• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Homemade SS Parkerizing and Acetone Wash Vat

TXBRASS

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2009
Shiner, TEXAS
Been getting into Cerakoting and wanted to offer parkerizing as well. Really like the ability to Cerakote directly over fresh parkerized steel for extra protection of carbon pieces.

Have a few stainless long pans but wanted a vat to hold long barrels and dip large pieces. Had a larger piece of stainless plate I took and had bent into a channel. Cut end pieces and set the MIG up with SS wire and Argon. Welded the caps into place and some feet. Then drilled a hole in the bottom (hard to do mentally because I achieved no leaks on the first pass welding the caps) and welded in a SS 90degree 1/2" fitting. Just waiting on a SS ball-valve to arrive from EBAY and she will be ready to parkerize or acetone wash.

It's 4' long, 5" wide and about 3.5" deep.

Pretty sweet setup, how are you going to heat the tank? Also I believe you can use a brass ball valve as parkerizing only effects ferrous metals.

It gets plugged from chamber to muzzle --really well-- usually by using a threaded bar, maybe with a nylon sleeve to protect rifling, then using rubber plugs that fit well where the threaded bar passes through with washers and a nut to tighten it all down. Viola, tightly plugged barrel and nothing gets inside.

I guess there's other ways maybe, maybe there's coatings you can use that prevent chemical action. But I know the plug method is old school and it works.

Pretty nice setup you have there. Home Depot didn't have those valves, or you just got 'em cheaper that way? They have all kinds, including stainless around here --if not HD, then another store will. Also, in the future, home brewing stores have things like that because they have to use non-reactive metals with boiling liquids. For $60-$80 or so, they have a stainless valve that take apart for cleaning and repair. Pretty nice, and worth looking into if you ever need another.

Last edited:
Gonna use a three burner propane cooker.

I live in BFE and stainless valves are a ways drive so eBay is my to-to for stuff the local hardware store doesn't carry.

I just cork the barrels with wooden plugs and poly hammer.

The stainless plate I used is 1/8".....should last forever.