• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady 147 ELDM

werth338

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2021
Houston
Have a number of Hornady 147 ELDM and was looking to load for long range and PRS out of 6.5 Creed with VV N550 and N165. Had someone mention issues with tips melting past 600 yards. I haven't been able to find anything to back that up but did see strings from last year on them exploding. The 147s that I have are recently manufactured. In short, I would like to get some feedback on the tip melting and blow ups to determine if worth the time loading or returning to go with Sierra 142 Match Kings.

From what I understand it was the amax that had the tips melting. Not the eldm. That was one of the reasons for them to get rid of the amax. Eldm is pretty much a upgraded version.

Reactions: jbuck88
That is what I had thought so was surprised when melted tips for the ELD came up.

I had excellent results with 147’s till all of the sudden they started blowing up about every 10th shot.
:(
N550 should work well, N165 will probably run out of room before you find pressure.

Reactions: werth338
Mine were blowing up before reaching the target. Keyholing at 100. Jackets separating at 500 yards.

2900 fps, 8 twist, 6,200 feet elevation.
I am 7.5 twist and shoot mostly under 500 feet elevation. Was going to target 2750-2800 fps. Were these issues recently?

I had excellent results with 147’s till all of the sudden they started blowing up about every 10th shot.
:(
N550 should work well, N165 will probably run out of room before you find pressure.
I had good luck with 143 ELDX previously so was wanting to move to 147 but this issue has me questioning it. For the N165, I know it might be a challenge but was going to give it a go with Winchester WLR primer.

Mine started blowing up too. There’s several threads on this. Fuck 147 ELDMs anyway. Berger 156’s 🤩

I am 7.5 twist and shoot mostly under 500 feet elevation. Was going to target 2750-2800 fps. Were these issues recently?
Within the year. I'm shooting Barnes 145 gr Match Burners now.

The problem is rpm. Something around 300,000 rpm and they come apart. Your 7.5 twist is not going to help.

I had the 147’s at a smidge over 2800 and a 1-8 twist.
it was a quite sudden change from them doing very well with all my previous lots to consistent blow ups.
I then shot that barrel out with 140 hybrids and tried my remaining 147’s in the new barrel with the same issues.

Honestly in a non magnum I’d really look at the 140 hybrid, they did quite well at a mile+ in my 260.

Within the year. I'm shooting Barnes 145 gr Match Burners now.

The problem is rpm. Something around 300,000 rpm and they come apart. Your 7.5 twist is not going to help.
How do you like the Barnes Match Burners? The biggest knock on them I had read was around variations of length.

I had the 147’s at a smidge over 2800 and a 1-8 twist.
it was a quite sudden change from them doing very well with all my previous lots to consistent blow ups.
I then shot that barrel out with 140 hybrids and tried my remaining 147’s in the new barrel with the same issues.

Honestly in a non magnum I’d really look at the 140 hybrid, they did quite well at a mile+ in my 260.
That helps. Seems like getting 140-144 Berger’s is a challenge so has me looking at other options.