• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Home made steel pistol targets

VoxPatriam

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2014
Some crappy desert
I do a bit of metal work as a side job and decided to make these for my parents for Christmas and a birthday this past year. Just thought I'd share. Not very difficult to make and lots of fun to shoot! The first one I made for my Dad. It's a lanyard pull reset so he never has to leave the firing line to reset the, and the second one I made for my Mom. It's a dueling tree. It's a fun way to waste an afternoon, and a ton of ammo.

Assembled
IMG_20130422_213615_452_zpsfe2f2834.jpg

Broken down
IMG_20130422_060906_738_zps399382bc.jpg

Dueling tree
IMG_20130713_220906_336_zpsf4a7fc4d.jpg

Hinge side
IMG_20130707_185631_054_zps9e8db629.jpg

Nice work. The wife and I play on our dueling tree all the time with .22 pistols. Nothing like making a present for a loved one with your own 2 hands. NOTHING store bought can ever top it!

I do tons of metal fab work myself. ( Drag race car chassis builder) so I enjoy tinkering with designs for stuff like this. If you truly love metal work it is the best stress relief in the world.

Thanks brother! No kidding! I may have to call you up for some pointers when I build the roll cage in my Camaro and my Duramax. I originally looked up just buying them some, but you wouldn't believe what some people charge for these things. I just finished making/installing a 36 gallon fuel cell where my spare tire used to be in the truck. Fun project but the fill neck routing and the level sender were a pain. Still have to replace the current level sender as it's the wrong voltage. Woops.
IMG_20131019_160741_474_zps199dd3e3.jpg

16 gauge metal for the tank? Also you need some rubber on those tank straps to prevent the straps fretting into the tank. Did you put any baffles in there to prevent slosh? I have done fuel cells from .100" aluminum and put baffles spaced up off the tank floor about 1/2". Be glad to help out on roll cage info when you get ready.Just shoot me a pm when your ready and i'll send my cell#. Been building chassis since 1982.

The tank itself is 1/8" 6061 Al, and there is actually 1/4" rubber on the inner side of the straps added after this mock up. Wouldn't want those puppies eating through the tank! The whole thing is baffled. The baffles aren't spaced off the floor but there are several notches cut out of the bottom of each baffle to help fuel flow through with a sump at the front. 36 gallons of anything sloshing around is bad news. Especially on the back end of a truck where there typically isn't as much weight (for racing/DD purposes). I thought about adding foam instead or in addition to the baffles, but it turned into quite the hassle. Probably going to wind up adding a rear sway bar to it though.
I'll definitely get in contact with you once I'm ready to build the cages. Thanks again! I'm looking forward to it!

James

Well the original plan was to race it, but I'm just having fun with the extra power and ground clearance. Besides...its scares hippies. :D