• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Home Brew Mini SASS question

Rodo

Private
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2013
Kodiak, AK
I am piecing together a home brew Mini SASS, as the title says. I would have rather built a MK 12 forgery, but funds being withheld for my 338 build, and this being all done in trades and birthday money....

Brings me to the question. I was looking at photos of the MK 12 Mod 0, and love the rail on the top, and would like to have something like that on my home build. Is there a "monolithic" rail available, or is it part of the upper, or is it a monolithic upper that just looks 2 piece? This is the last piece that I want that is giving me trouble in finding any info, leading me to believe either its non existent outside of the MK 12 parts or custom build pieces, or Im searching the wrong way. Everything else is on its way, or getting picked up soon when the trade is officially made.

Any help from you guys would be appreciated.

Thank You. Dont need the forearm, but the top rail link is MUCH appreciated.

Post-up when you get it together, I'd be interested to know how you end up attaching the rail to the handguard.

At this point, Im not trying to build the real deal or a damn close knock off of either the MK12 or the SASS, the funds just arent there. What I am building is something that fits me thats a lot more SASS-esque than anything else, and hits well in the 0-600ish range. Starting with a DPMS Oracle, and building and swapping it into its own monster, tinkering and learning more along the way. Ive never seen the point of buying the exact same thing everyone else has when it doesnt fit "you", unless its something you really want and already have something that fits you. I dont think any of the top rails I have found will work with a quad rail, so it looks more like Ill use a PEPR mount to keep the scope off of the front rail instead of trying to link the two with a top rail. Either way, I still appreciate the links since once everything levels out, my 338 build will get done, apply for the stamp to SBR my 300BLK pistol, and then on to my MK12 fetish.

Thanks again guys, and when its all done up, Ill get it posted.

At this point, Im not trying to build the real deal or a damn close knock off of either the MK12 or the SASS, the funds just arent there. What I am building is something that fits me thats a lot more SASS-esque than anything else, and hits well in the 0-600ish range. Starting with a DPMS Oracle, and building and swapping it into its own monster, tinkering and learning more along the way. Ive never seen the point of buying the exact same thing everyone else has when it doesnt fit "you", unless its something you really want and already have something that fits you. I dont think any of the top rails I have found will work with a quad rail, so it looks more like Ill use a PEPR mount to keep the scope off of the front rail instead of trying to link the two with a top rail. Either way, I still appreciate the links since once everything levels out, my 338 build will get done, apply for the stamp to SBR my 300BLK pistol, and then on to my MK12 fetish.

Thanks again guys, and when its all done up, Ill get it posted.

You can bridge the receiver and forend with a clamp-on riser. The one I use is supposed to fit .308 ARs and is long enough to where I can get the front cross-bolt on the handguard.

Attachments

• 20140711_092125.jpg
    20140711_092125.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14