• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Homemade Dope Card (want you guys opinons)

The_Hoff

Team Swampkatz
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2010
NH, former New Orleans LA
This is a test dope card I threw together for my m885 plinking ammo to try out the design. It was inspired by suasponte's design. I was just wondering what you guys think of it and if you have any suggestions? I plan on designing a reverse side for it eventually as well, I will also laminate it for protection.

data is from JBM ballistics

(edit: the card is rughly 2" by 3")

2010-08-18T04-10-06.jpg

2010-08-18T04-09-48.jpg

Re: Homemade Dope Card (want you guys opinons)

Change the ammo type to M855?

Otherwise, confirm the data on the card at each distance and seal it up.

looks good but in my opinion it is just too busy. i would ditch all the uneeded shit like t.o.f, lead and all the shit at the top. change your drop dope and wind dope to two different colors like red and blue so they are quickly and easily identifiable. keep it simple and tape it to the side of ur buttstock.

Ok as soon as I get home I will change the font color and drop to dope.

I will try too clearup some of the clutter as well. thanks for the imput

Here is my range card for my .308 shooting a 155 Scenar. Enviroment conditions are on the back. Of course one could argue if you're using a red light at night that you can't see the elevation corrections...whatever.
Two different examples:
One card has the corrections so that they match up exactly to the MOA clicks on the turret. No need for thinking when doing the clicks as to which click is closer to your needed correction. The other card is the exact moa number needed for correction from the ballistic program.
As always all cards need to verified at the range.
DSC06357.jpg

DSC06358.jpg

boyz...i got to tell you.....a change in station pressure/location and all bets are off

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">boyz...i got to tell you.....a change in station pressure/location and all bets are off </div></div>

I agree and that's why I carry a Kestrel and a correction difference card for the day that I'm shooting.

It's a white card with distance boxes that are blank that go out to the same yardage as the range card. It's been laminated and that day I take a reading with my Kestrel and look at a differences in drop/drift from my standard range card then mark the correction into the blank box with a grease pencil or a sharpie marker so it won't come off during the course of fire. Then for firing corrections I set my normal corrections from standard range card then look at my corrections card make the minor correction for that day's temp/baro/alt/humidity variations. Seems like a hassle but once you get it down it's no big deal. Actually what happens is you get a constant linear correction change per each distance so it kind of sticks in your mind as to how much correction you should add/subtract. IE - it might be a standard + 3/4 MOA for all changes so easy to remember once you set the standard.

A shooting buddy of mine came up with a program that he wrote about 10 years ago that has you go through all the temp/alt/baro/humidity corrections for your load and it spits out a correction table. It's pretty labor intensive but once you work it all out it gives good info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">boyz...i got to tell you.....a change in station pressure/location and all bets are off </div></div>

If you get the benefit of a sighter then the data is still pretty useful and its pretty easy to correct for the elevation adjustments (IME). I usually just print out a range card for whatever the weather will be that day and call it good. I use www.dop3.com and it matches my real dope almost exactly out to 800yds for 308 and 223, and the card is easy to print out and bring so I don't have to worry about making a new one every time I just print it out.

I am always amazed by the guys who can get 1st round hits out past 500-600yds the large majority of the time, its a fine science, maybe an art, and one that I haven't figured out yet. I'm doing good to be on a 10" steel at 600yds the first shot if the seasons change too rapidly.

I've noticed the biggest change that seems to mess with me is altitude... I live at about 800ft elevation, but if I go to sea level or 1500ft its surprisingly very noticeable even at medium distances. Baro pressure I don't regularly shoot long range enough in varying weather to be able to recognize the differences, its usually around 29.3-29.8 inHg when I'm out.

To the OP: Looks like a good range card, maybe put some useful data in for the Lead column instead of all Zeros? I usually just have a time-of-flight on mine and estimate the lead from that based on the estimated target speed. Of course I barely ever shoot a moving target so I'm not sure how well that would work for movers with any real speed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GRIM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A shooting buddy of mine came up with a program that he wrote about 10 years ago that has you go through all the temp/alt/baro/humidity corrections for your load and it spits out a correction table. It's pretty labor intensive but once you work it all out it gives good info. </div></div>

Hey Grim is that something that we could find off the net or is that something exclusive to you and your buddy? I'd love to get my hands on that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ErikTaylor</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GRIM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A shooting buddy of mine came up with a program that he wrote about 10 years ago that has you go through all the temp/alt/baro/humidity corrections for your load and it spits out a correction table. It's pretty labor intensive but once you work it all out it gives good info. </div></div>

Hey Grim is that something that we could find off the net or is that something exclusive to you and your buddy? I'd love to get my hands on that. </div></div>

Awww hell - I knew this was coming... should have kept my mouth shut. I'd have to clear it with him first as he's got a copywrite on it. Pm me.

from my .22lr, and .22 mag trainers and some .308

ranging, mildot holdovers, temp / seasons, wind correction, etc.

22lrhvavgmildotholdoverJPG.jpg

multixmildotranging.jpg

10xmildotranging.jpg

22magmildot75-200yJPG.jpg

cosinechart.jpg

308windagechartJPG.jpg

308bdcsummerJPG.jpg

22lrturretsandtipsJPG.jpg

22lrbdcchartaguilaammoJPG.jpg

one of each for every caliber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">from my .22lr, and .22 mag trainers and some .308

ranging, mildot holdovers, temp / seasons, wind correction, etc.

22lrhvavgmildotholdoverJPG.jpg

multixmildotranging.jpg

10xmildotranging.jpg

22magmildot75-200yJPG.jpg

cosinechart.jpg

308windagechartJPG.jpg

308bdcsummerJPG.jpg

22lrturretsandtipsJPG.jpg

22lrbdcchartaguilaammoJPG.jpg

one of each for every caliber. </div></div>

good God man!

Wow Top Predator - A man who takes his data seriously !!!

08152010022.jpg

Wouldn't know how to shoot without one! I have one on all my rifles (clear pouch with pertinent dope on a 2x3)

As 'ripper said, all bets are off when DA changes (but if you look close at the one on my rifle, there's what looks like a blank spot-actually thats a graphic from a DTac reticle of how much to add/take off my dope for DA shifts
wink.gif
)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GRIM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow Top Predator - A man who takes his data seriously !!! </div></div>
if your gonna play, gotta play to win. knowledge is leads to success. sprinkle a little skill in there, and you have a winning combination. 2" x 3" isn't bad, the stuff i posted earlier i usually have on a 3" x 5" paper that was laminated and put into a small binder as a data book.

the chicken / pig / turkey / ram is my silhoutte dope, i incorporated into all of my .22 lr cards just in case i switch up rifles from match to match. i have seperate cards also, one for each velocity:
22MKIIFSILHOUETTEDOPEJPG.jpg

mkiifblazersildope.jpg

when the shot calls for a quicker action, you can shrink them down and use clear packing tape to put them on the side of the optic or likewise convienant area for quick viewing....this is just a little over an inch.
22_MAG_DESERT_BOLT_VIEWJPG-1.jpg

HOFF, i just noticed your lead distance is blank, some formulas for you to work with:

LEADING – AVERAGE PERSON WALKS AT 3MPH, “JOGS” AT 6MPH

LEADFORMULA.jpg

so looking at your data for 200 yards:

.22 X 3 mph (walking) = .66 foot lead (or 7.9" lead)

.66 x 12 = 7.92 - 6 = 1.92
200 yards x .035 = 7
1.92 divided by 7 = .27 lead in mils

you can do the math for the rest of your card, the first one is free
laugh.gif

i'd definately go with a 2 sided card, you can pack twice the information in the same amount of space the card takes up. it would be up to shooter preference, but if working with one caliber and load, a drop chart on one side, and wind drift on the other side. i found that to be beneficial in my dope book, and then with index tabs staggered and sticking out a little, makes it easy to find when you have alot of them in there.

Don't fuck around with correction cards, get some DTAC cards from David Tubb or make your own DA cards per Lindy's instructions

I have mine shrunk so small, and then its placed inside my scope cap. Ranges with windage and lead from 100-1200 in 50yd increments.

It works great.

For the purpose of getting hits near enough to correct from, isn't a "dope" card the first step?

Bringing along an Ipod with ballistic software on it wouldn't be a bad idea either?

Not to hijack OP, but I would like to know wether or not I'm going about this bass-ackwards.

Ok great, thats was the plan. Guessing would have wasted a lot of ammo.

Thanks!

I know the KAC program for ipod/iphones are really nice. I can't speak for the other two versions but I have the military version and it's GTG.

i have my dope on the inside of my scope cover, works like a dream. of course its only the most basic of info but it takes up no space and i can almost refer to it without loosing my sight picture. (notice i said almost, ive yet to totaly master that one...)

I run data cards for every 2000 AD. As long as I know what the AD is I can have any card on my gun and adjust. For example I know my 260 at 2950 is 22.8 MOA of elevation at 1k with 4.6 MOA for a 10 at full at 1k and 10.3 and 2.5 at 600 yards with a 7000 AD card If I look at my 9000 card I'm 22.25 and 4.25 at 1k and 10.2 and 2.3 at 600. So we are looking at .5 MOA elevation and .3 windage at 1k per 2000 AD. I've shot matches with ADs starting at 5k and ending at above 10k and shot the whole thing with a 7000AD card. Inside of 500 it's all good and just pay attention to conditions before a stage and know that past 600 you might need 1 less or 1 extra click. I typically dial what ever the card says and hold high or low of center as needed. I do carry a set of cards with me but I've never changed cards during a match. I guess I could but don't seem to need to.

Top Predator, wow. Im surprised you don't have a range card for different lunar cycles and changing tides. UR serious on Data.

For simple ones I just take a picture of my screen on bullet flight, email the picture, resize, print, and laminate.