• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How Deep Does The Rabbit Hole Go?

b2lee

Stealthy
Minuteman
  • Dec 30, 2018
    N. KY
    So, I like many, wanted to build a 1000 to 2000 yard rifle...something that had few flaws...if any. If I don't hit the target...I want to know without a doubt...it isn't the equipment...it is me...and be able to understand what I need to work on. So...the journey began with the selection of a cartridge. Next it was premium components...and now I'm filling in with equipment.

So...I've posted the specs on my rifle here before...but tell me...how far down does the rabbit hole go on equipment? Add to the list if you can name something:

ADG Brass
    LE Wilson Arbor Press dies
    K&M Arbor Press.
    Neck bushing for dies
    Sinclair version of the LE Wilson Micrometer Seating Die.
    Giraud Trimmer
    Autotrickler V3
    MagnetoSpeedV3
    Primal Rights Competition Primer Seater
    AMP Annealer
    21st Century Neck Turning Lathe
    K&M Primer Pocket Uniformer
    Sinclair Neck Mandrels
    21st Century Concentricity Tool
    Area 419 Powder Funnel Kit
    Area 419 50 round magnum reloading tray

If I weren't a 'Poors' before...I'm getting there quickly.

Your much much further in than I
    I do have ADG brass and a 21st century neck turner.
    Torch and socket for annealing.
    Lee, Redding and Forster dies.
    Lee press
    Hornandy powder measure
    419 funnel.
    frankfort neck trimmer.
    RCBS universal hand primer.

I plan on spending more money on Barrels, bullets and powder as the junk I have gives good results.

Last edited:
    I just want the madness to stop....heh. Still need a RSS Tripod and instead of getting some of the long range cameras...going with the DJI Mavic Air 2 drone...for the same price as a Long Shot Camera...you can get a drone with better video and a 6 mile range....240fps for hopefully....maybe catching a bullet at a mile just before it smacks the steel. I think at that distance my bullet will be moving 6.5ft per frame.

But the madness better end soon...because I have another rifle I want to build ;)

I can feel the slow pull towards the rabbit? err...black hole myself. Will attempt to avoid wasting hard earned funds along the ever accelerating trajectory by learning from the SH community. Thanks for the posts and info!

The sad part is...the above isn't the entire list :( I got 6 stations worth of Inline Fabrication flush mount plates....and a ton of Dan's add ons and custom plates for things that aren't used for the above rifle...but for other rifles...such as Dillion Primer Pocket Swagger....and Meplat trimmers....I probably got $1500 easily in Inline Fabrication stuff. Bags and cases....tools out my ass...like Primer Pocket go and no go gauges....trigger pull gauges....bolt take down tools...fixtures....but one thing I don't have is a clamp on scope level....sure I have one on the bottom of my Spuhr mount....because it comes with the mount...but it is in a location that I can't see with my blind self...and I don't use it.

I'm thinking.... LIDAR....yep...cause a Kestrel isnt' enough....I need 3D mapped wind currents out to 30 miles ;)

ELR relativity, the rabbit hole equates the renge of the target?

Not sure, I'm at 1k and just saw the title passing by.

You gotta start this analysis at the target and work backwards. Sort out target size, distance, environmentals, and first round hit percentage goal, then you can run models in AB Analytics till you see the velocity / BC / velocity SD that will achieve that.

From there you can decide what compromises you are OK with making so you can get as close to your goal as possible.

For real world examples, here's the equipment used at KO2M:

If you want to see more field rifle setups, look at what's working at the NF ELR Steel Challenge.

Well, I’m pretty bored with 22lr. That hole has never even been a trip hazard. This Hornady Precision Hunter Steel Challenge though... that might consume

But the other end is an even deeper rabbit hole...

Optics - high end rifle scope and high end spotting scope?
    Longer range calibers = more expensive rifles - I'm jonesing for a 416B
    (^^^ now go buy more expensive dies, mandrels, larger press,etc.)
    Large caliber solids , expensive brass, larger powder diet
    Your moderately priced range finder will struggle at 2 miles, so pony up.
    You are gonna need a Tarac or two or three
    Less places to shoot so more travel $

If your looking to go 2000 yards max then 300NM is a great choice or for budget Ruger PR in 300 prc under $2000 and many barrels available. I f you want to play with the big dogs then 375ct on up. The nice thing about the 375ct good brass and lots of bullets to choose from. But be ready to send some $ . I just had Robert Vestal rebarrel my 375ct with and it was about $1500 with cross country shipping. I have hit out to 3400+ yards. Here is my ELR Rig
    Cadex Shadow 375ct
    34in 1-7 Heavy Bartlein barrel
    Terminator T5 Brake
    S&B 3X27 34 mil
    Just ordered a Charlie Tac set to 30 mil, I did have an Ivey 50 mil adjustable base on.
    Accu-Tac bipod HD-50
    IMG_0363.jpg

If your looking to go 2000 yards max then 300NM is a great choice or for budget Ruger PR in 300 prc under $2000 and many barrels available. I f you want to play with the big dogs then 375ct on up. The nice thing about the 375ct good brass and lots of bullets to choose from. But be ready to send some $ . I just had Robert Vestal rebarrel my 375ct with and it was about $1500 with cross country shipping. I have hit out to 3400+ yards. Here is my ELR Rig
    Cadex Shadow 375ct
    34in 1-7 Heavy Bartlein barrel
    Terminator T5 Brake
    S&B 3X27 34 mil
    Just ordered a Charlie Tac set to 30 mil, I did have an Ivey 50 mil adjustable base on.
    Accu-Tac bipod HD-50
    View attachment 7372584
    I recently ordered a Charlie tarac as well.
    Itching to get it
    Targets hanging and on order from 2800-3500 to try with my 7mm midget stripper magnum.

For 1000 to 2000 yards...I'm already +$9k into a custom 300PRC with a ZCO 5-27x56 MPCT3 sitting on top. Probably looking to spend about the same on a 37XC or so. The 300PRC has made hits at 2500yds....and that's the farthest I've ever attempted.

However....since I have no place to really stretch a 37XC out...without traveling....probably going to rethink my 1000 yard and in game...with a nice custom 6mm something.

The rabbit hole is getting deeper...forgot all about a Charlie Tarac....it is on my list.

I recently ordered a Charlie tarac as well.
    Itching to get it
    Targets hanging and on order from 2800-3500 to try with my 7mm midget stripper magnum.

Please tell me that is the actual name of the chambering!:ROFLMAO:

This is a rabbit hole! never ends! and throws you a curve every time you think you have something figured out BAM! nope hahaha

Reactions: b2lee
    got to love the ride .I also love the name you gave that load (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)
    if you ever decide to make and sell that with that name it would at least be creative and catchy

So, I like many, wanted to build a 1000 to 2000 yard rifle...something that had few flaws...if any. If I don't hit the target...I want to know without a doubt...it isn't the equipment...it is me...and be able to understand what I need to work on. So...the journey began with the selection of a cartridge. Next it was premium components...and now I'm filling in with equipment.

So...I've posted the specs on my rifle here before...but tell me...how far down does the rabbit hole go on equipment? Add to the list if you can name something:

ADG Brass
    LE Wilson Arbor Press dies
    K&M Arbor Press.
    Neck bushing for dies
    Sinclair version of the LE Wilson Micrometer Seating Die.
    Giraud Trimmer
    Autotrickler V3
    MagnetoSpeedV3
    Primal Rights Competition Primer Seater
    AMP Annealer
    21st Century Neck Turning Lathe
    K&M Primer Pocket Uniformer
    Sinclair Neck Mandrels
    21st Century Concentricity Tool
    Area 419 Powder Funnel Kit
    Area 419 50 round magnum reloading tray

If I weren't a 'Poors' before...I'm getting there quickly.

At this particular junction in history it is far better to be gun rich and fiat currency poor.

Last edited:
    Reactions: jasent
    Being stuck in the maze...I found myself doing something today...that I laughed at once before....mocked even....but if it helps me at 1 mile...I'll try anything. I weighed and separated primers....yep...I admit it...this rabbit hole has a lock on me...and I'm going down down down!

Reactions: calshipbuilder
    Being stuck in the maze...I found myself doing something today...that I laughed at once before....mocked even....but if it helps me at 1 mile...I'll try anything. I weighed and separated primers....yep...I admit it...this rabbit hole has a lock on me...and I'm going down down down!
    hahaha, that is pretty far down! I tend to be about efficiency, and getting effective results the easiest and fastest way possible (call it laziness if you like, it's a fine line). Weighing primers is definitely beyond my willingness. As if there weren't enough options right now, there is always people coming up with a new method, new product, new cartridge etc, at some point you have to stop, be satisfied with your current results and just go shoot. Otherwise you may spend your entire life developing and improving and never actually enjoy the stuff you've got.