• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

homebrew tripod rest?

jasonZ

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2008
independence, kansas 67301
Anybody made a rest that they can attach to a common/basic camera tripod? I was thinking about this and was thinking something really simple like a piece of aluminum channel that I could attach to a camera tripod and then put something inside the channel, you know so it isn't just bare and scratching everything!

I'm open to idea's and just looking at a project, so bash away for not buying hundreds of dollars worth of gear or throw out some ideas to assist. Either way I'm good with it, but I'm really looking at something dirt simple really. Thanks, Jason

Re: homebrew tripod rest?

I've made a few of them the DIY way and they work pretty good, not as good as a commercial solution but it'll get the job done.

When I made mine I used:

PVC Pipe
1/4-20 T-Nut
JB Weld
Sleep Pad
Old section of BDU cloth
Spray Adhesive
Shoe Goo
Krylon camo paint

I also had the appropriate size drill bit and saw for prepping the PVC Pipe.

Basically, cut the PVC pipe into about a 4" section and then cut that in half. Locate the bottom center of the new section and drill the appropriate sized hold for the T-Nut. Insert T-nut and use the JB Weld to secure it in place. Cut sleep pad to appropriate size and first get it to stick with the spray on adhesive. I think I also went around the edges with the shoe goo to help it hold better but it's been a while. After the adhesive has set up, cut the cloth so that it will fit over the sleep pad and glue it down using the spray adhesive. After it's all said and done spray it down with some camo paint and rock on. This is a shortened how to but I think you'll get the idea.

If you use a section of aluminum C-channel you can just tap it directly for 1/4-20 if it's thick enough. You can also sub the sleep pad for the self-adhesive foam sheets you can find at craft stores. The posibilities are endless though, I've even seen make shift ones made from MRE box cardboard and duct tape.

Jason,

You are heading in the right direction. We tried everything from MRE box material to PVC pipes and wood blocks. I built my first aluminum cradle from a block by machining it into a channel shape then padding it with an OD Marine Corps sock, and then covering all that in 90 mph tape. Still have that cradle and use it on occasion. Make sure you use a quality tripod with your cradle.
Let me know if you decide to give our cradles a try we offer military and LE pricing. Good luck

Danel

To echo what Danel is saying, definitely get a good tripod to go with it. Try to stay away from the camera tripods you'll find at most of the big box stores..they're pretty much useless in the field. Find one with legs that can adjust independently to compensate for uneven ground and stuff. The Slik tripods that come with his cradles are great! and definitely worth a look.

I have the tripod, with adjustable everything that never gets used, hence the reason that I'm wanting to put it to use in the field. This freaking tripod even has bubble levels on it so I can make it a perfectly level shot if I desire. Plus I just like doing stuff myself. Never thought about pvc, but its a thought and a good one. I'm thinking aluminum "c" channel and putting some type of padding setup. I planned on just tapping the channel so it could be threaded and then just krylon the entire setup. Thinking mostly for shooting while standing sitting in a longer range situation. It will even strap to my condor bag and not be a hassle to carry around.

I appreciate the alternative info and Daniel I'll definitely holler at ya if I decide to buy something. If I'm buying I'd rather spend my money with hide members than anywhere else. Thanks fellas. I'll try to post some pics as I'm going along with this idea. I've tested my tripod with my gun, no rest, and it should work under the weight. We'll see and at worst I'll have only spent a few dollars all in all. Pretty sure I already got some metal, if its wide enough. I'm gonna check it in the next couple days.

I build my using the PVC pipe method. Works good and it's holding up

I've got a couple of the PRS heads... seems like my guns are in-between sizes
frown.gif

Been thinking about getting a piece of aluminum flat bar stock, and a couple pieces of aluminum angle and drilling some slots so the angle pieces slide to allow some squeeze on a front three-lobe bag like this one:

http://www.protektormodel.com/19.htm

Might be one of my winter projects
wink.gif

That might not be a bad idea. My biggest issue with this is simply how exactly will I cover and pad this thing. I've been thinking of everything from simply putting some adhesive backed foam on it, to some type of padding (or whatever) on it and then having it done in leather or canvas or whatever I want. I'm haven't decided on anything for sure, but I'm gonna get the frame setup and then go from there. If I have enough material I might build more then one and finish em in different ways to see what I like best. I may even try something with the more extended (full rifle or stock cradle) type of design just to see what happens.

Either way, the more I look at em, the more I like the PRS stuff, so this will most likely be a just for fun project!

I made one out of 1 inch steel strap about 8 inches long, and bent it around a 3" OD pipe into a half circle. I drilled and tapped a hole in the bottom on the half circle so it would screw into the bolt in the top of the tripod used to attach a camera. For padding I cut a thick foam koozie and superglued that to the steel. Wrapped the whole thing in camo duct tape and have been using it for a couple of years now. As long as the tripop is solid the rest works great. It doesn't add much weight to the tripod and I keep a little folding stool stapped to it if I need a little elevation behind the tripod.

Not near as nice as some of the ones I've seen that you can order from folks on this site, but it works like a champ.

I saw a buddy had a homemade one the other day just like you are talking about. I was just looking for some c channel last night myself. I am going to use some ISO foam and glue it in the channel.