• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady 147 ELD match tap precision

Nice, I wonder if or when I could get my hands on a sample of the small primer brass ?
Probably would have to buy the ammo for that sample but it's nice that Hornady has been paying attention.

One of the next questions up I'm sure will be what size flash hole did they use under that small primer.

Sorry to burst bubbles fellas, but the small primer spec is a misprint! After seeing this post I sent a text to Hornady and they said they were still utilizing large primers and the misprint was going to be corrected.

We have been shooting this ammo in our work rifles since Nov. 2017 and the 2 lots we have had were both large primer. This ammo has shot really well for us.

Reactions: XLR308
Is the brass the same as or different from the usual Hornady 6.5 CM brass?

Sorry to burst bubbles fellas, but the small primer spec is a misprint! After seeing this post I sent a text to Hornady and they said they were still utilizing large primers and the misprint was going to be corrected.

We have been shooting this ammo in our work rifles since Nov. 2017 and the 2 lots we have had were both large primer. This ammo has shot really well for us.
Well that is disappointing.

No bubbles busted here I have Lapua small primer.
Glad to here it is performing well for you guys though, I would be curious if the Proof barrel velocities are a misprint as well since they seemed pretty high in relation to the other barrels.

Look at the velocity that proof barrel is getting it done.

The velocity is less than the standard factory 147 load which is listed at 2690fps.

Seems everyone has figured it out the small rifle primer is a misprint but they are crimped.

Is the brass the same as or different from the usual Hornady 6.5 CM brass?

Same brass.

If the primer pockets are staked, will this allow for longer primer pocket life? Loose primer pockets seems to be why I throw most of my near perfect looking brass in the trash.

If the primer pockets are staked, will this allow for longer primer pocket life? Loose primer pockets seems to be why I throw most of my near perfect looking brass in the trash.

Not really as all that does is keep the primers in for the first firing. After you load them you will cut out the crimp and load like any other brass.

Reactions: 10ring1
What's the story on small primer pockets?

Why is it preferable?

For me it was mainly due to having a stronger case head, more junk in the trunk and tolerates higher pressure better so primer pockets don't loosen up.
I put alot of time and effort into brass prep and like to get the most out of my brass life since I'm not losing them at matches.
But they also have shown lower es/sd numbers with small primer though the same is achievable with large primer and careful load development.

For me it was mainly due to having a stronger case head, more junk in the trunk and tolerates higher pressure better so primer pockets don't loosen up.
I put alot of time and effort into brass prep and like to get the most out of my brass life since I'm not losing them at matches.
But they also have shown lower es/sd numbers with small primer though the same is achievable with large primer and careful load development.

Have you ever run the numbers on JBM or the like of a 60ksi load vs. a 65-70ksi load in terms of velocity to see what the difference is within the typical (1200yd) ranges most of us are shooting?

I mean I get it, having brass that can handle it is cool, okay... but if you just drop your loads below 60ksi cheap Remington/Winchester/Hornady brass lasts 10-20 firings, there are no more brass shavings... For usually what amounts to like 3 clicks on your turret.

Also, for the Creedmoor there's RL26 pixie dust. 2765fps with 147's in a 21" Brux barrel at 47.1gr (the 'low node'). 48gr is 60-61ksi and 2800fps with the same barrel. No prep other than anneal and trim/chamfer/deburr every 3 firings Hornady brass, SD is 5-11fps every 10 shot string I've tested.

Have you ever run the numbers on JBM or the like of a 60ksi load vs. a 65-70ksi load in terms of velocity to see what the difference is within the typical (1200yd) ranges most of us are shooting?

I mean I get it, having brass that can handle it is cool, okay... but if you just drop your loads below 60ksi cheap Remington/Winchester/Hornady brass lasts 10-20 firings, there are no more brass shavings... For usually what amounts to like 3 clicks on your turret.

Also, for the Creedmoor there's RL26 pixie dust. 2765fps with 147's in a 21" Brux barrel at 47.1gr (the 'low node'). 48gr is 60-61ksi and 2800fps with the same barrel. No prep other than anneal and trim/chamfer/deburr every 3 firings Hornady brass, SD is 5-11fps every 10 shot string I've tested.

Just to clarify I don't run my loads in the red zone so I get great brass life anyway. My 308 load in Lapua Palma brass I'm running at the max load listed for AR-COMP of 40.7 but I'm at 2.885" COAL at a modest 2650fps with the 178 AMAX and can neck size only for four reloads before I get any tension on the bolt.
I attribute that to Lapua brass.

I have tried Hornady brass in 308, 300WM, 243win, 223rem, and 68spc and in all cases except the 68spc I've found it severely lacking compared to Lapua, Nosler or Norma. I use it solely in the 68spc now but that is used mainly for shooting deer and hogs at close range from 50-250 yards. In all fairness I haven't tried any in 65 creedmoor but I allready have Lapua brass for that so why would I?

If I try any Hornady in 65 creedmoor it would be factory ammo anyway. My barrel is done and new action sitting at home I just need to finish the stock and get it all together and then I can start tinkering with the creedmoor but I totally understand your point on backing off the charge a little as the gains are miniscule and don't expect the 65 Creedmoor to be a 65 PRC by adding more powder. ?