• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady 140 Gr ELD 100ct SHORT BY 12

Pink_Mist

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2011
Wisconsin
I purchased a box of 100 at a well known retailer. NEVER OPENED. Reflective label in tact. Cut the bag, and started sorting. My bullet block had 12 empty spots. I could not believe it. I called Hornady and they explained their entire inspection process. 1600 grains shy is huge. One missing bullet can easily be detected in a several thousand count case. Has anyone ever experienced this?

lol They did not seem happy that I called them over 12 bullets. I said send me 12 or 112. Do not send me 100 because you'll throw off my entire world. They said based on their inspection process shortages of 12% underweight is impossible. Made me question eyes and ability to count.

They sent a warranty confirmation for a box of 100. Someone out there has my 12!

Reactions: erslll
Yep, not surprised. This was in my box. I didn't have a big enough mandrel to seat it lol. Not sure if I was shorted or not as I was only loading a few at a time for finding a load at that time.
20200717_134640.jpg

They told me they white glove hand count and the inspector okay’s the quantity to be packaged. - I highly doubt this is how they package. Automated weigh-pack machine scales can be as sensitive as you need and having a human perform this task doesn’t seem feasible due to the high demand of bullets. A person would have caught that HP in your box. I’ll keep buying Hornady, it doesn’t change anything for me. It’s not like there are a ton of choices in the same price range. Have you used Sierra’s 6.5 bullets?

Reactions: Baron23
Telling you that a guy with white gloves counts them is them admitting it could be human error. We all know they use scales, and someone at the scale simply did not give a fuck that day.

Reactions: Josh1978
I think he said what he did to indirectly convey that they do not trust that I was shorted 12 from a sealed box. Who the hell wants only 12 bullets?

The final email;

Xxxx,
I’ll get you an order put in for a new box to cover you on the ones missing. The only thing is I don’t know when you will get them since everything we are making are in such high demand. So, I appreciate your patience.

Thanks again,

Brad

I guess people that haven’t purchased their products take higher priority over covering the ones that already have.

They told me they white glove hand count and the inspector okay’s the quantity to be packaged. - I highly doubt this is how they package. Automated weigh-pack machine scales can be as sensitive as you need and having a human perform this task doesn’t seem feasible due to the high demand of bullets. A person would have caught that HP in your box. I’ll keep buying Hornady, it doesn’t change anything for me. It’s not like there are a ton of choices in the same price range. Have you used Sierra’s 6.5 bullets?
Ive only started reloading in the last year and the 140eldm is the only bullet I have experience with. Before that it was Hornady factory Match 140 ammo. Ive had good luck with both and for the price I will continue to use it. But hearing of some of their other known bullet issues, I did pick up a box of Berger140 hybrids to try, develop a load, and have a backup plan.

I run Berger HB in my 26” LRI. 1600 so far. Nothing short of perfection but at .54$ a piece vs .33$ You have to really really want the consistency of Berger, you’re going to pay for it.

I've just put in order for a 500 ct box of 140's so now I've seen this I'm going to weigh and hand count them all in case 60 went 'missing'. I'm sure their white gloved hand counter would get pretty tired by the end of the day keeping track of such large numbers!

I have 19 other boxes that I weighted without opening to make sure the count was okay. It also happened to be the only box of that lot number in my stash.

Don't feel bad about asking for your 12 bullets. I hounded Brownells for two pieces of Norma 6.5 CM brass that was short. They didn't seem to happy but they sent me two cases. It messed up my system lol!

Remember this is the same Hornady that denies their ELDM bullets have a blow up problem. I have shot over 6000 of them without a problem. However, out of the last 200, I had over 20 "disappear, blow up, disintegrate, separate" or whatever it is that Hornady says cannot happen. I am sure their infallible system denies this too.

I am done with them. Too many good bullets out there.

I've had a few split necks and a 7MM-08 in my 6.5 creed brass. Also a couple of A-max 60 grain bullets with the ballistic tip in backwards. Q.C. always suffers when demand goes crazy.

Remember this is the same Hornady that denies their ELDM bullets have a blow up problem. I have shot over 6000 of them without a problem. However, out of the last 200, I had over 20 "disappear, blow up, disintegrate, separate" or whatever it is that Hornady says cannot happen. I am sure their infallible system denies this too.

I am done with them. Too many good bullets out there.

its interesting you mention this, as of today with a new lot, I had 4 no impact/no idea ELDMs. I mean they ghosted... and this load runs in the .3s

I’ve seen the 147’s blowing up in 6.5CM barrels at 2750fps recently. At the range with my own eyes. It was happening last year at some matches I was at as well. Don’t know the speeds there. It’s very distinct if you know what to listen for. The report has a different sound. There were also quite a few reports of A-tips blowing up at the Nightforce ELR match this year. Not sure what’s going on but it should probably get figured out. I’ve shot a lot of the 140’s and never had a problem.

I got 168 AMax bullets in a bulk pack of 168ELD-M's bought from Midsouth Shooters Supply. Hornady flat denied the possibility of that ever happening. I question if they are selling seconds to places like Midsouth to sell in bulk as new good lots of bullets. There was a definite accuracy difference between those and new 100 round boxes off the shelf at the local sporting goods store.

I've stopped buying Hornady bullets at this point.

• Wow
Reactions: DMP and deersniper
I got 168 AMax bullets in a bulk pack of 168ELD-M's bought from Midsouth Shooters Supply. Hornady flat denied the possibility of that ever happening. I question if they are selling seconds to places like Midsouth to sell in bulk as new good lots of bullets. There was a definite accuracy difference between those and new 100 round boxes off the shelf at the local sporting goods store.

again, interesting, b.c the last bulk pack of ELDMs I got from Midsouth , the business end of some of the boolits had collet markings as if they were pulled.

• Wow
Reactions: Josh1978

Earlier I posted I had shot over 6k of the 147 without a problem. But.....in the last two boxes, over 20 disappeared...poof. no more Hornady.

At more than twice the price for Berger, and twice the price for Sierra's and that's if you can get them as supply is scarce and erratic us plebs down in Australia are pretty limited to Hornady so not much choice. I love the 147's in my M96 Swede and the loads aren't that hot for obvious reasons so I'll probably stick with them for that application but it's very easy to get a sub half MOA load with the 140's so I'll stick with the Hornady's. I have a pet load for my 30-06 with 168 ELD-M's as well but I am going to try the 220gn ELD-X's in my 300 WinMag as they might hold together better than the ELD-M's?? Perhaps QC has suffered with high demand. Perhaps if Hornady is made aware of these issues they might do something about It?

I purchased a box of 100 at a well known retailer. NEVER OPENED. Reflective label in tact. Cut the bag, and started sorting. My bullet block had 12 empty spots. I could not believe it. I called Hornady and they explained their entire inspection process. 1600 grains shy is huge. One missing bullet can easily be detected in a several thousand count case. Has anyone ever experienced this?

I was loading for a match tonight, and had two boxes of 100 - 140 ELD-M that were short twelve bullets. It pissed me off, so I did a search, and this thread came up.

I'm emailing with pictures in the morning. Did you ever hear anything?

I wonder if you guys got the same lot #.

At least they're consistent?

Lot# 2201384

I called Hornady this morning, and they are sending me the missing bullets, and emailing me what the window of shipped weight should be for a box of 100 140 ELD-M should be so I can check the other lot numbers.

Only instance I've ever been glad I couldn't buy all of the same lot number. lol

I have several 100 round boxes of different lot numbers. I personally do not care about lot numbers when it comes to ELDs. They are nice bullets but they are not Berger 140 Hybrids..... I care about Berger lot numbers. I want what I pay for. ELDs are what they are.

I still shoot a lot of hornady bullets as I have a ton of them in stock. Most of my high use bullets are the older design match bullets. I had 2 bullets out of 100 fail with a box of 147 eldm. That being said I’m moving on to other manufacturers. Those 2 failures soured me.

I have several 100 round boxes of different lot numbers. I personally do not care about lot numbers when it comes to ELDs. They are nice bullets but they are not Berger 140 Hybrids..... I care about Berger lot numbers. I want what I pay for. ELDs are what they are.

Bergers are good, but I settled on ELD-M because of the volume of them I shoot practicing and for matches every year. I've never lost points shooting 140s at 2850 fps due to bullet blow up or not shooting a Berger. I try to buy the same lot number in bulk for consistency reasons, just like kegs of powder and primers.

I'm hoping Hornady isn't going the way of Remington, Vortex, etc., by throwing away quality for a little more profit. I know of the issues with 147s, none of my rifles liked them, so we will see with the 140s.

Reactions: deersniper
Since this thread has kinda shifted to bullet brands / Hornady issues, I will add my .02.
I have seen a bunch of Hornady bullets come apart in mid flight, I have also seen the random lack of QC, missing bullets, wrong caliber, damaged, etc.
I will admit to being a Berger fan, but that is because I want expanding bullets for hunting.
For anyone not wanting to pay the $$ for Berger, look at Sierra Match kings and Lapua Scenars. Both are top quality bullets and priced very reasonably.

This is sad to say the least... not a Hornady fan boy or anything but when you like something and shoot something that your “think” is tried and true. It really makes you contemplate Going with other brands that “are” tried and true. I still haven’t had any issues personally but there’s a lot of threads right now all across the internet.

Does anyone remember the 140 Amax problem?
I do, had to send 800 back and they replaced them all.

Bergers are good, but I settled on ELD-M because of the volume of them I shoot practicing and for matches every year. I've never lost points shooting 140s at 2850 fps due to bullet blow up or not shooting a Berger. I try to buy the same lot number in bulk for consistency reasons, just like kegs of powder and primers.

I'm hoping Hornady isn't going the way of Remington, Vortex, etc., by throwing away quality for a little more profit. I know of the issues with 147s, none of my rifles liked them, so we will see with the 140s.
you opened up some worms there.... Quality issues with Vortex... HD or AMG? I excuse all other lines of scopes as purchase options so I do not care about failures in their lower tier lines. What have you heard bad about HD and up??

Reactions: b6graham
I was loading for a match tonight, and had two boxes of 100 - 140 ELD-M that were short twelve bullets. It pissed me off, so I did a search, and this thread came up.

I'm emailing with pictures in the morning. Did you ever hear anything?
I was given a new box of 100.

you must not have seen the scope review put out today hahah

The 140GR Amax accuracy went to shit with defective bullets. Everybody was having the same issues as I did with them.

you must not have seen the scope review put out today hahah

I did, but the Razor Gen 2 is only one scope in their line. It is a great scope, but the rest of the line leaves people bragging about how good the warranty is.

Besides, my brand (NF ATACR 7-35x56) got two different entries for the same scope, so that makes it 100 percent superior. lol

you opened up some worms there.... Quality issues with Vortex... HD or AMG? I excuse all other lines of scopes as purchase options so I do not care about failures in their lower tier lines. What have you heard bad about HD and up??

Nothing with those, but that is a small segment of their line. I have seen multiple issues from the PST down,which is a vast majority of their product line and sales.

There’s a big difference between their PST line and their Razor line. PST is a step up from the entry level but not Razor or their top tier AMG line.

There’s a big difference between their PST line and their Razor line. PST is a step up from the entry level but not Razor or their top tier AMG line.

Absolutely, and I never said otherwise. Those are also a small percentage of the optics they sell every year, so my statement still stands.

If Kia made a bad ass super car that ran trouble free for 150k miles, would you be defending the entire brand, or would all of the Sorento owners recommend Kia, and brag about the warranty?

I own quite a few Vortex, and have sent everyone of them back, including a Razor RDS, and two PSTs. That is not a one off story. I have never sent back my Razor Spotter, or HD Binoculars. I like Vortex, but there is a reason they are famous for their warranty, and the reason I use a NF ATACR 7-35x56 on my match gun. An optic in the mail is an optic that isn't being used for what it was purchased for.

Anyway, back on topic, I haven't received the email from Hornady about replacing the bullets, or what the package should weigh. I have only received the verbal promise to be made whole so far.

Last edited: