• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Home required inventory by town?

greg1147

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Sep 12, 2017
    Virginia
    Friend of mine has a family owned vacation cabin that doesn't get used by anyone except family. She recently received a noticed of a requirement by the town that it wanted a complete inventory of all personal items. Furniture, kitchen appliances, dishes, etc. After hearing this I suggested to zero everything on the list or don't respond. Sound like the town is overstepping. Feedback is helpful.

Last edited:
    So it’s not listed with the city as a commercial rental property? If it’s privately owned and not used for commercial purposes, I’d tell them to pound sand.

Reactions: HeavyAssault
    I'll bet some greedy tax collector is trying to up their take since they murdered all the small business in the town to make Amazon and Walmart richer, so now they are trying to squeeze the homeowners.

Most states don't allow the filthy tax collectors and tax appraisers to do anything like that to your home.

Your business however.... even in Texas some counties are getting greedy and wanting to tax display cases and tables and desks at the business as property, trying to make up for their vile actions over 2020 which hurt their own pocket books.

Maybe one day we can get enough of the people to wake up and realize property taxes of any kind are immoral and should be illegal and anyone suggesting them should be run out of office immediately.

So it’s not listed with the city as a commercial rental property? If it’s privately owned and not used for commercial purposes, I’d tell them to pound sand.
    No rentals, shared by family year round.

Yep, sounds to me like "property tax" and how many idiots are going to willfully fill out as much as they can on those forms, because 'the government requires it".

BULLSHIT.

This is all so that you voluntarily tell them what ya'll have, so they can estimate the value (in their eyes) of the property worth, and charge you accordingly for the luxury of you enjoying what you've already built and purchased. This way, you can keep paying for it again and again, year after year....

The only agency that knows what I have in my home/property, is me and my Insurance agent, and he only knows my estimated value of my contents. All others can......F.O.! Mac🤐

I have no idea of the value of my "stuff". If I invite an "official" to come in and tell me the value, would they do that?

If I decided to sell my "stuff" for the assessed value . . . and it did not sell for that amount, would they give me a refund on the taxes I had been paying?

Would they be willing to make up the difference between their assessed value and the selling price by a factor of . . . . ummmm . . . I don't know . . . maybe a factor of 5?

Reactions: Maxwell
    va and wv both have personal property taxes for households (as well as businesses). va goes thru dmv database to figure out what vehicles you own (incl dirt bikes, tractors, sxs, etc you may have titled, hence why i don't do that unless they need to be plated). wv asks you to let them know what you have, although they won't issue license plates/renewals unless they see that pers prop taxes have been paid. as far as dishes, appliances, tv's and the like, i guess i don't have any.

va and wv both have personal property taxes for households (as well as businesses). va goes thru dmv database to figure out what vehicles you own (incl dirt bikes, tractors, sxs, etc you may have titled, hence why i don't do that unless they need to be plated). wv asks you to let them know what you have, although they won't issue license plates/renewals unless they see that pers prop taxes have been paid. as far as dishes, appliances, tv's and the like, i guess i don't have any.
    But like taxing car on public roads and real estate is a bit different than taxing your collection of silverware your dirty underwear and you collection of vintage butt plugs.
    Seems like they want an itemized list

Reactions: Baron23
    I only own a guitar

1613591093081.png

Friend of mine has a family owned vacation cabin that doesn't get used by anyone except family. She recently received a noticed of a requirement by the town that it wanted a complete inventory of all personal items. Furniture, kitchen appliances, dishes, etc. After hearing this I suggested to zero everything on the list or don't respond. Sound like the town is overstepping. Feedback is helpful.
    It should be a short list:

1. Fuck you

The end

And yes, some states have personal property taxes...like Virginia mentioned above....but usually for large items like cars, boats, etc.
    Absolutely NOT your dishes, furniture, etc.
    And, I can't find any reference for NH having a personal property tax. Property tax...as in real estate, yeah....but no personal property tax that I can find.

Last edited:
    Reactions: BLEE and Maxwell

If you want to be nice send it back with a note stapled to it:

"If you show me in writing the state statute that compels me to provide that inventory, I will provide it. If you don't, well then you can fuck right off......XOXO"

Sounds like a personal property tax assessment. Check to see if that's what is being asked for.

Oddly enough I was completely robbed and have nothing.....

They even took the kitchen sink....

my first thought was that they were looking for firearms.

Has to be a liberal state, where is it?

And, I can't find any reference for NH having a personal property tax. Property tax...as in real estate, yeah....but no personal property tax that I can find.
    My experience was about 10 years ago, the 1st year I owned property in NH — after reading your post I’m thinking they abolished the personal property thing — I’m pretty sure it was done by municipality — the town is Warner NH

Living in NJ ,the state giving up tax money is unheard of — My property taxes in NH actually went down when the real estate market crashed, It wasn’t much to begin with but I was shocked when I received a property tax bill that was lower than the previous year

Reactions: Baron23
    The First thing you want to do is tell them to fuck off, but we literally just went through this with our beach house. The county lawyers have fixed this, to raise revenue and it is total bullshit, however, they have it figured out. If you never, NEVER, rent it out, tell them so, and to mind their own fucking business. If you rent it, at all, and they find out, the will tax you for whatever they think they can get away with, down to taxing your silverware. I’m not joking. It is total bullshit, but they have it figured out. You have to play their stupid little game. Be smart, play their game, all the while looking for opportunities to fuck them back. Most importantly, don’t go on social websites like the hide, saying stupid shit, like you are going to screw them back over (not like those commie pussies are hanging out here). Can you tell that this is a sore spot for me. I hope it doesn’t show too bad. 🤬

Reactions: greg1147
    Also, all the posts about taking up their time chatting up a list and stuff won’t work. You are already behind the 8 ball. They will provide YOU a list of things that you have to value. And did I mention that it is total bullshit! And you WILL provide that list, or they will tax you on a percentage of the value of your property, which is a lot more than if you go ahead and itemize. We bought this house in Ocean Isle NC, to rent out and make a couple dollars, but man are we getting nickel and dimed to death. This isn’t about firearms, and really isn’t so much about personal stuff, but they want to know about furniture, fridge, washers and dryers, etc. It is still a huge invasion of privacy as far as I’m concerned, but again, they are generating tax base off us. Screw them every chance you get. Bastards.

You're Hindu and your religious principles require that you practice Aparigraha.

Therefore, you live extremely simply and only own the bare minimum to sustain life.

Right?

Sounds like some bullshit like what they illegally did in Florida in the mid/late 2000s when all the dumb fucking local governments spent/found ways to waste all of the record amount of revenues coming in from real estate taxes and then when the bubble hit they all frantically looked at each other because they were about to go bankrupt. In hopes of bringing real estate valuations back up, they send out 'appraisers' that in not so many words, told you that they'd like a look around your house. A lot of people told them to get fucked, but some people thought it was a requirement and let them in to then get a revised property valuation and a notice of tax due letter.

Don't give them shit.

I own 3 dishes, thats all. You think I have more? Prove it. Otherwise go get fucked, and you'll be trespassed and sued if you come onto my property.

Reactions: acudaowner
    Make a list of the most random worthless junk along with some offensive and erotic items that they need to google find out what it is.

If you need some creative ideas I'm sure we can oblige.

did he send them a photo copy of his bare ass ? that would be my preferred response

Reactions: HMRamateur
    Actually the sorry fucks here in WV will tax you for just about anything they can get on the forms, which they mail to you and if you dont respond, they just show up on your property and look around and hang a tag on your door knob... Hell, im not 100% sure but I think they go as far as to tax for your pets... Taxes are a fucking joke!

You're Hindu and your religious principles require that you practice Aparigraha.

Therefore, you live extremely simply and only own the bare minimum to sustain life.

Right?

Sounds like some bullshit like what they illegally did in Florida in the mid/late 2000s when all the dumb fucking local governments spent/found ways to waste all of the record amount of revenues coming in from real estate taxes and then when the bubble hit they all frantically looked at each other because they were about to go bankrupt. In hopes of bringing real estate valuations back up, they send out 'appraisers' that in not so many words, told you that they'd like a look around your house. A lot of people told them to get fucked, but some people thought it was a requirement and let them in to then get a revised property valuation and a notice of tax due letter.

Don't give them shit.

I own 3 dishes, thats all. You think I have more? Prove it. Otherwise go get fucked, and you'll be trespassed and sued if you come onto my property.

Some counties in FL can raise property taxes (I think) two percent after the market crashes...as many learned in '08. But to make it fair, in good years they can only raise three percent, except for the year of purchase. Hate to see how much more the new owners of my old house will pay.

Tax records are public records. FOIA them for the filings of each of the .GOV employees so you can see the contents of their homes.

Then publish the details in the local news rags or online.

What’s good for the goose... and all that.