• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Home made reloading tools (show and tell)

Mike308Bell

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2011
Georgia, USA
Hey guys,

If anybody has made any of their tools to help their reloading process, whould you care to share them with others?

In todays economy, every little bit helps, and in reloading a penny saved is another shot down range...or food on the table!
cool.gif

My first project is to make an OAL / bullet seating depth gauge. But Im not sure just where on the bullet OD the commercial gauges measure. Is it at the point where the rifling touches? I would think so since bullet tip profiles and diameters vary so much. Am I close?

Re: Home made reloading tools (show and tell)

my own dippers to match my 9mm "bulk" loads - was a cut down .38 casing with a closehanger shaped like a handle on an easter egg dye dipper jammed in the primer hole. just put enough powder to meet minimum FPS, but not an overcharge.

was for idpa, was going through alot of ammo, but too cheap to get a powder thrower or a dillon.

.300 win mag charging tray, section of 2x4 with holes drilled in it and chamfered.

and of course the bench itself.

power case trimmer. hand trimmer with the handle in a drill chuck.

case head seperation checker - half a hairpin scrapes the inside bottom of the shell.

media clearer - for the primer pocket after tumbling, decapping rod and pin.

Loading blocks:

empty pistol trays! i grab as many as i can from the range trashcans when i leave (the foam ones are not the best) you really want the plastic ones with individual squares or holes, the flimsy plastic ones don't work and i just toss them.

------------------------------------------------------------------

primer pocket reamer and primer pocket cleaner:

i just chuck the reamer and cleaner heads (hornady) in my drill and it makes quick work of the crimps and cleaning.

case lube:

mix 1/2 tube of lee lube in an empty water bottle then fill 3/4 way with 95% rubbing alcohol. shake well before use

* pour a little in a Ziploc, add cases, close and shake well. take out cases and let air dry then your good to go.

PRESS MOUNT:

IN THE WORKS
wink.gif

I built my rotary tumbler out of a windshield wiper motor and 6" pvc pipe.

Here are some reloading blocks that I made. Probably put too much time and effort into it. Scavenging plastic ones from the range might make more sense.

Had fun making them though.

Reloadingblockemptycropped.jpg

Reloadingblocksstaggeredcropped.jpg

First pardon the capital "M"s. My key board is screwing up and wont type little "M"s.

I started Making My own Case gages. The two on the left are Wilson, the one on the right is the one I Made froM a barrel blank for 30-06. Just used a chaMber reaMer and then triMMEd to specs.

sizing%20002.jpg

case lube:

mix 1/2 tube of lee lube in an empty water bottle then fill 3/4 way with 95% rubbing alcohol. shake well before use

* pour a little in a Ziploc, add cases, close and shake well. take out cases and let air dry then your good to go.

That's exactly what I do, but I toss in 3-5 LEAD pellet's to help in shaking it all up.
I toss the same thing into my bottle's of breakfree for the same reason

A couple three things I didnt want to go out and buy....

0210112219a95296846.jpg

0210112218b95302059.jpg

An annealing fixture, chucks up in my Porter-Cable.....

0210112218a95284000.jpg

Here is my case prep station, why buy one when you can pull some materials out of the "shorts pile" and make one.

My power wilson trimmer station
DSC_0178.jpg

Case prep center
DSC_0182.jpg

Does anyone run a primer pocket uniformer in their Wilson set up? Looks like it would work but I haven't had chance to try it yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silverbullet-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is my case prep station, why buy one when you can pull some materials out of the "shorts pile" and make one.

My power wilson trimmer station
DSC_0178.jpg

Case prep center
DSC_0182.jpg
</div></div>

So jealous of your setup!
I caught these pics in another thread. Great stuff.

...a little overkill for a pencil holder though!
wink.gif

That is a nice setup definately well thought out, props..

200 place 308 reloading block, made this in a CNC class I was taking.
tools_1.jpg

Insulated Ultrasonic cleaner cabinet, couldnt stand the noise of that thing while Im trying to do other stuff.
tools_2.jpg

Rangemaster 750 scale trickler. Sold this off, now just have a chargemaster.
tools_3.jpg

Concentricity gauge
tools_4.jpg

Headspace comparator and bullet comparator for 338
tools_5.jpg

Chamber length plug for measuring how long to trim brass.
tools_6.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The_Hoff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what would you charge for one of those Concentricity gauges?
</div></div>
im thinking the same thing

Im trying to figure it out now. I basically used Bruno's design just to make one for myself, just changed a few things. The problem Im having in making more is I just used the snug (the arm that holds the indicator) from my magnetic base. And Im having a hard time finding that part as a replacement piece in order to make more.

I would guess that it would end up costing about $175 with an import .0005" indicator (same deal as Bruno's @ $235). That thing took me probably 4-6hrs to make, granted I was designing as I was building.

yes, thats what Im talking about.

So Im guessing the bullet od is the neck stud/pilot, and the centering post are 45deg 1.Inch and you used 6061 for the post and base? whats the neck pilot made from stainless or drill rod?

Im making one of those
laugh.gif

Those are some really nice reloading blocks! I guess I'm just old time. I took a bent paper clip to push corn cob media out of flash holes.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CTone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Powder trickler:
PowderTrickler.jpg

It's a clear BIC pen tube. I can drop one kernel of H335 at a time quite easily with it. </div></div>

Hey, I think that one is within my price range!

Cool idea.

just finished my press mount.

all 1/2" aircraft aluminum. I designed and fabricated it myself
laugh.gif

top plate is removable and I am making multiple plates for different presses, vices, trimmers, etc.

not bad for about a days work lol

IMG_0214.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

the bench that it is mounted to is also one of my DIY projects still under construction

Who's the bikini model?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The_Hoff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
IMG_0215.jpg

</div></div>

Here are a few that I have built.

Automatic brass sorter

sorter.jpg

Automated annealing machine

DSC01810.jpg

Automated roll sizer

DSC02028-1.jpg

Bullet feeders

DSC01472.jpg

Case feeder

DSC02187.jpg

Moon clip loader

Even did a case feed conversion on a SD

This one is a video too, click on the photo.

I knew when I saw the first pic, the scope of the engineering was so grand, it must be the guy that made a moon clip loader.

I was just trying to describe your clip loader today.

"It is like a bicycle hand brake, and it loads the moon clips without hurting your fingers..."

Kinda hard to follow jmorris!

Reloading press for 50BMG, all needle-roller and bronze oilite bearings, weighs 80# - a real joy to take off the bench.

img_0019.jpg
img_0020.jpg

Very impressive...betting you don't take that to the range much.

HandmadeReloadingPress.jpg

My brother found this at the gun show and dickered them down to $20.
It is obviously home made and probably a copy of a commercial press.
My theory is that the builder has died.
If I built it, I would have never sold it.