, don't try to buy .338WM. Oh, side note, David Tubb's company makes astonishingly good 6XC ammo for a goddamned song of a price.
Next time, just pick a random female on the street, and give her half of everything you own. The result is the same, but you avoid the emotional trauma.

Your situation is my worst nightmare. I’d probably just eat a bullet and leave my kids a small fortune in insurance money. You’re a stronger man than I. Hang in there, it’ll work itself out.
Policies don't pay out for suicides.

screen-shot-2022-07-03-at-11.13.39-am.png

I'm sorry you're going through a divorce. I hope it is over quickly and you can move on and rebuild. Stay strong, this too shall pass.

I genuinely appreciate all the support on the divorce front but that's pretty much behind me. Not to say that some days don't have me cursing her name but then I think of the fact that without her I'll retire in 3-5 years instead of shortly after I die. It tore me up pretty bad when she hadn't yet made up her mind and I was trying to be the grownup patching things up but I've accepted that I'm done with that particular bag of crazy and I'm honestly a lot happier without her. I know where my course is taking me now and it's not to the poorhouse or the insane asylum with her taking us there in the fast lane. I watch as she's burning through her half of our communal nest egg and pissing away the alimony I pay but I'll only have to pay that for a couple more years and even while doing that I accumulate cash at a surprising rate thanks to a great career choice, an extremely frugal lifestyle in terms of food/shelter/transportation and already owning everything I want to own in terms of little possessions.

The price of ammo though, that's really hurting me and not being able to climb into the garage and let the daily stresses float away while I assemble great gooey gobs of free range, GMO free, match grade ammo is only making the price issue more painful.

Reactions: ShtrRdy
I feel lucky.
Wife shoots, SO:
We take turns buying guns. It's still my turn as an upper is not a GUN.
You shoot, you reload.
She covers half (almost) the cost of components, powder and primers.
I'm still a better shot (don't tell her).

28 years ago almost to the day I was going through the same thing. Best money I ever spent and you will rebuild. Just remember all women are crazy just different levels. The hot crazy scale really is a thing
The way I see it...they all have the play with parts but only a very few have a brain that functions with standard logic. Find the one with that brain, she will still have the parts to play with and will be much more fun to play with due to that brain.

Last edited:
If you were my neighbor you could come over and load for free. Your choice of 3 Dillon 1050's a couple 550's and A T7 for chasing rifle accuracy. When I Got divorced it cost me all my rifles and half my collection. greedy B... did not know anything about reloading and told me to keep it all.

No kitchen? So you have to eat out every meal? If that is the case you could probably look into getting a small place with a kitchen and set up to reload in the dining area. Eating every meal out is insanely expensive, even for shit food. Run the numbers on that and see where it takes you.

No kitchen? So you have to eat out every meal? If that is the case you could probably look into getting a small place with a kitchen and set up to reload in the dining area. Eating every meal out is insanely expensive, even for shit food. Run the numbers on that and see where it takes you.
Yeah, no kitchen. I can use the microwave though and I have a space in the fridge big enough to hold a gallon of milk. I don't eat out every meal, that'd be ludicrously dumb and expensive. I actually only eat from restaurants 3 times a week on average and I only pay for one of those. Every Safeway has a deli where they put together ready-to-heat home-cooking style meals which are if not super cheap at least cost effective, balanced and portion controlled. 8-9 bucks each and I can slap it in the nuke for 3 minutes and have a piping hot complete nutritious meal. 2 days of the week we have lunch catered at work and on those days I eat the work provided meal. I only eat 1 meal per day anyway. Any more than that and my girlish figure is doomed. An apartment of any size around here is way over $2000. I pay $1000/mo for my room. Even with $10/day on food and drink I'm still up 700 bucks over the apartment idea and in an apartment I'd have to pay 100% of the ISP/Power/Trash bills which would be another $300 a month. I've done the numbers. My way I save another grand a month. Still makes for expensive damned ammo but I almost never get to shoot anymore so it all balances out.

Reactions: zeroz
make sure kids are over 18 or the wife would get control of it. Depends on state and other factors, as I'm sure you are aware.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
make sure kids are over 18 or the wife would get control of it. Depends on state and other factors, as I'm sure you are aware.
It's not like that sort of self destructive thinking is something I'm not capable of or that I didn't briefly engage in it but in the end it's not sensible because the person you end up getting revenge on is you so, it's just failed targeting. All it is, really, is shitty revenge and anyway my kids don't get shit from me at this stage since they don't even talk to me because (get this) I was a loving but super strict dad who didn't take any shit and ended up with responsible, educated and polite children. Yep... I was apparently a bit of a meanie. Little fuckers should have had my parents. Welp, anyway they're adults now who are free to fuck directly off if that's what they want to do... You know, something something the door hit you in the ass on the way out. I love my kids but they get to cut their own path to hell. If they want to be civil, door's open but they're the ones that have to do the walking through.

My revenge, or really her comeuppance, is that when we were together I would have never been able to retire but she would. I'd have had to work till I died to provide for her retirement and a large chunk would have come from the payout on my life insurance. Her family is very, very, very long lived and mine is most definitely not. Now without my huge earning power and with her shit earning power she'll never be able to afford to retire and I'll retire in 4 years, 11 months and 29 days to live the lifestyle of my dreams before I'm even eligible to get a senior discount on a grand slam at Denny's.

welcome back to the world of you can reload again it's all just waiting out there for you ...

your free now fly and be free lol

It's not like that sort of self destructive thinking is something I'm not capable of or that I didn't briefly engage in it but in the end it's not sensible because the person you end up getting revenge on is you so, it's just failed targeting. All it is, really, is shitty revenge and anyway my kids don't get shit from me at this stage since they don't even talk to me because (get this) I was a loving but super strict dad who didn't take any shit and ended up with responsible, educated and polite children. Yep... I was apparently a bit of a meanie. Little fuckers should have had my parents. Welp, anyway they're adults now who are free to fuck directly off if that's what they want to do... You know, something something the door hit you in the ass on the way out. I love my kids but they get to cut their own path to hell. If they want to be civil, door's open but they're the ones that have to do the walking through.

My revenge, or really her comeuppance, is that when we were together I would have never been able to retire but she would. I'd have had to work till I died to provide for her retirement and a large chunk would have come from the payout on my life insurance. Her family is very, very, very long lived and mine is most definitely not. Now without my huge earning power and with her shit earning power she'll never be able to afford to retire and I'll retire in 4 years, 11 months and 29 days to live the lifestyle of my dreams before I'm even eligible to get a senior discount on a grand slam at Denny's.
Live and be happy, that happiness is usually the part that will eat at them. Tomorrow it will be, 4 years, 11 months and 28 days till you have all the time in the world :)

Sorry you're going through this. Tough it out, you'll be fine :):cool:

I assume that's referring to Colorado. No.
Yes, Colorado. I was going to offer space in my garage and access to my reloading equipment if you were. Maybe someone else here on the hide may make a similar offer.

Also, I was never suggesting you eat a bullet. It's just what I might do if in a similar situation and how serious I take your situation. Again, hang in there and it sounds like 1. you're a stronger man than I and 2. You've got a good plan in place. Will keep you in my prayers.

Yes, Colorado. I was going to offer space in my garage and access to my reloading equipment if you were. Maybe someone else here on the hide may make a similar offer.

Also, I was never suggesting you eat a bullet. It's just what I might do if in a similar situation and how serious I take your situation. Again, hang in there and it sounds like 1. you're a stronger man than I and 2. You've got a good plan in place. Will keep you in my prayers.
No worries mate. I know the people here are a rough and tumble crowd but they're also some of the most decent people deep down so it's easy to take everything the right way. The offer is appreciated greatly. I'm in Kommiefornia. I suppose if I asked any of a handful of buddies they'd let me set up in their garage or even just use their reloading gear but even then, it's just so much of a hassle here... everything is only 2hrs drive away but everything is 2hrs bloody drive away. What I'll actually end up doing is slowly moving my shooting life to my place in South Africa and shoot up the ammo I have in the USA over the next few years as I transition to retired life over there. My place there just now is finishing getting power and hot water and paint done and cabinets are next. Good time to have the reloading bench built.

You're a stand-up guy Jefe. Thanks man!

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
I feel your pain homie ….just remember it could always be worse & shit will get better for you 👊🏾