• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos Homemade Riser

CSI

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2008
SC
This is a wood block mounted to an Eagle pack using velcro. Makes removal for cleaning a snap.

Re: Homemade Riser

How well does it stay put with the pressure from your cheek?

DK

It is pretty well locked into place. No amount of cheek pressure short of bruising myself causes a shift.
The underside of the block is in the same profile as the top of the comb. It also has strips of electrical tape that grip the stock.

Cudos on the idea. I was using a few layers of closed cell foam, and over time the foam was breaking down. I finally opted for the Karsten, but I really missed the leather of the Eagle.

I am currently working on a writeup for the TacOps cheek rest, and it is showing quite a bit of promise. It still falls in the same boat as the Eagle though as far as cheek rest height.

DK

The main thing is that it works FOR YOU and you like it. If it's like mine, I have to pull it every time I clean the bore.

No offense taken on this end. Looks to me like he already has some pretty low rings from the looks of the tube in relation to the mounting rail. I am not sure if he could go very much lower actually. While the rail is a bit thick in the back, it is pretty typical on the setup.

I will personally be putting the HD LOW mount from EGW on my new Precision Carbine once I can get my hands on it. It is specifically designed as a low profile unit. But what he is trying to overcome is really a common situation.

DK

The block started out to be just a proof of concept for me and it worked out really well compared to the alternatives.

The block was cut the same width as the stock. The bottom profile was roughed in by tracing the stocks top profile onto the end of the block. I then made a series of cuts on a small table saw and adjusted the fence for position and blade height for depth to rough out the profile. It was then finished by placing sandpaper over the top of the stock and using it as the sanding form to finish it out. The top profile was made by angling the table saw blade and making two opposing cuts on the top and then sanding the edges to round it over.

The Badger rings that came with the rifle provide about 1/8” of clearance to spare. I felt that since I was still going to need some amount of lift over the bare pack it was just as easy to compensate for it on the riser block rather than replacing the rings as well

might even try hot-knifing out a version in some kind of dense closed cell foam... just an idea... (might want to call the patent office!)

Thanks for sharing this great idea! I also wondered about the movement from side to side after the initial shot and then proceeding to a follow up shot, but it sounds fairly secure with the attachment method that you've opted to use.