• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Home made ways to take off a Remmy barrel?

JRose

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2007
Back in BHam!!!
I have a barreled action that I need to take the barrel off of. What kinda home made ways can I achieve this to avoid having to send the barreld action off to a smith?

Re: Home made ways to take off a Remmy barrel?

Hey JRose you better to it right
whistle.gif

you dont need that remington action any way send it to me.

You have a savage that I kick myself for all the time.

definitly need an action wrench to keep from torquing the action, And a propane torch makes it a little easier....
And A friend to hold that torch and burn all the hair off your arm when it breaks loose
smile.gif

yeah, it is way better to use the proper tools if you want to keep either the barrel or action Hahaha. If you can't get it done reasonably, you can send it to me, and I will pop it off and send it back.. you would only have to pay shipping both ways...

DD

Really don't need to fuck the barrel up, there just is no gunsmiths anywhere close by that can pop it off, and I detest shipping firearms...

FS, that Savage is junk... I did you a favor.
grin.gif

Thats Just like a Damn Fireman, Go and tear some shit up!
I've been guilty of using a Garand reciver wrench, and CMP barrel vise.
I wasn't gonna use the barrel anyway. I wrapped the action in Leather Vise pads.
What the hell... It worked

Dammit Sgt Henry... Quit shitting in my threads, your latent desires for being a Fireman have been exposed. Don't you have a jay walker to harass???

And hook me up with that smear!!
grin.gif

Like I'd trust a cop around me with a destructive instrument in their hands...

The barrel and action are heat treated, I'd be careful about messing that up if I was using a torch. A new action will cost you $350 if you find a decent used one for sale, the action wrench and barrel vice will cost $175 or so. I'd buy the right tools.

I once bought the action wrench and barrel vice that are referenced above on ebay. I broke a grade 8 bolt in the barrel vice, replaced it and then popped the threads out of the vice. It was on a particularly stubborn Remmy 700. I emailed the seller and he replaced the barrel vice, no questions asked. He didn't even ask for my receipt. Good guy.

Wait! I've got an idea (hold my beer)
We could weld some angle iron crossways on the barrel and use it for handles to twist it off......

Just a thought
grin.gif

JRose, I would get a normal table vice (secured with bolts to a strong table) and using a vernier caliper measure a section of the barrel as close to the reciever as possible that has little or no taper, when you get the measurement try and get a carpenters drill bit to match the measured diameter as closely as you can. Get a square lump of hardwood that will fit between the jaws of the vice and saw it down the middle as neatly as you can, put the two halves with the split vertical into the vice and tighten it up good, then drill a hole though the wood with the correct diameter drill bit right down through the split so afterwards you have two halves with the half contour of the barrel diameter in each.
With the muzzle down, saturate the inside of the front of the reciever with Croil or some other penetrating oil, leave the barreled action overnight and in the morning dry off any excess oil and degrease the whole thing - this is important, put your two wooden halves on the barrel and into the vice, tighten it up good and get a piece of 4x2 or some timber that you can put into the ejection way or magazine slot in the action (for leverage - using the law of the lever will make things easier) and applying a <span style="font-weight: bold">little</span> heat with a hand held gas burner pull on the "lever" obviously in the loose direction, you wouldnt believe how many people pull in the tight direction! dont swing out of the thing just apply firm but constant pressure and the reciever will come free, i have done this a couple of times and it works pretty good, doesn't mark the barrel much either.
Hope i was of some help!

actually, it sounds more like a fast way to bend your action rails.
buy the correct vises JRose. it saves money in the long run.

jr81452 i understand where your coming from, but with obvious due care this is a cinch, obviously the man can get the proper barrel vice and all associated tools but the thread is "home made ways" so i limited my experience as an Armourer to specific home made ways, i myself always use a custom made collar for each rifle i have re-barreled - turned on a lathe to fit the barrel giving even pressure on holding it, i do the same on the contour of the reciever.
Thanks teambarlar.

Guys, a buddy is letting me borrow his vice and wrench. Thanks for all the suggestions. I found one I'll buy in the future, but money is kinda tight right now, so I'm having to take it back to college days of living for a little while...
grin.gif