• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors home defense caliber and rev. or semi-auto ?

CJW

Private
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2008
Tomahawk, WI
I'm thinking about getting my mom a pistol of some make for home defense and need some insight. What do you guys think is the best home defense caliber? And is there a preference for revolvers or semi-autos for home defense?

Thanks

Re: home defense caliber and rev. or semi-auto ?

get mid size gun with rail. put a light on it. 9mm so she can handle it and has plenty of shots. As far as which gun. I like the Sig 229 SCT. She should really go handle the guns and see which one feels the best. Ideal would be to go to a range and rest the guns and feel what they feel like with loaded mag in them and how they shoot for her.

Home defense???

Mossberg Home Defense shotgun... Winchester (I think) makes some "Low recoil / Low Noise" shells that are girl friendly.

Less probability of a miss, and less chance of people in other rooms getting hit.

Just my opinion...

imo she should have a light on the weapon whatever it may be and more than 6 shots!

12 ga.

But, make sure it has a light on it. Otherwise, the bad guys wont know where to aim...

20 gauge shotgun assuming it's never going to leave the house. If she can handle a 12 gauge then more power to her.

I would reccomend a 38 revolver otherwise. Fewer points of failure under stress.

As previously suggested, take her to the range and let her try a few guns.

Just my two cents.

I'm telling you, those Winchester shells in a 12ga is way managable... My wife can handle them, and she's a wuss...

S&W revolver in 38. Revolvers do not jam and are easy to load etc. less to mess up under stress. If it does not go bang, just pull the trigger again.

1) How much shooting experience does your mom have? If it's minimal or she won't go practice then an autoloader is not a good idea. A revolver is a better idea.

2) Can she already handle a rifle/shotgun? If so, then maybe a 19" barreled 20 ga with a youth stock and a light is a good idea instead.

If you go with a pistol, something hammerless and chambered in 357 is good, this way she can shoot 38's or make the move to a 357 if she decides to. A handy pump action shotty is a good idea as well.

What is Mom's qualifications for shooting? Does she shoot regularly? Is she that worried about where she lives? If so, maybe you should look into new digs for her. If she likes to shoot, is familiar with handguns, anything in .45 would be superb. Nothing, adn I mean nothing, beats a 12 Guage for home defense. Shotgun. Mossberg Pump, Remy 1100 semi auto, all good stuff. Benelli's are a little difficult for beginners though

The low recoil/noise stuff JRose mentioned is something else. My 20ga kicks harder.

revolvers are generally the best bet for a unskilled shooter, a good s&w...anyone can figure it out

Take her out and have her shoot both handguns and shotguns. See what she likes/what's easier for her to handle in the dark and under stress. Give her the info on caliber that you learn here and let her shoot those calibers from different manufacturers in both semi-auto and revolver. One problem my wife has is she has dainty hands and cannot easily pull the slide back on a semi-auto, therefore, she has a revolver for ease of operation. I know this is a standard answer but the truth is, it's all personal preference, especially when it comes to defense. Then encourage her to get professional training with the gun she selects. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the serious answers. No she doesn't live in a bad neighborhood, she lives in a nice neighborhood, but we would both feel more comfortable if she had something. Anything can happen anywhere. Yes she has shot guns before, but not a handgun for a while.

I like the idea of a spurless .357. So she can shoot 38's or 357's. Maybe the 38's for home defense so there isn't too much over penetration, I live with her for a few months during the winter, and 357's for when she's taking walks in the woods. I'm going to see if I can find a place where she can fire a few different ones to see what's comfortable for her.

On a side note. Do some of you have that little faith in a woman to fire a gun that the only answer is a dog? If you were just kidding then whatever. But I'm curious.

My wife has a youth model 870 20 guage.
The big ass dog acts as an early warning system.
When I'm working nights, I call before I go home.
He's half Pit and half Lab and sleeps on the floor on her side of the bed. Good luck getting up the driveway without her finding out!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hatchie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My wife has a youth model 870 20 guage.
The big ass dog acts as an early warning system.
When I'm working nights, I call before I go home.
He's half Pit and half Lab and sleeps on the floor on her side of the bed. Good luck getting up the driveway without her finding out! </div></div>

My girlfriend knows that the Glock 20 next to the bed you "point and pull the trigger until it stops shooting"

If there's an issue with that, she's got years of MA training with weapons, I'd be more afraid of her with a knife than me with a gun in a dark house.

The chocolate lab is an early greeting system. He'll let you know that there's a potential friend out there to come in and pet him. He doesn't get defensive...

Yeah, when I'm not their my dog is with me so she doesn't have a dog right now either. He goes insane if he hears someone near the house at night, especially if we're in bed. He's the nicest lab in the world, but I swear he'd take an intruders arm off. Hopefully I never find out.

Unless she can rack the action on a semi auto, I would recommend a revolver. It's true that you can have one in the pipe ready to go, but if there is a feeding issue, it may be a problem. With a revolver, if there is a bullet is there if will fire. You can always get the speed reload for her.

If you have a dog on a bad guy and you have to use a weapon, you risk hurting the dog.
Less so with a handgun, much more with a shotty.
I also think it is easier for a bad guy to get a shotgun away from a scared older lady than it is a small revolver.

My vote is dog + spurless .38/ .357 revolver.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[The chocolate lab is an early greeting system. He'll let you know that there's a potential friend out there to come in and pet him. He doesn't get defensive... </div></div>

LOL. I have a yellow version of that same greeting system.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tigerbikes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have a dog on a bad guy and you have to use a weapon, you risk hurting the dog.
I also think it is easier for a bad guy to get a shotgun away from a scared older lady than it is a small revolver.

My vote is dog + spurless .38/ .357 revolver. </div></div>
The shotgun was my wife's idea. She never could get comfortable shooting a pistol of ANY kind and we tried a bunch.
She's comfortable with the little 870 so who am I to argue...if it ain't broke

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tigerbikes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have a dog on a bad guy and you have to use a weapon, you risk hurting the dog.
<span style="font-weight: bold">I also think it is easier for a bad guy to get a shotgun away from a scared older lady than it is a small revolver.</span>

My vote is dog + spurless .38/ .357 revolver. </div></div>

I'd have to disagree with that. My mom-in-law is wanting a gun in her house and we're trying to make sure she gets the right gun. She's convinced that a pistol under her pillow will scare the bad guys away. If you're going to point a gun at an intruder in your home, they shouldn't have a chance to take it away. <span style="font-style: italic">If</span> they get that chance, would you rather have something small in your hand that is much easier for someone tripped out on whatever kids take now to have it pointing back at your vitals; or something much longer and bigger to give you more leverage? I would say any younger person who's doped up would stand a much better chance of getting a revolver away from you than a shotgun. If they get close enough to take the shotgun away, they should be Swiss cheese at that point.

My pennies go to the 870 youth model. From what I've observed (which is not professional expertise in <span style="font-style: italic">any</span> way), the ballistics on 00 buck aren't that different between 20 and 12 gauge at <7 yards. Go with what she's comfortable with. If she's comfy with a .41mag S&W Night Guard, make sure she gets one.

We always need to ask how qualified someone is who may getting a gun. Male or Female either way, if the individual is not qualified that changes the answer from one who is.

Panty 6 was and is still a natural shooter. She just pickes up whatever and hits bullseyes all damn day and for some reason has no bad habits. I have given her very little pointers over the years because of this.
My mom on the other hand, was not a very good shooter, and her little Berretta Tom Cat(.32 ACP) after she got bored with it, sat in a closet for years until I recovered it upon her death.
My Brother and I were both within 911, real 911 distance from her so we could actually respond in time to stop something bad from happening back in the day.

If your mom is fine with a handgun. take her to a range that rents guns, adn let her pick what she wants to shoot. Advise her on the calibers and point her toward oh, 9mm, .40, or even .45, and the .38's and .357's. Panty 6 used to hate .357 MAgs, but last time we went and shot handguns, she was all over the Colt Trooper and the full house loads. Her favorite is still the .45 though, because 'it has a really authoratative BOOM!' Yeah, most women who haven't shot regualr basis feel so empowered when they get to shooting all the time. Get mom out to the range and let her do some damage on paper and metal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CJW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the serious answers. No she doesn't live in a bad neighborhood, she lives in a nice neighborhood, but we would both feel more comfortable if she had something. Anything can happen anywhere. Yes she has shot guns before, but not a handgun for a while.

I like the idea of a spurless .357. So she can shoot 38's or 357's. Maybe the 38's for home defense so there isn't too much over penetration, I live with her for a few months during the winter, and 357's for when she's taking walks in the woods. I'm going to see if I can find a place where she can fire a few different ones to see what's comfortable for her.

On a side note. Do some of you have that little faith in a woman to fire a gun that the only answer is a dog? If you were just kidding then whatever. But I'm curious. </div></div>

I have trained hundreds of women to shoot and always recommend a revolver for the reasons you describe above. You need to sit Mom down and seriously ask her what she has that is worth protecting by taking the life of another human. That is a huge ghost to carry and if she cannot live with that decision the dog is a good solution.

Some of these guys read too many magazines when discussing over penetration. My pellet gun goes through sheetrock. A good home security plan considers fields of fire, safe areas and friendlies in the house, furniture etc.

I just bought my Mom a new .38 revolver. She doesnt see very well (sights, not targets) so I put some Crimson trace grips on and her hit percentage went up. The more you can expose her to different weapons, the better. I would stay away from Glocks for Mom as they have a tendency to fail to function if you limp wrist them.

My $ .02

Some basic training with whatever weapon you choose is far more valuable than the weapon itself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shaggyback</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[The chocolate lab is an early greeting system. He'll let you know that there's a potential friend out there to come in and pet him. He doesn't get defensive... </div></div>

LOL. I have a yellow version of that same greeting system. </div></div>

I have a dual greeting system in my house of that same version... black & chocolate..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wil</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shaggyback</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[The chocolate lab is an early greeting system. He'll let you know that there's a potential friend out there to come in and pet him. He doesn't get defensive... </div></div>

LOL. I have a yellow version of that same greeting system. </div></div>

I have a dual greeting system in my house of that same version... black & chocolate.. </div></div>

Hahah... wonderful creatures. I grew up with a yellow and then a chocolate. My parents have a black one now, and my daily walking buddy is a chocolate

How about a compact 9MM auto...small, light, and lotsa bullets. I'm partial to the H&K USP 9, Glock 19, and CZ75 9 in that order. Mount a set of AO/XS Sights (Big Dot) for instant target acquisition, and be sure to include training, training, and more training.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Panty 6 was and is still a natural shooter. </div></div>

I just have to ask. Does this make you the Panty 7 element?

In my house...

axo7jd.jpg

Am I crazy or was there an identifuckal thread less than six months ago -- also with "my mom needs..." in the title?
crazy.gif

+++ 1 on shotgun and the most training you can afford

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Big dog </div></div>

Actually, a big dog AND a little one. The combination will make a lot more noise. The little one will also keep the big one awake and moving.

Even if she is a GREAT SHOOTER, a couple of dogs will scare off all but the most determined scumbags. Cheap first line of defense. Can be fun to play with too...

BTW, "get a dog" is a SERIOUS answer to your question.

I'm going to chime in on the semiauto vs. revolver issue - if you are going to go semi-automatic handgun, that person needs to be trained in malfunction drills. Women are much, much more likely to limp wrist under stress and get a malfunction. And I'm not talking about the "let me think..tap, tap, rack" I mean the muscle memory where the gun doesn't go off and your hands do the malfunction drills without you thinking. You only achieve that through intense, regular training, either in the form of a solid one week course of pure handgun or regular weekly range sessions, not just one or two sessions at the range. (I believe the average repetition to get "muscle memory" is about 3000 drills.)

On those people with those lovable labs & goldens - I think when an intruder sets in you would be quite surprised. Your animals may welcome your "stranger" friends in because they are reading off your cues; but most of these animals have a much more innate defensive mode if tested. I can't speak for the little ankle nippers breeds, but I have seen untrained golden retrievers bear those front teeth & growl in protective mode and it usually means they mean business.