• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Home prepping; generator

BAMAboy18

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2020
In my ever ongoing quest to "be prepared" I'm looking at buying a new generator that can be run with a gasifier. I have a diy retort kiln to make char-wood (lump charcoal) I use in my big green egg, it lights easy and produces less ash. I've made several rocket stoves. I have 6 acres covered in virgin hardwood. I'm just trying to decide if I need a large inverter generator over a conventional one. My largest need would be to power my deep well pump, 220v 30a. If I could power my welder (Hobart handler 175) that would be a bonus. Eventually a battery bank/inverter, charged by both wind and solar would be nice for fridge/freezer rotation and lights in the home. I'm asking for suggestions on what others have, or are doing. I'm a poor, but rich with resources and pretty crafty. I'm frugal, but will spend on best value for my money. Kinda got my eye on this; https://www.harborfreight.com/elect...enerator-with-co-secure-technology-57480.html
Opinions please...

In my ever ongoing quest to "be prepared" I'm looking at buying a new generator that can be run with a gasifier. I have a diy retort kiln to make char-wood (lump charcoal) I use in my big green egg, it lights easy and produces less ash. I've made several rocket stoves. I have 6 acres covered in virgin hardwood. I'm just trying to decide if I need a large inverter generator over a conventional one. My largest need would be to power my deep well pump, 220v 30a. If I could power my welder (Hobart handler 175) that would be a bonus. Eventually a battery bank/inverter, charged by both wind and solar would be nice for fridge/freezer rotation and lights in the home. I'm asking for suggestions on what others have, or are doing. I'm a poor, but rich with resources and pretty crafty. I'm frugal, but will spend on best value for my money. Kinda got my eye on this; https://www.harborfreight.com/elect...enerator-with-co-secure-technology-57480.html
Opinions please...
Look for a Diesel military generator 5k or 10k. They are underrated power wise and can handle a couple of extra 2k or 3k spikes no problem. Make sure you size it properly. You want to run diesel generators around 80% load to avoid wet stacking. If you have wood heat I would buy a 5k, they are cheaper and easier to find. MEP802a is the newer 5k and is quieter. The MEP002a is the older less electronics old school diesel engine. They are cheaper but parts might be a little bit harder to find. If you buy one get a spare parts stash for everything you think you might need. Parts will be more expensive and harder to find down the road. Another plus on diesel fuel is that it can be stored for a few years. Another plus about the military generators are they are pure sign wave so they won’t damage your electronics.

Research on military generators can be done here: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/forums/generators.55/

Attachments

• 96F89F87-C8E8-422B-ABBE-F86B67AF9999.jpeg
    96F89F87-C8E8-422B-ABBE-F86B67AF9999.jpeg
    448 KB · Views: 58
  • 17E22072-E252-4F17-BDE0-264EC3B1FB5F.jpeg
    17E22072-E252-4F17-BDE0-264EC3B1FB5F.jpeg
    469.3 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Look for a Diesel military generator 5k or 10k. They are underrated power wise and can handle a couple of extra 2k or 3k spikes no problem. Make sure you size it properly. If you have wood heat I would buy a 5k. They are cheaper and easier to find. MEP802a is the newer 5k and is quieter. The MEP002a is the older less electronics old school Diesel engine. They are cheaper but parts might be a little but harder to find. If you buy one get a spare parts stash for everything you think you might need. Parts will be more expensive and harder to find down the road.
That's my holy grail! 🤩
Oh fb? Yuck! I might have to cave in though, Craigslist has just become so passé...

Last edited:
Reactions: Ison
That's my holy grail! 🤩
Oh fb? Yuck! I might have to cave in though, Craigslist has just become so passé...
Since you have that deep well pump I would highly recommend getting one. They will handle the well pump and solve that problem for you also.

Inverter generators are meant more for modern electronics , smart phones' tablets , tvs .
You need to ask yourself how much of these items will you will be using in that situation.
If things are bad enough to break out a gasifier , will you really be using items that require a " invertor generator " . However they do have the upside of being paralleled with another invertor generator which boost the output .

I would suggest either 1 gen with Spare parts or 2 generators
2 smaller gens would be my choice that can be parallel together to double the power
2 is 1 and 1 is none !

Upside to having 2 smaller gens that can be parralled toghether is you can run 1 until you need the extra power and then fire the second

I don't know what hp your well pump is ,but mine is 240v 1 1/2 hp and only needs about 2000w to start and about 1000w continous.
I would feel safe saying a 3500 w peak generator would power your well with no problem
Your welder is a whole nother animal . It takes a pretty good size gen to run any welder without bogging it down.

Inverter generators are meant more for modern electronics , smart phones' tablets , tvs .
You need to ask yourself how much of these items will you will be using in that situation.
If things are bad enough to break out a gasifier , will you really be using items that require a " invertor generator " . However they do have the upside of being paralleled with another invertor generator which boost the output .

2 smaller gens would be my choice that can be parallel together to double the power
2 is 1 and 1 is none !

Upside to having 2 smaller gens that can be parralled toghether is you can run 1 until you need the extra power and then fire the second

I don't know what hp your well pump is ,but mine is 240v 1 1/2 hp and only needs about 2000w to start and about 1000w continous.
I would feel safe saying a 3500 w peak generator would power your well with no problem
Your welder is a whole nother animal . It takes a pretty good size gen to run any welder without bogging it down.
And consider a dual fuel over diesel. Gasoline and diesel can only be stored for a short time with out turning to varnish. With LP you can bury a pair of 500 gallon tanks and keep one always full. LP never spoils..

I bought a small one at Sam;s Club for about $350 that will power the fridge, freezer, lights pilot for the stove and a few lights. Very portable.

2 is 1 and 1 is none !

Another option is just buy a gas powered welder and use it as a generator!
I'm not even sure what well pump I have, it was run off a 10g UF wire connected straight into the 200a main. 😨 I know, was like that when I moved here. I already have a panel to install in my garage and rewire a lot of things. Need to measure my pump amp draw to know for sure. I plan to run a 50a sub panel to my pump house, need extra for our greenhouse that's next to it.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
100+ mil surplus generators are sold every week on https://www.govplanet.com. Many almost new but you might be unpleasantly surprised by how much they're going for.
I watch those sometimes, keep hoping some will pop up from Ft. Rucker, or at least close enough for a 1 day round trip from LA (Lower Alabama) Eglin, Benning etc.

Closest you're gonna get is Albany, GA. I believe the old DRMO has been privatized and all runs through GovPlanet now. Haven't seen anything available at Benning/Rucker in years.

Reactions: BAMAboy18
Personally I'd rather just get a good tractor 3pt generator and hook it to my old diesel tractor than deal with another engine that gets started once a year.

Or maybe a miller bobcat or trailblazer welder/generator.

That plus a little Honda is the way to go.

Realistically you're going to have to store a lot of fuel if you want to run big KW for an extended amount of time. That fuel is perishable, hence practicality of going the tractor route.

I'd look out for an old Perkins diesel Massey 135/150/165. They run forever with zero wires and can be acquired for under 5k.

Closest you're gonna get is Albany, GA. I believe the old DRMO has been privatized and all runs through GovPlanet now. Haven't seen anything available at Benning/Rucker in years.
Albany is only like 3 hours!

I ordered (from Amazon) a gasoline Westinghouse 9500 watt (running, 12.5 start) for about $950. You can get one that is dual fuel (propane or natural gas) Model WGen9500

I installed a Generator interlock kit ($50) on my panel in conjunction with a 50amp 240 plug on the outside patio wall.

It took about a day to get it all setup (about $1500 total including wiring and a 25' 50a power cord)
Nice thing is it will power any circuit in the home, so well pump, freezers, sump pump, furnace, lighting.
of course, it's gas, so you need to keep some on hand. It's also manual, so I need to roll it out, and plug it in - then flip the switch on the panel.

There was an interesting twist.

Amazon had the lowest price and free delivery, which was good as it weighs 210#. Bad part was when they delivered it, they banged up a corner of the motor housing that covers the recoil spring.

I called and asked for a refund/replacement - no problem.

They said new one will be out in two days. I asked if they would pick this one up at the same time and they said:

"No returns on gas powered equipment, keep it if you like, or donate it".
I spent 30 minutes fixing the original. So now I have two.

Opinions please...
Diesel generator as mentioned but a large storage tank is worth its weigh in gold, our ranch was in a fire zone, large ag well dependent on 440v, so we built a 35K gallon concrete storage tank that fed the structures and also had a 2" line for fire hoses with gas driven pump. We topped the tank on Sunday elec. rates. Large tank on the highpoint of the property and let gravity to the work or consider a pond.

Two Honda EU2000I with pairing setup. That's what I have anyway. I want my generator to continue to run without a need to fix it because repair parts may be extremely difficult to find. The Honda gives you the best chance at reliability. Albeit at a cost $$$. You can get a propane conversion kit as well. There's other reasons mentioned above for a pair that can be combined vs. one large unit.

Since I already had a bunch of the Ego Batteries for my Ego Tools I bought an Ego Nexus Power Station last year/storm season. After the Derecho wiped out power around here for weeks I figured out we better get better able to keep lights/fridges/furnaces running for days if needed.

My first test was to set the thing on my kitchen floor and run cords to essential stuff with 4 fully charged 7.5 Ah batteries. It ran my whole house for 12 hours 7 pm to 7am!! then I grabbed the batteries and recharged them in 2 hours (I have two Ego Rapid Chargers) while the Generac gas powered generator ran the house and powered the chargers. That my Plan for power - run the Inverter on Batteries all night indoors where it can't be stolen and recharge it/run the house on gas during the day. I solar charge the Nexus Batteries as well but it takes a lot longer than 2 hours.

Luckily I live in a 800 sq. foot house and our energy needs are minimal. Plus I can toss both of these inverters/generators in the car and haul ass....even my Wife can load them up.

VooDoo

I ordered (from Amazon) a gasoline Westinghouse 9500 watt (running, 12.5 start) for about $950. You can get one that is dual fuel (propane or natural gas) Model WGen9500

I installed a Generator interlock kit ($50) on my panel in conjunction with a 50amp 240 plug on the outside patio wall.

It took about a day to get it all setup (about $1500 total including wiring and a 25' 50a power cord)
Nice thing is it will power any circuit in the home, so well pump, freezers, sump pump, furnace, lighting.
of course, it's gas, so you need to keep some on hand. It's also manual, so I need to roll it out, and plug it in - then flip the switch on the panel.

There was an interesting twist.

Amazon had the lowest price and free delivery, which was good as it weighs 210#. Bad part was when they delivered it, they banged up a corner of the motor housing that covers the recoil spring.

I called and asked for a refund/replacement - no problem.

They said new one will be out in two days. I asked if they would pick this one up at the same time and they said:

"No returns on gas powered equipment, keep it if you like, or donate it".
I spent 30 minutes fixing the original. So now I have two.
I bought the same one in dual fuel. Relative to the other options presented, it's too good of a deal to pass up.

Geez, I wish they would have dented mine........

Paid $999.98 for it in January. Watch for sales, the prices have been variable.

Last edited:
Following. I have 2 gen now, both are older but work well, but noisy. My third is a honda 2000 but if you store it and dont drain the bowl it will crust up the carb. Non ethanol fuel is the way to go, but you pay for it.

Bought a Wen inverter a few years ago.
If you put it in 'eco' mode it's super quiet and you can have a normal conversation right next to it and not be bothered by it.
20 foot away any you can't even hear it.
Everyone should have some sort of generator on hand.
Tried solar a while back, too much hassle, as strange as that sounds....damn batteries.

Reactions: NoDopes
Following. I have 2 gen now, both are older but work well, but noisy. My third is a honda 2000 but if you store it and dont drain the bowl it will crust up the carb. Non ethanol fuel is the way to go, but you pay for it.
Fortunately I have non ethanol available near me for about the same price as premium. It's all I use, and store, for my generators, lawnmower, etc. It will store for a very long time. I also will add Sta-Bil as well. In addition, I exercise all gas motors to move fuel in the carb/system and just run the engine. Just part of the costs of ownership.

Reactions: Jgunner
Bought a Wen inverter a few years ago.
If you put it in 'eco' mode it's super quiet and you can have a normal conversation right next to it and not be bothered by it.
20 foot away any you can't even hear it.
Everyone should have some sort of generator on hand.
Tried solar a while back, too much hassle, as strange as that sounds....damn batteries.
Lithium batteries are pretty user friendly - other than the initial cost.

I build diesel generators for a living - and have Honda gasoline generators for backup to my bigger diesel gensets.
I have solar also, but it's just for a backup to the backup.

An EMP and all bets are off.

Lithium batteries are pretty user friendly - other than the initial cost.

I build diesel generators for a living - and have Honda gasoline generators for backup to my bigger diesel gensets.
I have solar also, but it's just for a backup to the backup.

An EMP and all bets are off.
True. But, we're all in that same boat for a myriad of reasons. :oops:

I look at it this way; If the Grid is out and my generator won't run, my stash of Top Ramen and Dinty Moore isn't going to spoil. I might have to eat them cold, but if I were starving, I'd find a way.......

True. But, we're all in that same boat for a myriad of reasons. :oops:

I look at it this way; If the Grid is out and my generator won't run, my stash of Top Ramen and Dinty Moore isn't going to spoil. I might have to eat them cold, but if I were starving, I'd find a way.......
I'm going to build me a solar oven.....

• Haha
Reactions: Threadcutter308
I just saw on Amazon that today's deal of the day is a 10kw portable generator for under $1k
Might be something to look at if someones in the market.

BTW, if you need to heat something.....is a campfire too far out of reason (why has it taken so long for someone to say that?).

I bought the same one in dual fuel. Relative to the other options presented, it's too good of a deal to pass up.

Geez, I wish they would have dented mine........

Paid $999.98 for it in January. Watch for sales, the prices have been variable.

I have the same Westinghouse generator (non dual fuel). I also purchased an aftermarket tri-fuel conversion kit since I have nat gas line to the house and outdoor gas grill. It should run my house fairly well. Mine was delivered damaged, but Amazon wanted it returned. Wish I could have kept it...

I have the same Westinghouse generator (non dual fuel). I also purchased an aftermarket tri-fuel conversion kit since I have nat gas line to the house and outdoor gas grill. It should run my house fairly well. Mine was delivered damaged, but Amazon wanted it returned. Wish I could have kept it...
I have an Onan 6kW gen that I bought in '95 for another property. It's worked flawlessly since new. Paid about $1,500.00 for it back then. The only other choices back then were the $350.00 Home Depot/Lowes/Costco specials. The ones that if they failed, you took them right back for a refund or replacement. OK, but when I really, really need it to work, R/R is not attractive.

At about $1K or so, this Westinghouse packs a lot of features into a compact package and looks to be good enough quality that it's not going to kack when you need it most. The other thing with most generator applications (mine included) is that the need for them is very infrequent, at best. Hence, the amount of wear and tear on them will be minimal, particularly if treated well and given a little maintenance once in a while. I think in bad years, I may have had the Onan running/powering the house about 4 different times over the course of one winter. The longest would have been 5'ish days straight, but we'd shut it off before going to bed and fire it back up first thing in the morning. Our storms here (Western warshington) don't ever get to ridiculously low temperatures.

Reactions: stevieb92
Interlock switch info. (simpler than it sounds)

My friend had a larger Generac natural gas with automatic transfer switch installed (about 2 yrs ago). Since a generator in the 10-15kw range might not be able to power everything on a whole house, the ATS usually has a "load shedding module" that cuts off items like convection ovens, the AC, etc. Theirs decided to fail (wasn't even a power outage) and those devices shut off.

We've not had an outage in five years, but I wanted something better than the three 4-5KW portables that I use around the place like at my range where I pour a lot of concrete. I also don't want to deal with running extension cords or powering hardwired devices like my furnace. Hence the Westinghouse. and the interlock switch.

If you look at your main panel, you'll see it's fed by a 200amp (or 150, etc) main breaker. To power your panel/house off a portable generator, you need an $50 exterior outlet, and from that some 6 gauge wiring to the panel. You'll install a 40/50 amp breaker in the top right (typical) spot in the box (the other end goes to the exterior outlet).

The interlock switch is just a mechanical lockout that will allow the main breaker OR the 50 amp breaker to be on. Not both. So essentially the panel is safely backfed from your patio outlet. There are no electronics to fail, or new sub-panels to install.

It's much like wiring in a new circuit, just involves heavier wire, possibly some conduit, and drilling through masonry walls.

I am not an electrician, but have pulled permits as a homeowner for house rewires/panels - this task is fairly easy if you have access.

I have an OLD ass motorhome about to rot, a wild cat had kittens in it and my rottweilers literally tore the side off it to get them. I drug it home for the drive train (rat rod project)
There is an Onan genset in it, but they welded the hitch under it with one small access door. Need to go ahead and strip it down so I can check it out. I'm liking the idea of 2 smaller inverter generators. And pretty sure gas powered, I will build a gasifier, pretty sure I have just about all the materials on hand.
I'm telling you guys wanting hot noodles, a rocket stove will boil water in a few minutes with a handful of twigs. My son camps a lot and loves the one I made him, he stopped using his Coleman camp stove. Can be makeshift with a few cinder blocks.

I have an Onan 6kW gen that I bought in '95 for another property. It's worked flawlessly since new. Paid about $1,500.00 for it back then. The only other choices back then were the $350.00 Home Depot/Lowes/Costco specials. The ones that if they failed, you took them right back for a refund or replacement. OK, but when I really, really need it to work, R/R is not attractive.

At about $1K or so, this Westinghouse packs a lot of features into a compact package and looks to be good enough quality that it's not going to kack when you need it most. The other thing with most generator applications (mine included) is that the need for them is very infrequent, at best. Hence, the amount of wear and tear on them will be minimal, particularly if treated well and given a little maintenance once in a while. I think in bad years, I may have had the Onan running/powering the house about 4 different times over the course of one winter. The longest would have been 5'ish days straight, but we'd shut it off before going to bed and fire it back up first thing in the morning. Our storms here (Western warshington) don't ever get to ridiculously low temperatures.
Those Onans are pretty decent and rugged if maintained well. I've got a P218g in my JD 318 tractor. It's still running strong for a 1987 model. I agree with your assessment of the Westinghouse generator, I hope I don't have to use it much. My power goes out about once a month, but typically is restored within a few hours. One of these times, it won't be...

Reactions: Threadcutter308
I just saw on Amazon that today's deal of the day is a 10kw portable generator for under $1k
Might be something to look at if someones in the market.

BTW, if you need to heat something.....is a campfire too far out of reason (why has it taken so long for someone to say that?).
Open fires in this town will get you arrested. If it hits the fan, the last thing I need is Heat fucking with me because I built a campfire to heat up /cook food or get warm when it's -10F. The Ego Inverter I have runs the microwave and furnace and never missed a lick.

VooDoo

Id assume in a bad situation nothing draws in the crowds more than the comforting sound of a generator and the warm glow of the only lights on within miles.

Reactions: AMGtuned
Id assume in a bad situation nothing draws in the crowds more than the comforting sound of a generator and the warm glow of the only lights on within miles.
I have heard of people stealing gens that were running at night by cranking up a cheap lawn mower to replace the sound, then stealing the gen. That would only work obviously if the victims had pretty much all there lights off and were sound a sleep.

Gotta have a budget in mind…. “Lincoln” welder / generator combos can be found “cheap” sold my LP model years ago, wish I hadn’t

If you have oil for heat, I’d for sure go with a diesel mil converted unit, share the same fuel source

Well, I'll be damned!
These newer generators are much harder to work on and require special diagnostic equipment I believe. I would do my research before I purchased one. The military still has a bunch of the old generators and the units don’t want to get rid of them from what I hear. That says something.....

You can tell what a generator was designed to do by looking at the fuel system. Most civilian units are designed to be ran for a few hours before they’re out of fuel. A military generator can be hooked up to a fuel farm and run 24/7 365. That is exactly what they do with them in the sand box. They run them month after month and stop them to do oil / filter changes. I like knowing my generator can do that if it needs to and doesn’t have plastic bearings and components.

The attached picture was a comment by one of the experts over on steel soldiers talking about his experience with them.

I’m going to be buying a wood burning cook stove and a battery bank setup for my cabin I’m building soon. Then I will only need to run my diesel generator to charge my battery bank.

Attachments

• 59623AB5-8F03-4B22-897F-AC6695C21D33.jpeg
    59623AB5-8F03-4B22-897F-AC6695C21D33.jpeg
    139.7 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
I have heard of people stealing gens that were running at night by cranking up a cheap lawn mower to replace the sound, then stealing the gen. That would only work obviously if the victims had pretty much all there lights off and were sound a sleep.

Was just thinking more from a perspective of people in locations where these solutions aren't feasible.