• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Holy Cow! The FedEx fairy delivers my GPNVG 18!

Dvlray6

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2020
Texas

FedEx delivered these babies to me last week. They are minty fresh factory L3 with full support. Huge thanks to the TNVC crew for making this happen. I’m absolutely thrilled with everything about them. The specs on the tubes FAR exceeded my expectations and are on par with my other high FOM gear. Factory L3 UF WP tubes.

SN - 34-38.6
Res - 72
EBI - 0.5-0.6
Photo - 2600-2800
Halo - 0.6-0.7
Clean tubes with no blems I can find.

I’ve only been able to play with this on helmet around the house - not live fire yet. I have used it dry with red dots on pistol and rifle. First a bit about me for those I don’t know. I started my NVG journey in 2010 with a PVS14. I’m a .civ guy but I’ve trained extensively with pistol, rifle, shotgun, and use of force over the last 20+ years. I have instructor ratings in pistol, rifle, shotgun and use of force from various places - hundreds of hours of training. I’ve been fortunate to attend training on NVG use as well. I served as a medic on a SWAT team in my EMS days quite some time ago.

Here is what came with the kit all packaged in a hard case inside of a soft case. In addition to the goggle, you get a cold weather battery pack for AA batteries, an adapter for disconnecting a pod and using as a hand held, and cables to match it all up.

I remember when I first used I2. It was absolutely amazing - magic night vision superpowers. I quickly wanted to upgrade and went to duals (sentinels at the time). I felt like the duals immersed me in the NVG world. It was a significant upgrade in experience from the single tube, but no where near as breath taking as my first PVS14 experience. Now on to the quads. Quads allow situational awareness like I’ve never seen before. It is easy to quickly and accurately assess everything in a room and move at a dynamic pace - much more so than single or duals. It is unfair. I would rate the experience as better by far than when I switched from single tube to duals and very close in experience to my first days of the PVS14.

The 97 degree FOV is more than just double the 40 degree on singles and duals. The sharpness and quality of the image is unmatched. Passive shooting is simple with a pistol and works easily with a rifle with a high rise mount like Unity. I have had no issues in standard shooting postures with them. I haven’t had a chance to do a lot of non standard positional work, but will do so when I can. I really can’t say enough about the field of view advantage over everything else I’ve handled. Additionally, the clarity on the edges because of the extra sensors make resolution seem better as well. All of my NVG systems have similar spec and performance L3 UF WP tubes so I know the difference is not in the tube itself. This is not my pic but it represents what I see through the GPNVG, though this pic is green phos. The white phos is MUCH better. The top image is what I would see through my 31a. The bottom is with the GPNVG. The difference is amazing.

I also recommend this video review as Will is much better with a camera than I am. I will say having worked with the GPNVG first hand, that I agree with Will’s review completely.

For the mount, the new version G24 has the necessary adjustability to get the goggle a little further out. It used to be required to buy a special G22E mount to run these. No longer.

Now, onto the bulk and weight. They are clearly heavier than my 14 and 31a, but less so that I would have thought. A single 14 weighs in at 12.5 oz. My 31a weighs in at 16 oz which is one of the reasons I love it. The DTNVS hits nearly 18 oz. The GPNVG tips the scales at 27 oz. It weighs about the same as my 14 bridged to my Skeet irx that I use for hunting or two PVS14s bridged together. I routinely wear those for hours on end without any fatigue. The only difference is that the GPNVG is wider. Time will tell if that causes a problem but I really don’t expect it to. For me the weight and bulk are non issues so far.

Peripheral vision. Because of the two outboard tubes you do indeed get less than with dual tubes. I run the tubes slightly canted up so I can look under them if I slightly raise my head. This also restores the peripheral vision to some degree. For me, the trade off for much wider FOV under goggle is well worth it.

So, are they worth the money? If you want a massive upgrade to FOV and ability to process information at a much faster speed than anything else out there, the answer is clearly yes if you are betting your life on your gear. You really can visually process a room or target area an order of magnitude faster with these than with duals. It is awesome that TNVC has made these available to us .civ guys with full factory support from L3. To quote Ferris Bueller, “if you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.”

Next steps for me are integration with my existing e-coti, and more training and range time with this goggle.

Other pics.

Last edited:
020FE0CC-B49B-4EF2-9338-089813571EE7.gif

Same here (now that I retired from the Mil), but my contracts aren't as lucrative. CONUS or OCONUS?

Seriously, I was being a smart ass. I’m just an up jumped medic .civ guy. Three of my kids are .mil but I never served. Just always wanted a set of these if I could find the right specs and TNVC managed to answer the call.

Reactions: stefan73
Would you say life is easier, harder, or the same with a single kidney? 🤔

I haven’t missed the other one yet. ;). These goggles are beyond awesome. Driving with them is a totally different experience than with duals. Much less stressful.

I haven’t missed the other one yet. ;). These goggles are beyond awesome. Driving with them is a totally different experience than with duals. Much less stressful.
Good for you man, I'm jealous. I'm still playing with a 14 and about to mess around with some thermal.

Might look at duals next year but want to hit a class first.

Good for you man, I'm jealous. I'm still playing with a 14 and about to mess around with some thermal.

Might look at duals next year but want to hit a class first.

I got into NVG 11 years ago. I was a single tuber then. You can and will move forward.

I had a set of these, twice. Tried to love them but went back to the PVS-31s both times. Couldn't get used to the image and size. Just always felt unwieldy and less durable. Is the FOV better? Absolutely. Just wasn't worth the trade off in my use case since the stuff I hunt doesn't shoot back.

• Haha
Reactions: Dvlray6
I had a set of these, twice. Tried to love them but went back to the PVS-31s both times. Couldn't get used to the image and size. Just always felt unwieldy and less durable. Is the FOV better? Absolutely. Just wasn't worth the trade off in my use case since the stuff I hunt doesn't shoot back.

You must be a slow learner man If you had a set twice. I have 31a(s). I’ll pick these anytime. YMMV. ;). :)