• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady 106gr A-tip factory seconds

PRSDietitian

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2023
Texas
I saw powder valley has 106gr tipped bullets on sale. Was told they are 106gr Atips and they're factory seconds because the firsts are for DOD 6 ARC contracts at the moment. Anyone tried these and have any results they could share?

Unlikely, as they don't catalog any 106 grain 6mm bullets.
The a tips are 110.
They would also be considered expanding bullets, a no-no according to the Hague convention.

Unlikely, as they don't catalog any 106 grain 6mm bullets.
The a tips are 110.
They would also be considered expanding bullets, a no-no according to the Hague convention.
I was told they are the same bullets used on the 6mm ARC TAP ammo, which also uses a 106gr bullet but is only sold to LEO/Mil(unless you're a vey with an honorable discharge) A friend sent me this

Attachments

• 363032994_327611152956328_5997874056433389378_n.jpg
    363032994_327611152956328_5997874056433389378_n.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 433
And with them having an alluminum tip vs a standard polymer ballistic tip, i wouldn't think it'd be considered much of an expanding bullet.

Reactions: lash and Tx_Aggie
I was told they are the same bullets used on the 6mm ARC TAP ammo, which also uses a 106gr bullet but is only sold to LEO/Mil(unless you're a vey with an honorable discharge) A friend sent me this

The case of 6mm ARC TAP ammo that I bought had polymer tips.

ETA, I'm still intrigued by these 6mm 106gr A-tips.

The case of 6mm ARC TAP ammo that I bought had polymer tips.
huh fair enough. Still wondering about the box above. Though it would make more sense to use aluminum vs polymer tips of course. Still considering getting a box of 100 and see whats up. On powder valley they are listed as metal tips.

1691457612130.png

huh fair enough. Still wondering about the box above. Though it would make more sense to use aluminum vs polymer tips of course. Still considering getting a box of 100 and see whats up. On powder valley they are listed as metal tips.

View attachment 8199390

I've no doubt they're aluminum tips. My guess is that either the DOD load has changed, or Hornady will soon announce a new 6mm bullet aimed directly at competing with the 105 Hybrid (which is so popular that it is nearly always out of stock).

For what it's worth, the lot of polymer tipped TAP that I had was about 1.5-2 moa ammo when shot out of my 18" Proof barreled AR. The same rifle is reliably 1 moa or less with Hornady 108 match factory ammo. I personally would not be excited at all about 6mm poly tipped TAP bullets, especially factory seconds.

I've no doubt they're aluminum tips. My guess is that either the DOD load has changed, or Hornady will soon announce a new 6mm bullet aimed directly at competing with the 105 Hybrid (which is so popular that it is nearly always out of stock).

For what it's worth, the lot of polymer tipped TAP that I had was about 1.5-2 moa ammo when shot out of my 18" Proof barreled AR. The same rifle is reliably 1 moa or less with Hornady 108 match factory ammo. I personally would not be excited at all about 6mm poly tipped TAP bullets, especially factory seconds.
That’s horrible! Those were factory loaded?

About two years ago I bought some 2nds that were 106 gr TAP, but not called TAP.

They have a plastic almost translucent yellow tip.

Maybe it’s the TAP bullet and they just inserted an aluminum tip instead of plastic🤷🏼‍♂️

View attachment 8199414View attachment 8199415
I remember those.

A guy on the 6 arc fb group got the metal tipped ones so I hope they shoot because the price for 2nds ain’t bad

That’s horrible! Those were factory loaded?

Yeah, purchased from Mile High as a case lot. But it may just have been my rifle. A shooting buddy also bought some at the same time and if memory serves he had a little better luck.

Yeah, purchased from Mile High as a case lot. But it may just have been my rifle. A shooting buddy also bought some at the same time and if memory serves he had a little better luck.
Wonder if it’s a freebore thing

A friend tried 105 hybrids in his but they wouldn’t shoot

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
My buddy has some and ordered more recently. He used to work for a company that makes a lot of firearm accessories for SOCOM (sorry can't say) but they had 10,000 rounds of the 6 ARC A tip DOD ammo on hand for some testing as of last week. They are real deal A-tip rounds. I'll let him play with some load development since our rifles are almost identical and shoot the factory ammo essentially identically. I have a ton of 108 ELDM to get through first.

I love the A-tip in my 308 and 6.5CM. I am just not sure there is much improvement since I can't push them fast enough to really take advantage in the ARC. I could be wrong though.

My buddy has some and ordered more recently. He used to work for a company that makes a lot of firearm accessories for SOCOM (sorry can't say) but they had 10,000 rounds of the 6 ARC A tip DOD ammo on hand for some testing as of last week. They are real deal A-tip rounds. I'll let him play with some load development since our rifles are almost identical and shoot the factory ammo essentially identically. I have a ton of 108 ELDM to get through first.

I love the A-tip in my 308 and 6.5CM. I am just not sure there is much improvement since I can't push them fast enough to really take advantage in the ARC. I could be wrong though.
supposedly they have the same advertised bc as the TAP which is .580. running these in a faster twist ARC barrel at like 2550-2600 would work super well i feel.

The factory 108's shoot well in my 20" Proof barrel. Around .5-.6 MOA typically. They shot great to 1k running about 2650-2670. Much better than the 105's in my rifle. I'm sure the 106 will shoot as well but I already have a full case of 108's to load.

The factory 108's shoot well in my 20" Proof barrel. Around .5-.6 MOA typically. They shot great to 1k running about 2650-2670. Much better than the 105's in my rifle. I'm sure the 106 will shoot as well but I already have a full case of 108's to load.
Like i said above, from what i can tell from the 105 in 6 ARC, they like less jump so a custom freebore is needed.
I plan to try these bullets in my 6x47 because if the .580 is accurate, it'll have around the same drop at 1000 yards going at 3000fps as the 115 DTAC at 2925

I would take that email reply with a grain of salt...the picture posted above is clearly a Hornady box marked Not For Resale..
Also a good point. I'm waiting on my 6x47 barrel from PVA so I won't have a chance to test these for a minute

I've got 500 on the way also for 6ARC & 6GT. First thing I'll do is measure for comparison to 110 A-tips.

My plan is also to analyze these bullets when they arrive before reloading. Are they consistent in weight and base to ogive like my other Hornady A-Tips?..... If so, then off to loading they will go. If not, they arent worth the money. Ill be honest, they better shoot as good as my other A-Tips otherwise they arent worth the money over 105 Hybrids and 107smk which I have shooting stupid small in both Bartlein and Wilson 6BR barrels right now...

My plan is also to analyze these bullets when they arrive before reloading. Are they consistent in weight and base to ogive like my other Hornady A-Tips?..... If so, then off to loading they will go. If not, they arent worth the money. Ill be honest, they better shoot as good as my other A-Tips otherwise they arent worth the money over 105 Hybrids and 107smk which I have shooting stupid small in both Bartlein and Wilson 6BR barrels right now...
That's why i'm looking at these, because bergers are so hard to find. I have some 107 smk and a bunch of 115 DTACs on hand but havent shot them

I'm hoping these work in the ARC gasser. It's suffers in the velocity dept. & can use all the BC help it can get.
I haven't been able to get the 110's to shoot as well as either the 105 or 109 Berger's. Close, but not as close as I'd like.

Like i said above, from what i can tell from the 105 in 6 ARC, they like less jump so a custom freebore is needed.
I plan to try these bullets in my 6x47 because if the .580 is accurate, it'll have around the same drop at 1000 yards going at 3000fps as the 115 DTAC at 2925
The unknown of what classifies them as 2nds is what concerns me.

Weight and dimensions could be consistent but numerous other things could cause them to shoot inconsistently.

For me- Components and time are too expensive to waste on 2nds for anything other than just plinking or breaking in a barrel.

You’ll never know for sure if an accuracy
issue is the bullet, brass, powder gun or you, when shooting 2nds.

Reactions: Gentleman4561
The unknown of what classifies them as 2nds is what concerns me.

Weight and dimensions could be consistent but numerous other things could cause them to shoot inconsistently.

For me- Components and time are too expensive to waste on 2nds for anything other than just plinking or breaking in a barrel.

You’ll never know for sure if an accuracy
issue is the bullet, brass, powder gun or you, when shooting 2nds.

This is only true if you have issues...if they shoot lights out consistently to the max distance your shooting then it's a win win. But I agree, it does require more time and effort to ensure they do or do not have issues.... we shall see

I really want to test these because they don't exist....are these seconds because something is wrong with them?? Or is Hornady trying to unload overruns or something from a .gov contract? Idk but has me intrigued

Last edited:
So I looked on powder Valley again, and they also have 110 grain versions of the same bullets, so that leads me to believe that they are a completely different design

Might as well tag @Ledzep in here. Can you shed any light on this mystery 106 A-Tip/Tap? Or is it just a woops there 4gr light 110?

I was in another thread the other day talking about A-tip seconds. I hope they are good to go. I just worry about WHY they are seconds. Are they inconsistent weights/lengths? I look forward to the report on how they perform. It would be really nice to have a cheaper option for them.

I was in another thread the other day talking about A-tip seconds. I hope they are good to go. I just worry about WHY they are seconds. Are they inconsistent weights/lengths? I look forward to the report on how they perform. It would be really nice to have a cheaper option for them.
I’m hoping may be like factory seconds on brass from places like Peterson. They work the same but may have small visual imperfections that don’t affect performance

I’m hoping may be like factory seconds on brass from places like Peterson. They work the same but may have small visual imperfections that don’t affect performance
“Hope” is seldom a good strategy~

So what exactly is everyone’s plan?

Buy a box to try and hope there’s more available if they shoot good? What if you go back to buy a lot more and you get a garbage lot??

Or buy 5K to start and hope they are lasers?

They are 2nds (for a reason) of a bullet that doesn’t even exist and they cost as much as some “first” decent bullets that are readily available and will continue to be.

These cost at discount what you can get Bergers for.

Ever seen Berger 2nds? Wonder why that is?

Hornady Seconds would be like Berger 5ths.

You can buy 6mm Berger Hybrids for $45-50 a box from a bunch of vendors. They are just called something else.

These cost at discount what you can get Bergers for.

Ever seen Berger 2nds? Wonder why that is?

Hornady Seconds would be like Berger 5ths.

You can buy 6mm Berger Hybrids for $45-50 a box from a bunch of vendors. They are just called something else.
What are they called?