• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady 140 gn ELD-M Ogive Variance

Yogi B

Private
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2020
Simpsonville, SC
Anyone else have trouble getting a consistent seating depth measurement from ELD-M's? I'm relatively new to precision shooting world, currently shooting PRS and do all my own reloads (been reloading for years). I use the Hornady tool to measure my lands, and when I measure using 140 gn ELD-M's I get various depths - example 3 different bullets I get average 2.10, 2.22, 2.36. I don't get this with Bergers or Barnes. So my question is anyone else see this, am I being to picky? I find that in my rifle seating .015 off lands works well - but with these bullets not sure where to seat? Take any advice, comments, etc... Appreciate the feedback!

Have you weighed the bullets and measured them to see if they vary by weight or size? You might just have a bad batch. I use ELDM's iin 147gr (6.5-CM) and 225gr (300-PRC), and get pretty consistent measurements between bullets.

Reactions: BenjaminMartin6.5
I usually dont sorr by weight, but last batch I weighed every bullet (100) just to see tge difference. Varied from 139.4 to 140.7. I thought that was ridiculous and emailed Hornady - no reply. When I just seating depth I usually use 3 different bullets with same ogive measurement. The ones I used mentioned about were all .710. Thats why I confused about results. Im trying to fine tune my reloading to get my SD’s down. Last batch of Berger VLD 140’s my SD was 9.5 seating .015 off lands (Staball 6.5 43.8 gns, Lapua twice fired brass, BR4’s). I only have plenty of Hornady ELD-M’s left, very few Bergers so Im making transition.
Thanks again for feedback.

Are you using hornady seating die? If not, the eld tips might be touching your seating stem.
I use Redding competition dies. But my issue is measuring CBTO w Hornady tool to determine distance to lands. Then I seat .015 off lands. But I cannot get a consistent reading - too much variance in bullets.

I use Redding competition dies. But my issue is measuring CBTO w Hornady tool to determine distance to lands. Then I seat .015 off lands. But I cannot get a consistent reading - too much variance in bullets.
Does it have the ELD tip in it?
Take your die apart and make sure the bullet tip isn't touching the inside of the seating stem.
Should only contact on the ogive area. Take a sharpie and mark the bullet and note where it contacts / rubs the sharpie off the bullet.
You may get a little variance, but not .015" worth.

Last edited:
I have Redding dies, Competition Type -S, and shoot the 140 ELD-Ms for a few years now. I have not run into a variance anywhere near this large so far. I have two thoughts.

First, when you are measuring, are you spinning the case a little to make sure it is square on your caliper jaw, and are you getting the primer seated just a little past flush?

Second, I think they make a replacement "VLD" stem for the seating die, which can help with the pointier bullets. I have had good luck without the stem, but a good friend uses it for Berger bullets with great success.

Anyone else have trouble getting a consistent seating depth measurement from ELD-M's? I'm relatively new to precision shooting world, currently shooting PRS and do all my own reloads (been reloading for years). I use the Hornady tool to measure my lands, and when I measure using 140 gn ELD-M's I get various depths - example 3 different bullets I get average 2.10, 2.22, 2.36. I don't get this with Bergers or Barnes. So my question is anyone else see this, am I being to picky? I find that in my rifle seating .015 off lands works well - but with these bullets not sure where to seat? Take any advice, comments, etc... Appreciate the feedback!

So you are not measuring the bullets themselves but measuring the differences when you use the Hornady tool to get OAL?

And those bullets are very jump insensitive. I shoot them in factory ammo jumping .070" and loaded jumping .020" and they both shoot great.

Reactions: Holliday
Measure tip and base to ogive on a sample of standalone projectiles and see how the batch is in variation. I just sorted 50 smks that way an there was one or two that were anomalous, then a main group and then two over under +/- hi lo groups. But IIRC they were order of magnitude 10 thou ES range not 100 thou. Obviously double check your decimal places, but if you do have .1 inch not .01 variances, at some stage it will matter if its in the front or back of the ogive. Sooner or later BC has to be impacted by such geometry variances.

I remember the days when i used to sweat over stuff like this. Now i just load everything at 0.055" off lands and good to go