• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Honeybadger ammo

Drewdemon

Online Member
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
Does anyone have recommendations on subsonic ammo? I've used SIG's Elite Performance (220g). When I clean it there's what looks to be brass filings everywhere in the gun. I've only shot bolt guns up until the badger but I'm guessing that can't be normal?

Thanks

How new is the gun, and what does your brass look like after firing? Could be your barrel extension grinding it up if it’s got some rough edges.
What is you intended use for the subs? The purpose will refine your recommendations.

It relatively new, as in I don't shoot it that often, especially during the PRS season. What should I be looking for with the spent shells, just rough edges?

As for use, only shooting subs. My fam has a business in Philly and it's been looted once already with plenty of repeat attempts.

Attachments

• IMG_0325.jpg
    IMG_0325.jpg
    408 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0326.jpg
    IMG_0326.jpg
    351.6 KB · Views: 53
Look for gouges and scratches on the brass. They would be linear and run the length of the shell. My guess is your barrel extension lugs are scratching it up. I would try and cycle a few rounds through without firing, just run the charging handle a few times and let them kick out. Look at your unfired ammo. Does the ogive of your bullet or the brass seem beat or scratched up? If this is the case, you may just need to cycle the rifle more to smooth out the rough edges on the lugs.

What kind of mags are you using? Another problem that can happen with subsonics is they they will bind up in the mag and not feed properly. In PMAGs for example there is a ridge on either side of the mag that’s intended to match up with the shoulder of a 223 cartridge and keep it aligned. Well the bullet ogive of some subsonic ammo will rub against this ridge and cause them to stack funny in the mag. I’ve used some Freedom Munitions 220g HUSH that did this. I’ve had better success stacking the S&B 190g subsonics. They still do it, just not as bad.

Reactions: Drewdemon
It is far more likely that is unburnt powder.... kind of the nature of the beast in 300BK

MWM-5150 I'm using PMAG/OKAY industries mags. I'll have to cycle a bunch of rounds through and see what happens. How many rounds would you estimate to "break in"? Thanks for the info!

bfoosh006 The flakes are gold/brass color. I'll have to break one open and check

That's not brass that's partially burnt powder; the yellow color is a typical characteristic of that. It's not really "unburnt", the powder doesn't look like that before it burns, but it's not completely burnt either.
It's a typical symptom of low powered subsonic ammo.

I second the question about why subs. Too many people are under the mistaken assumption that subs are somehow better, or somehow safer in crowded areas. Both assumptions are wrong; the only thing better about subs is the reduced noise. The likelihood of extreme over-penetration is very high as well, much more so than if you used a good 110-125gr high velocity round.

^^^ And, if the goal is protection from looters, more noise is more better...