• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Homemade stock for savage

fuzzyjoe

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2010
Georgia
www.navsoc.navy.mil
I decided to try and make a stock for my rifle, since the Savage 93FV comes with a plastic stock I decided to make one. The first pic is the stock I started making out of Pine to see how har it would be. Then I started making it out of Walnut. This is it so far..
20110916153119.jpg

20110917104907.jpg

The first sanding is done now i have to sand it with 180 grit.

Re: Homemade stock for savage

I'll be paying close attention to your progress in this thread
smile.gif
Good luck and don't forget to keep us updated!

This is actually my second stock my first one is the pine stock on the first pic but pine was too soft and easily damaged...so i decided to use walnut to see how it would turn out. I also make pens and bottle stoppers and other stuff on the lathe.

Nice work! I love to see people do things like this. Your stock looks to be coming along nicely. What kind of tools are you using to do the shaping?

Man, that does look nice!! You have ALOT more patience than I do for sure...

DK

Let us know how it shot... looking to re-stock mine as well and thought about doing my own. Was the in-letting difficult?

Very difficult! I used the original stock to go by using a drill press and router is hard I had to use small bits and work up to keep from making them too big. After I got that done I started working on the thumbhole, did most of that with a rasp and sanding discs. then I ran into a problem with the original screws to mount it with had to get some longer ones. and if you do decide to make another stock....To get a steele trigger guard dont go to savage..they sent me a plastic one so I used one from an old Marlin stock I had. Anyway I will post the results when done.

Very nice. I nous have liked to see the forend a little rounded as to the straight cut and the same for the cuts in the butt but kudos to you ::thumbsup::