• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady 168 BTHP vs Sierra 168 Matchkings

RADcustom

Registered Coonass
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2008
Louisiana
I have had good luck with the matchkings and Hornady Amax's in this weight class and had no problems getting good groups at 100 yrds. I acquired some of the Hornady BTHP at a good price thinking they would be a good alternative. I loaded some up and was surprised at how differently they performed. Groups opened up significantly.

I was curious if anyone has had any success getting good groups with these bullets? I figured I would ask first before wasting anymore powder and primers in an effort of futility.

Thanks for any help.

Re: Hornady 168 BTHP vs Sierra 168 Matchkings

The shape of the bullet is a little different, just rework them. Here is a pic when I worked up the 168 match, I think I found the sweet spot.

target is a 50 yard target, but shot at 100Y

46936d1327270838-remington-700-groupings-img-20120122-00316.jpg

I did find another node at approx 45.5 but I stuck with the medium node to extend brass life.

I now shoot 178 Amax because of the higher BC and down range energy.

I've switched over to Hornady BTHPs and AMAXs over the Sierras in any weight. The prices and availability have been better and the I haven't found a measurable difference in the 168s in my gas gun. The 178s shoot better for me than any 175 from any manufacturer and the ballistics are awesome for longer ranges. I've become a Hornady fan.

168 gr Hornady A-max:

0.80" @ 200 yds

1.75" at 500 yards

from my DPMS LR-308.