• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Horizontal stringing/ ladder test

rookie101

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2013
klamath falls oregon
Why isn’t horizontal stringing important in the ladder test, or maybe a better question is “is “barrel whip” always vertical?” And if so, why?

You can influence horizontal dispersion with position and wind holds.
You can adjust to them.

You can’t do anything about horizontal dispersion because of velocity changes/harmonics but chase your tail in frustration.

I include harmonics because in my opinion the best loads place the bullet in the same position vertically even if the charge is a bit high or low.
Maybe it’s not harmonics but it’s definitely desirable.

Last edited:
One of the aspects of shooting a ladder test is to perform it at longer distances. By doing that you can capture when the bullet velocity change from powder charge to the next powder charge is small and also when the barrel movement is at on of its turn-around points, (nodes).

I've been doing quite a lot of ladder testing lately and my rounds tend to go low left with light loads and walk to high right as the powder charge is increased. The same has been true regardless of powder tested.

I have not seen a case where an increase in powder charge reverses this reality, but more high right randomness does occur when loads get really hot.

I have seen where certain powder charges cluster in one place on the target and others do not.

Charges that string, tend to do it along that same low left to high right line, but not necessarily in strict accordance with exact speed.

So bottom line to me is just find a load that clusters, wherever that is and do not ignore left to right in that assessment.

I mean seriously... why would anyone ignore valid data? You cant cherry pick only the information that conforms to some article you read on the internet. Just use common sense.

Reactions: rookie101