• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

hoppes copper solvent

gknittel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2007
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Hi,
I would like to know if someone used the Hoppe's BENCH REST Copper Solvent #9 (black label).
What do you think about it?
I use a Dewey coated rod... will this solvent damage my rod? or the coating? or the bronze jags? or the nylon brushes?
Thanks in advance!!

Re: hoppes copper solvent

Forget everything else and use KG -12 big bore cleaner for copper. Wipeout patchout works really good too. I use issoi every so often for my comp guns and every 4 or 5 hundred on my hunting guns for carbon.

All I can get here is hoppes yellow label #9, hoppes black label (solvent cleaner bench rest) and with lots of luck remington cleaner but that will cost about $30..

I use the hoppes copper solvent on my 308 and 220 swift , it has never damaged my bronze jags and i find it cleans out the barrel quite well

Reactions: JohnTheFisherman

It's a nice, mild but effective copper solvent. It will affect anything made of copper, brass, or bronze.

Solvent damage to rods and jags tends to be minor, bronze brushes don't fare so well. Typically, if you flush a bronze brush with rubbing alcohol immediately after exposure to copper solvent, deterioration will be minimal.

Problems with bronze/brass implements and copper solvents are less about damage, more about 'false positive' indications on patches of remaining copper fouling.

Greg

I always used WipeOut and it worked great. Now I switched to PatchOut (same formula and company, different method of application), and I just yesterday got KG-12 to try.
I didn't really like the KG-12 hazard notices written in the label though. Will see how it'll work ...

what are the hazard warnings on kg12?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frogman77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what are the hazard warnings on kg12? </div></div>
Very careful even at skin contacts.

So do you wear gloves when using it? Does it eat away at tissue or is it a carcinogen? I was thinking about trying some, but if it's going to kill me, eh...I'll deal with the copper another way
smile.gif

Hoppes is ok if you have a lot of time, its mild and slow acting. Try Butches Bore shine or Wipeout, then Kroil oil to store the gun. Ive tried every cleaner I could find and have settled on the afore mentioned 1's. Remember to use a bore guide and try not to get any solvent on your stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hummer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A bunch of guys around here use Humpy's White you make yourself:

http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm#Copper

I make this up a quart at a time. Cost is about $1.75. I used Sweets for many years till I found this and made it up. I can tell no difference in Sweets.

He also has some nice articles on Scout Rifle competition on the main page to link to them. </div></div>

For simple nasty cleaning stuff, try Ed's Red. Got a nasty hardly used 60's era NM .45 that hadn't been cleaned (hard to get apart). Dumped it into Ed's Red and worked nicely.

What about Barrett Heavy Bore Cleaner w/ Copsenal? Anyone using this, and how do you like it?

What about Barrett Heavy Bore Cleaner w/ Copsenal? Anyone using this, and how do you like it?

i run MPro 7 Gun Cleaner and nothing else through my Surgeon. i have about 8K rounds down range and have not used copper solvent 1 time or any other cleaner. Wpn continues to shoot 1/4 min.

Bore Tech Carbon Remover or Butches Bore Shine, then Montana's Bore Conditioner works for me...

If you're the type of guy that gets done shooting and puts some solvent in your barrel, and lt's it sit for 2-3 days, Hoppes is one of the safest to use.
If you're like me, wake up some morning, decide to shoot, but need to clean, Montana Extreme 50BMG is what I use, It's quick, but so is Butch's, Sweets, don't know of this k-12 stuff, sounds good also.

Just remember, if you're going to use one of these strong solvents, you need to neutralize it afterwards with Kroil or something, or problms can arise.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milo-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Just remember, if you're going to use one of these strong solvents, you need to neutralize it afterwards with Kroil or something, or problms can arise.</div></div>

not with kg12... another reason why its the best....

I've been using Hoppes Benchrest copper solvent for years...the stuff works just fine.

Its not fast by any means, but it does work and without the worry of damaging your barrel.

I don't use any brushes at all...NONE...When I clean the copper out I just clean the barrel in the usual way with loose wet and tight dry (I'm some of you will find that amusing, LOL) patches with CLP until they get all they're gonna get out of the barrel.

Then I do the same thing with the Hoppes...except after each wet patch I let it soak for a few hours (2-3), when that process has cleaned all it will clean...I soak it overnight (sometimes twice), swab it out good with CLP...and I'm done.

It may take 2-3 days sometimes...but its not bad because its not like you're working at it the whole time, besides...barrels don't need to be deep cleaned all that often anyway (there are exceptions though)

My 30-06 with a clean bore...
2012-05-21_11-26-33_733.jpg

30 shots later...
photobucket-3154-1349794648260.jpg

Shouldn't wet patch a gas gun. You foul the gas system. I've seen this one too many times, especially on 14 types and Garands (I try to avoid the AR platforms).

But the pictures would have been better if you'd let us know the range. 1 1/2 is nice at 200 yards. A friend's Fin M39 loaded with Sierra 175 MK (.311) did just that 3 weeks ago. Out shot a nice new "F" class rifle. Guy that was shooting the groups was 74.