• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Honing shotgun chamber

Bringtherain

Private
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2020
Louisiana (LA)
So I bought a beat up single shot 12 guage to turn into a legal sawed off. I was at a gun show in San Antonio and stopped to look at it because I had never seen one that had the lever in front of the trigger guard. I thought it was cool but he had it marked 100 bucks. Little much so I started to move on. He said I'll take 80. I said naw. He said 60? Nope. 40?
I said. Well I have always wanted to make a sawed off! I got it all done and went to shoot it and sure enough it goes bang just fine!!

However it will not eject. It ejects unfired shell just fine! Sends them flying. But shoot it and you have to ram a stick down the muzzle to get the shell out. My theory is that the shell expands into the pitting from the rust. So the question is, can I use something like a brake cylinder hone to smooth out the chamber? Please tell me if this is the most idiotic thing you have ever heard. Or tell me what I should do.

Attachments

• 20211212_193551.jpg
    20211212_193551.jpg
    586.2 KB · Views: 149
  • gearwrench-brake-tools-265d-64_600.jpg
    gearwrench-brake-tools-265d-64_600.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 127
I've never done work like that but I would be inclined to use something designed to hone shotgun chambers.

Did not know that was a thing. Thank you!! Will definitely try that first!!!

Reactions: 308pirate
Take a 12ga wire brush wrap it in steel wool screw it on to a short section of cleaning rod.
Chuck it into a electric drill and run it for a couple minutes in the chamber.
Try this first.
I did that already. Thats my standard go to for old shotguns. Have a dedicated brush and rod rigged for it. Usually works like a champ.

Take a 12ga wire brush wrap it in steel wool screw it on to a short section of cleaning rod.
Chuck it into a electric drill and run it for a couple minutes in the chamber.
Try this first.
^^^^^^ This first.

I use 0000 steel wool to polish chambers that aren't damaged by rust. You may need to use something a little more coarse if the pitting is deep. Take your time, go slow and check often. Cowboy Action Shooter's do this to ease extraction as ejectors are not allowed on side-by-sides.

I've never done work like that but I would be inclined to use something designed to hone shotgun chambers.

THIS X1,000,000

I've use their products for honing revolver chambers and they work great

I would avoid the use of a brake cylinder hone at all costs

Before you do that, pull the ejector/extractor out and make sure there are no burs or anything holding it up. I had an old Savage that did it intermittently because of that. Loaded ammo was fine, and empties most of the time.

So I bought a beat up single shot 12 guage to turn into a legal sawed off. I was at a gun show in San Antonio and stopped to look at it because I had never seen one that had the lever in front of the trigger guard. I thought it was cool but he had it marked 100 bucks. Little much so I started to move on. He said I'll take 80. I said naw. He said 60? Nope. 40?
I said. Well I have always wanted to make a sawed off! I got it all done and went to shoot it and sure enough it goes bang just fine!!

However it will not eject. It ejects unfired shell just fine! Sends them flying. But shoot it and you have to ram a stick down the muzzle to get the shell out. My theory is that the shell expands into the pitting from the rust. So the question is, can I use something like a brake cylinder hone to smooth out the chamber? Please tell me if this is the most idiotic thing you have ever heard. Or tell me what I should do.
Ah, you don’t happen to be shooting budget friendly shotshell w steel bases, by any chance.

Makes extraction difficult depending on the exact ammo.