• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Horizontal IWB holster?

Spazz.

Nobody Nothing
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2008
Franklin County, KY
You guys are always more well-informed than I am. I'm somewhat new to this concealed carrying business. Has anyone heard of a horizontal in-waist-band holster? It would be sort of like a small-of-back type holster, only for inside the pants. And worn in front.
My wife is trying to find a holster that would be comfortable for her to carry all day at work and not print in normal work clothes. She's mainly t-shirt and jeans and does building maintenance/janitorial type stuff, so she's bending, kneeling, reaching, climbing, walking, pushing, pulling, stooping, sitting, etc for 8 hours. She's wanting to carry a 1911 and front of pants, horizontal, inside waist band is about the only place that she could conceal that. She's also considering shoulder holsters, but those are easy to find.
So... Anyone ever hear of such an animal?

Re: Horizontal IWB holster?

I'm not aware of any horizontal IWB holsters but maybe you are thinking of smartcarry or thunderwear??? These are pouches you wear over your base layer inside your pants. They are held up by an elastic type band with velcro. This form of carry works ok if you are wearing Dockers type pants and have a smaller gun like a snubby or a mini glock, etc. The gun is positioned vertically in the pouch OVER your privates so thats not even a factor if you wear the pouch correctly. They don't work too well when wearing jeans. Trust me, I've tried it. Look at smartcarry.com and thunderwear.com for more info on the systems. Hope this helps.

Chad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spazz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone ever hear of such an animal? </div></div>Not really; at least not in the way I think you intend because the belt would get in the way.

A 1911, worn in the front, in an active a job, will be difficult. Wearing a shoulder holster while cleaning might be even more difficult - to conceal AND to keep out of the way.

IWB carry is difficult for women due to the small waist and large(er) hips.

She would be better off with a smaller, lighter pistol, and a carry method that matches her physique.

Both inputs appreciated, and we have looked at the Smartcarry. Messing around with the Smartcarry positioning is what led us to consider something like a horizontal iwb for the front.
We were messing around with a Glock 17 and M&P 40c last night, and everywhere the Glock printed the M&P printed as well. Basically what we end up with is anything bigger than a P3AT is going to be difficult to conceal, and the P3AT isn't an option. We're both stumped.

Personally, I think the best option for what you are considering might be a snubby revolver instead of an auto. Get an airweight and be done with it. The 135gr +P .38 Speer GD short barrel is a great load for one of these revolvers.

Chad

Check out Mitch Rosen gunleather, who makes holsters at a 45deg angle for wear on the hip. I think this is the closest you'll come to what you describe, as they do not print when bending over at the waist.

I own one of these, and have been very pleased with the IWB when worn on the hip. I would not suggest trying to wear this in the small of the back (SOB) or the front, especially due to SOB holster's ability to injure the back more easily than others.

Remember the two biggest factors for concealability are width, and grip length of the pistol. You should be fine on the width for a 1911, but the length of a full-size grip isn't the best option. I'd suggest looking at a compact 1911 or a Sig P220 carry model, assuming you've decided to go with the 45.

Either way, I would not want to bend over at the waist with a 1911 in the front of my pants, regardless of its orientation.

Unless your wife is a big girl and most likly even then you might want to down size that handgun. I am a big dude and a full size 1911 and glock 17 are just hard to hide 100% for anyone short of heavy winter coats.

I agree a snuby is pretty easy to carry in a jacket pocket and with some practice most people can shoot one pretty well. As stated due to a females build most are a bit more limited on carry options, small of the back was made for the ladies, girls have hips (thank god) they cant wear a strong side gun in a CCW config.

My girl carries a Glock 19 in a handbag hell she could carry an SBR in that thing! Shes only 5'1" and 100 pounds thats there one carry advantage, having a gear bag with them, its not the best way to carry but at least it beats nothing. I know thats not a option for your girl at work but hey your not working all the time.

When not at work it isn't going to be as big of a deal if it prints some. I will definitely check out Mitch Rosen, thanks Lazlo. No, she definitely can't carry strong side! That thing sticks so far out it's crazy.
Will def. check out the snubbies - she likes the M&P 340 already.

The 340 is a great choice. I've got one of those and a 442 that I rotate out for running quick errands. You've got a variety of choices for holsters if you go the snubnose route. If you want a good pocket holster that won't cost you a fortune I'd look at DeSantis. They make one called the Nemesis and one called the Super Fly. I own and use both. They are really well designed and well made holsters for the money. I'd go with the 135 +P Speer GD Short Bbl for ammo. Win Ranger Bonded is good ammo and so is Hornady's new Critical Defense. Corbon DPX is good too.

Chad

M&P 340 is great but its a handful to say the very least for an experienced good sized shooter! I have the 340pd which is about 1oz lighter and with full house 125gr corbon if the bullet dont killem the fire ball should. I can effectively put all five on paper pretty quick but it takes some getting use to.

I figure if I need to use it my cort defense will include letting the juge shoot one round and then asking him "now you tell me would you shoot that agine if you were not in fear for your life!!!"

I definitely agree full pressure 125's are a handful in .357. That is why I recommended the 135 +P GD SB in .38 spl. Recoil is very manageable despite it being a +P load.

Chad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LRS76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I definitely agree full pressure 125's are a handful in .357. That is why I recommended the 135 +P GD SB in .38 spl. Recoil is very manageable despite it being a +P load.

Chad</div></div>

Big plus one!

I use Winchester Ranger in my 9mm. They seem like good bullets. I don't think she would have any problem with a .357. Seems like with her the bigger the bullet the better she shoots it. Frustrates the ---- out of me when she picks up a gun and outshoots me, but I don't worry about her defending herself with anything we've got in the house.

Has she considered ankle carry. When it comse to full concealment I would bet that a fair time and motion study would demonstrate that retrieving from an ankle holster would not be much slower than retrieving from below a buttoned and belted waist band.

I wear a nail belt in my work so, while I always have my P3AT in my right front pocket, I like a little something extra depending on time of day, location or paranoia! Ankle carry is discrete enough to provide me with defensive options as long as I'm paying attention in the first place. Especially when it is indiscrete to drop a pistol into one of my belt pouches.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have two holsters by these guys and I have been very happy with them. My weapon is held securely and it is very comfortable. I use the SOB and Super Tuck.

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/index.html

STS </div></div>
+1

The comment on the S&W 340 reminded me of a story. I had one for a few months, and a friend made me an offer I decided to take, largely because he was a good friend and I had enough CCW's at the time.

Anyway, we go to the range with the 38's and 357's, and he watches me shoot a cylinder of each ammo. Since he's getting a deal on the pistol, I didn't feel at all bad about loading 4 rounds of 38 and then letting him see me drop one 357 in there before spinning the cylinder and handing it to him.

If I recall, the purity of my birth was called into question before he started shooting, but it made for some good training time with his new weapon. He now shoots 38's only through the pistol.

The combination of a 1911 and an IWB holster is going to limit the angles you're going to be able to use on the holster. For it to ride securely, it's going to have to be closer to vertical. There's also the option of going with a belly band that has an integral holster, but I find those tend to work better with revolvers, especially those with short barrels.

have you looked at kahr arms? I have a cw40 and its about perfect for cc. im looking into the super tuck holster. you might think about a in the waste band holster worn in the small of her back. only time that kind of cary is hard is if your sitting allot. the plus side is with practise you can draw ambidexterously that way.