• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Holy smokes, DPMS G2 rifles

elfster1234

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 3, 2012
    www.youtube.com
    I went to my local gun shop today and they had both the .308 recon and sass in the new G2 line. Wow, did they ever shave off some serious weight off the G2 models! I was impressed and the fit and finish was really nice. The sass was very nice and weighed much less than the original.

I went to my local gun shop today and they had both the .308 recon and sass in the new G2 line. Wow, did they ever shave off some serious weight off the G2 models! I was impressed and the fit and finish was really nice. The sass was very nice and weighed much less than the original.
    so, what followed you home to do a review on?

Held one at the gun show today. Doesn't feel any bigger/heavier than an AR15.

the 3 dpms g2 rifles I would really like to see some peps on the hide purchase and post a report w/pics on are:

sass g2 in 7.62

recon g2 in both 5.56 and 7.62

bull g2 in both 5.56 and 7.62

as of right now, best bang for your buck that I find the most interesting is the 7.62 recon g2... wow, I picked it up today and it was stupid light weight!

Daddy wants a Recon G2 in the worst way. DPMS has really stepped up their game, maybe to the point of being the $1500ish AR10 to beat. We'll know a lot more when guys can get some rounds under their belts. If I can get a 6920 sold off, I'll gladly scoop one up and do a review. I'm thinking I'll slam in a Geissele SSA-E and call it good!

BTW, Did the Recon in-store have the 51T AAC suppressor mount on it?

it had the Advanced Armament 51T Blackout Silencer Adapter... according to the dpms website the new g2 is 30% less weight than the original and I believe them... I didn't have a scale obviously with me at the store, but it was obviously much less weight in comparison to my LMT... I think a 3-15 scope for more target practice, or a 2.5-10 for an all around hunter / target with an updated trigger would turn this 7.62 g2 recon into a nice little entry package... bang for your buck type set up.

I really really like the beveled mag well, and I find the brass deflector interesting... curious of how the new deflector handles ejected brass for reloading.

also, the monolithic bolt carrier group! good stuff so far.

if any of you get one, you got to post a review with pics!

Daddy wants a Recon G2 in the worst way. DPMS has really stepped up their game, maybe to the point of being the $1500ish AR10 to beat. We'll know a lot more when guys can get some rounds under their belts. If I can get a 6920 sold off, I'll gladly scoop one up and do a review. I'm thinking I'll slam in a Geissele SSA-E and call it good!

BTW, Did the Recon in-store have the 51T AAC suppressor mount on it?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this is the .308 AR of the future. I would love a recon to supplement/replace my ddm4

well, put it this way...

will any of the new G2's be as good or better than a GAP, OBR, LMT, SCAR, blah blah blah? most likely not. BUT, for someone that would like to get a .308 AR for around $1450, then I don't see how you could go wrong... just a side note, regardless of price or comparing the the G2 to higher end AR's... this thing is stupid light weight for a 308 AR! I was impressed. I'd almost get one just for something to hunt with / utility type high power AR. That is why I would love to see someone put the new recon & sass G2's thru their paces on my shootout thread to see the possible accuracy potential.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this is the .308 AR of the future. I would love a recon to supplement/replace my ddm4

I thought these were only about 1/2 pound lighter than the "lite hunter" models? What do they weigh exactly?

Most exciting "ar10" development since the 1950's

According to the dpms website the recon 308 is 8.5lbs

Hmm, so the lite hunter on the gen 1 platform is actually lighter by half a pound.

Did you get a chance to check out the bolt carrier or peak inside the receivers? Just wondering how beefy the upper is going to be, and how well it would do with a long heavy barrel hanging off the end of it.

We have a thread detailing much of this:

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/snipers-hide-semi-auto-rifles/231007-dpms-gii-308-rifles.html

If you want to compare weights to the old DPMS Lite Hunter, compare it to the new GII Hunter:

Also keep in mind that DPMS no longer really exists in the way we were accustomed to during the Randy Luth era. Freedom Group bought DPMS from him for tens of millions, and he walked away a happy man. The name is just that now, a name only.

This rifle design is something way outside of the capacity of the DPMS of old, and is a product of some serious and well thought-out engineering, rather than a shameless copy of others' work. It reflects a design team with brain power, culminating in something that should have been done decades ago.

Last edited:
    308 18" 6lb 5oz

11ufal3.jpg

How was the upper/lower fit on the g2 recon ?
    Comparable to the mws ?
    I'm in the middle of importing one up north here right now. Kind of taking a leap of faith.

I've got a G2 SASS coming in tomorrow after a 2 week wait from Buds. I'll post some pics and range report as soon as I can but I am no expert in the matter.

Its very hard to say without putting rounds down the tube, but im rather sure you will be happy with it especially with how light weight it is for a 308 AR.... The upper to lower fit was tight. I really like the beveled mag well and with the new brass deflector design give the over all rifle a more modern look. Paint was very dull black.

How was the upper/lower fit on the g2 recon ?
    Comparable to the mws ?
    I'm in the middle of importing one up north here right now. Kind of taking a leap of faith.

It would be awesome if you just ran it on the shootout thread with some close up pics of the following.

Beveled mag well area

Monolithic bolt carrier group

Brass deflector

Pic of ejected brass

How far it ejects the brass and in what direction

I've got a G2 SASS coming in tomorrow after a 2 week wait from Buds. I'll post some pics and range report as soon as I can but I am no expert in the matter.

It would be awesome if you just ran it on the shootout thread with some close up pics of the following.

Beveled mag well area

Monolithic bolt carrier group

Brass deflector

Pic of ejected brass

How far it ejects the brass and in what direction

Will do.

Let them offer one in 6.5CM and I will buy one just for s&g.

wow, so the g2 SASS is right about the same price point as the g1 SASS was/is (don't know if it is still around that 1900 retail price point)? That's cool. I see they don't come with the JP trigger anymore. DPMS's website indicates it is the DPMS 2 stage fire control group. I owned the g1 SASS and liked that JP trigger. It will be nice to see how the DPMS trigger stacks up, if it stacks up?

There must be pay you pretty good Elfster1234

Nope, he just really likes 308 gas guns.
    And this g2 is the most significant development in 308 gas guns in a long time.

I just wish they didn't have to use a proprietary threading on the upper. I would love to get a Recon and throw a KAC URX on it.

I just wish they didn't have to use a proprietary threading on the upper. I would love to get a Recon and throw a KAC URX on it.

When I asked at SHOT, I was told the outside thread on the G2 barrel nut would accept the standard AR-15 hand guards. I can't yet confirm that and I did not have my calipers in my pocket. :)

That would be awesome if it was. There has to be more to the story though because over on ar15 DPMS has stated that manufacturers are working on freefloat options for the new 308 G2 guns and that would seem to indicate they don't fit since there would be no reason to develop anything new. It would be cool if they would offer a gun with a medium heavy profile barrel and a rifle length gas system for a gun that could be run in dual roles similar to the concept of the KAC M110K2, accurate enough for shots out to 800m but light enough for close quarters work too. I know a rifle length system isn't needed for that but I think it looks sexier :).

When I asked at SHOT, I was told the outside thread on the G2 barrel nut would accept the standard AR-15 hand guards. I can't yet confirm that and I did not have my calipers in my pocket. :)

That would be awesome if it was. There has to be more to the story though because over on ar15 DPMS has stated that manufacturers are working on freefloat options for the new 308 G2 guns and that would seem to indicate they don't fit since there would be no reason to develop anything new. It would be cool if they would offer a gun with a medium heavy profile barrel and a rifle length gas system for a gun that could be run in dual roles similar to the concept of the KAC M110K2, accurate enough for shots out to 800m but light enough for close quarters work too. I know a rifle length system isn't needed for that but I think it looks sexier :).

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...s/231007-dpms-gii-308-rifles.html#post2936409

After retiring from the Marine Corps in 2004, I attended the DDM Course (Designated Defensive Marksman\ Sniper course) when I worked for Blackwater. The 7.62 semi-auto rifle that was used during the course was the DPMS Panther. There were a lot of problems with that rifle. I personally saw 4 different rifles that when you took the upper receiver off the lower and inspected where the bolt moved through the upper receiver, there was an "extreme gauge" where the bolt cam pin was eating into the upper receiver. Tolerances were bad to say the least. Unless DPMS has come full circle on quality control, I would certainly be very careful on what you purchase.

Just a side note.

Im not saying the new dpms g2 line is better than higher end options such as lmt, obr, gap, jp, snd so on. Think out your purchases. I think if you can afford it there are better options. With that said. It is really hard to say anything at this point with such little feedback from actual owners. So far from actually being able to pick up the rifles without shooting them i was impressed. That is why i would like to see some actual sh owners with g2 rifles run them on my shootout thread to give some kind of accuracy potential. Regardless, i think the g2 improvements are in the right direction.

After retiring from the Marine Corps in 2004, I attended the DDM Course (Designated Defensive Marksman\ Sniper course) when I worked for Blackwater. The 7.62 semi-auto rifle that was used during the course was the DPMS Panther. There were a lot of problems with that rifle. I personally saw 4 different rifles that when you took the upper receiver off the lower and inspected where the bolt moved through the upper receiver, there was an "extreme gauge" where the bolt cam pin was eating into the upper receiver. Tolerances were bad to say the least. Unless DPMS has come full circle on quality control, I would certainly be very careful on what you purchase.

DPMS no longer exists as a company. It's a name only, retained by the Freedom Group, with some of the DPMS operating capacity retained, combined with Remington and the shell name of Bushmaster, with the addition of purchasing the largest machine shop that makes AR15 receiver sets from forgings, namely LAR Mfg.

I also had issues with my DPMS LR-308, which required a new extractor and polishing of the very tight chamber.

This GII should really bear the Freedom Group logo, but it makes more sense from a marketing perspective to use recognized name brands, rather than try to introduce a new company name, in addition to a new rifle. I have come to the conclusion that the Randy Luth era DPMS guns were rack-grade vismods, capable of looking like an AR15, or vaguely looking like an SR25, but are nothing of the sort when you find out what each and every component is. For rack-grade guns, many of them had highly accurate barrels, but other than that, I wouldn't go near one.

The GII is a different animal entirely, designed by experienced and formally-trained engineers, as best as I can ascertain. The 1990's-2011 DPMS/Panther Arms could never have thought up and executed something like this.

Whereas the older LR-308 and AP4 line of blasters were extruded receivers of 6000-series aluminum, with PTFE coatings, the GII is 7075 T6 aluminum with hard anodizing, 4150 CMV chrome-lined barrels in the AP4 and MOE models, an in-house forged and finish-machined bolt carrier, radial lugged bolt and extension, and a new gas key design that I feel is superior to any of the existing carrier key arrangements from a manufacturing and long-term reliability standpoint. On top of that, they actually torture-tested this system, kept the lid on it, and had product shipped to dealers before SHOT this year.

I have become the type of guy that simply can't bring myself to buy off-the-shelf guns anymore, as it's a trust issue, and I don't trust anybody but custom shops to get it right, with very few exceptions, and then I still verify. This is the first gun in a long time that I have actually considered snagging if I came across one, but I would pull the barrel anyway and replace it with a custom .260 Rem pipe, get the firing pin hole bushed, and have the pin turned down to fit in the new hole, in addition to some other tweaks to the bolt (lapping, de-edging, radius the ejector face, truing and polishing the bolt face...).

They could really kill the market even more if they shipped kits with everything but the barrel and furniture, to include the unique barrel extension, and charge maybe $100 less than a complete AP4 model, since they are already providing barrel nut dimensions to handguard manufacturers. Let those of us who are going to build anyway pay more than full price for equivalent components, let us handle the completion with the barrel work, and make even better margins with no liability for Freedom Group.

Lawyers win, board room wins, discerning customers win, while they still crank out the production models, which will be back-ordered if they aren't already.