• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady 155 A-MAX

3bnRanger

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
I'm ready to drop some jing on the 2011 Hornady group buy and I'm wondering if anyone has had success with working up a load with the 155 A-MAX. My procrastination has struck again being that I won't be able to test a factory load of them before the order cut-off date. Will I be wasting money on the 155's? If it helps, I'm shooting a GAP Crusader (standard specs) at ranges normally under 600 yards and periodically to a 1,000. Thanks.

Re: Hornady 155 A-MAX

I don't know about 1000, but my friend dropped them straight onto his 155scenar load and they SHOOT!!
Only taken them out to 500yrds tho as the bullet swap is for a foxing load,
Still holding .5moa nicely at 500
smile.gif

He's using 25.5varget, lap brass, cci standard, 2.8" arse-to-tip
smile.gif

No problems with 155's getting to where you need it go and further towards 1000. You can load the 155's to 2800-3000 fps depending on what your rifle can stand and where you see pressure signs. I personally stay in the 2800-2850 mark. Just work your way up looking for pressure and accuracy concerns.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gfunkUK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know about 1000, but my friend dropped them straight onto his 155scenar load and they SHOOT!!
smile.gif

He's using <span style="color: #CC0000">25.5varget</span>, lap brass, cci standard, 2.8" arse-to-tip
smile.gif
</div></div>
I bet there is at least another 20gr in that brass... 155 Scenars will get you there, I'm sure the 155 AMAX will reach on out to 1k if you push em fairly hard. good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drunkhumpinmonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gfunkUK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know about 1000, but my friend dropped them straight onto his 155scenar load and they SHOOT!!
smile.gif

He's using <span style="color: #CC0000">25.5varget</span>, lap brass, cci standard, 2.8" arse-to-tip
smile.gif
</div></div>
I bet there is at least another 20gr in that brass... 155 Scenars will get you there, I'm sure the 155 AMAX will reach on out to 1k if you push em fairly hard. good luck </div></div>
blush.gif

My mistake!!! I meant 45.5 varget!!!!
I had just been reading through some .223 posts and had the 20's still in my head
blush.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3bnRanger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm ready to drop some jing on the 2011 Hornady group buy</div></div>

Where is this group buy of which you speak & are 178 amax included?

I use them in the bolt gun over 43.3gr 4198 and they shoot tighter than anything else I've tried. Haven't had them past 500 yet, though.

The ONLY 155s I've had good results with were Hornady factory loads with the A-Max. .75-1.0 MOA out of an M1A, as good as it gets with that rifle.

Scenars, Sierra 2155s, Nosler 155s, and 155 A-Maxes, I can't get any reload to reliably shoot better than 1.5 MOA. Other loads break the 1 MOA barrier and hold around there nicely.

I'll gladly trade all of my remaining 155s 1:1 for either 178 A-Maxes or 175 SMKs. 20 of one, 30+ of another, whatever... But I'd probably have to buy another 100+ off of whoever has them to make it worthwhile.