• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Home At Last...

Averagejoe

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2008
Behind You!!!
Gotta Love Africa... Crates arrived on Thursday..

Hippo.jpg

Rhino2.jpg

Re: Home At Last...

I think you need a bigger wall.

John

One More... Not all are from me. The Kudu and some of the European Mount Skulls are actually my Mothers that she shot in 1977 in Rhodesia.

Oh and for those of you that know Cape Buffalo the Mounted one measures 47"...
smile.gif

CapeBuffaloWall.jpg

That is just crazy. If you don't mind me asking how much did that hunt set you back. I have always wanted to go to Africa but never thought I could afford it.

Who did you go with and could you make a recommendation for a 1st timer as it looks like you have some experience...

The leopard was shot back in 2001 and the Rhino, Hippo and Buffalo were shot in 2005.

They were all taken in South Africa with a now retired outfitter.

Don't really like talking about $ but lets just say its pushing 6 figures for all of them combined.

I'm actually in Birch run but most people have no clue where that is. I work in Flint so its all relevant.. Where are you at?

Thanks for the welcome...

Holy Shit... I missed the earlier post. Did you say 6 Figures...

What about a plains game hunt. I know many people have done that so those cant be near that much correct???

Lets just say Mr. Hippo doesn't have quite as bad of breath as he did when I shot him...

Those stains are there to stay even after all the polishing they did on them...

That's an impressive trophey room you have there! Not too many people can claim they have a rhino, hippo and leopard. I was under the impression that rhinos were not available to hunt, is that a dart and reproduction mount or am I misinformed? Thanks for the pics, I'd like to hear about the hunts when you get a chance!

Bryan,

There are many pre conceived notions that many animals are either completely off the hunting lists or endangered to the point of making it illegal to hunt.

You are correct in stating that Rhinos aren't available to hunt but there are caveats to that statement. Black Rhino are highly endangered and in most countries off the list of legal species because of critically low populations but White Rhino on the other hand while they are classified as a low population there are still a very legal species. They however are extremely expensive and tend to cost roughly $1,000.00USD per Inch for main horn length. My Rhino which is a White Rhino measured 29" so you can do the math.. I shot him in 2002 when the prices were a bit lower @ $800.00 Per Inch. You can dart and have a mold made but the hunt will still cost about $10,000.00USD and the Mold mount is about $6,500.00 so it is still expensive and far to much for a piece of fiberglass in my opinion.

I have been hunting Africa from the time I was 5 years old so over the years I have had some opportunities to hunt animals that were either classified as problem animals or dangerous to the general public.

The leopard I shot was actually charging vehicles next to a public Highway between Nelstrum and Valwater in South Africa so I was give the permit and not charged to harvest the animal.

Additionally the Hippo pictured was the dominant Bull in the river and was killing every male Calf born so they offered me the chance to take him out of the heard and I obliged again for far less than the normal cost. This has been the case with nearly 40 animals on my trophy room walls and as you can see very few make it to a full mount and many end up skulls or European mounts on Plaques. In places like Africa its about time in the field and in my case I have spent nearly 2 1/2 years in Africa since 2001 so those opportunities were quasi earned by just being around at the right time.

Joe

I figured there was more to the rhino situation than I would know about, I think that regardless of the cost it would be worth it to be able to take such an animal.

2 1/2 years in Africa since 2001 hunting? How'd you pull that one off? I need to learn some things from you. I know that it wouldn't be advisable to go freelance in Africa like you would go duck hunting in Canada, but with 2.5 years of Africa in 8 years would it be possible/legal to hunt Africa without going through an outfitter and PH?

Africa is on my "Bucket List", I'd like to eventually try some dangerous game but a big Eland is something that I really would like to see on my wall too. As of right now I've got to settle for reading about it until I get all the money scraped together. My Capstick collection are going to have worn out bindings if I don't get over there soon. My next door neighbor and his wife are from Central Africa, Burundi, and are going back for three weeks to see family. I considered hiding in their suite case with a rifle and box of bullets, but I get clausterphobic. The man has some stories to tell though........twenty years ago he was running around Burundi barefoot, now he's an chemical engineer for an oil refinery living in Memphis.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Average</span>Joe, huh???

Dude, If you have that stuff hangin' on the wall you are FAR from <span style="font-weight: bold">AVERAGE</span>!

nice pics.
Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bryan27</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Joe

I figured there was more to the rhino situation than I would know about, I think that regardless of the cost it would be worth it to be able to take such an animal.

2 1/2 years in Africa since 2001 hunting? How'd you pull that one off? I need to learn some things from you. I know that it wouldn't be advisable to go freelance in Africa like you would go duck hunting in Canada, but with 2.5 years of Africa in 8 years would it be possible/legal to hunt Africa without going through an outfitter and PH?

Africa is on my "Bucket List", I'd like to eventually try some dangerous game but a big Eland is something that I really would like to see on my wall too. As of right now I've got to settle for reading about it until I get all the money scraped together. My Capstick collection are going to have worn out bindings if I don't get over there soon. My next door neighbor and his wife are from Central Africa, Burundi, and are going back for three weeks to see family. I considered hiding in their suite case with a rifle and box of bullets, but I get claustrophobic. The man has some stories to tell though........twenty years ago he was running around Burundi barefoot, now he's an chemical engineer for an oil refinery living in Memphis. </div></div>

Central Africa is a whole different world. I too have come across a few people with stories that just make you say wow..

I am actually a certified hunter in South Africa thus explaining the amount of time additionally I have a number of very good friends that I stay with between hunting and traveling. There is really only a concern about time spent if a foreign citizen is staying in country for more than 6 months per excursion.

I did have to apply for a Study Permit from the South African Embassy in DC before taking my PH classes but other than that a laundry list of vaccinations and some good malaria pills and your fine..

Read the book "I Married Adventure" as that is what my wife compares to our life together.. but my favorite by far is "Death in the Long Grass"

Very Very Very cool.

I hope to have 10% of the time and experience you have had in Africa...

Do you take people along? If yes what does it cost for a 1st timer that wants to shoot a few animals..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AverageJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Central Africa is a whole different world. I too have come across a few people with stories that just make you say wow..

I am actually a certified hunter in South Africa thus explaining the amount of time additionally I have a number of very good friends that I stay with between hunting and traveling. There is really only a concern about time spent if a foreign citizen is staying in country for more than 6 months per excursion.

I did have to apply for a Study Permit from the South African Embassy in DC before taking my PH classes but other than that a laundry list of vaccinations and some good malaria pills and your fine..

Read the book "I Married Adventure" as that is what my wife compares to our life together.. but my favorite by far is "Death in the Long Grass" </div></div>

"Death in the Long Grass" IS a bad ass book, it is what got me back to reading a lot, just one of those books that you can't put down and leaves you hanging on every word. Capsticks' book "Warrior" is the one I would rank as his most interesting book that I've read, especially if you like history. I just finished reading "The Last Ivory Hunter" for the first time and really enjoyed it, I imagine I will be cracking it back open in a few months to enjoy it again.

I take it you come from a family that got you into hunting Africa? I grew up hunting ducks, pheasant and grouse with a little bit of deer hunting for a while. Dad wasn't ever really big into hunting, just enjoyed going out a few times a year and watch the dogs work. I tried and tried talking him into Africa but that just wasn't his thing. He'd win trips through work every year for sales, pick from a catalog of very elaborate vacations. There was always a section of hunting and fishing vacations to choose from with Africa, South America, Canada, Alaska, New Zealand and others that he could choose from but always ended up going to Europe with my mom or later my step mother.

My buddies that I duck hunt with have no interest in going to Africa for some reason, I have a hard time understanding anyone that hunts not wanting to go, but.... If I can talk my cousin into it I'll start putting some money away for a trip otherwise I'll just go it alone, I'm not the kind that begs someone to have a good time, I'll have a good time anyways. I hear you can have a pretty good plains game hunt for $10k-15k, so not much more than some pay to hunt one species in Alaska or out west. Plus, it'll give me an excuse to buy that Winchester 70 pre '64 375 H&H I have no use for...

Bryan,

Yes I grew up in a family that hunted Africa heavily so my opportunities were what many hunters dreams are made of...

Look for the book "Memoirs of an African Hunter" by Terry Irwin through www.safaripress.com also the movie "The Flame Tree's of Thika" is a good watch if you can find it...

Additionally 10-15k is very high for a good hunt now a days. I can recommend hunts for 7-10 animals and 10-14 days for under 10k and sometimes less if you can rough it a little more than the average 1st time African hunter. Tented Safari camps can lower prices a bit or hunts in Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe and Zambia now are much lower than South Africa but SA's prices are dropping fast as there economy is feeling the effect of the US and European markets plunge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PullinTriggers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congrats on your success. Those hunts must have made some amazing memories. </div></div>

Pullin,

Its been a hell of a ride that's for sure...

Many more stories and adventures to be made...