• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

hornady 168gr 308 for game?

mosin46

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2010
florida 32621
usual question. this OK for deer,hogs,game < 300lbs? what i have is TAP and the hornady web site shows some gelatin performance thru wallboard,steel,glass. min pics but looks certainly destructive for game. might be too much if hits bone? anyone used it?

Reactions: Ravenworks
TAP is designed to kill people so I’m assuming it will do just fine on game, I’ve never used it myself though.

usual question. this OK for deer,hogs,game < 300lbs? what i have is TAP and the hornady web site shows some gelatin performance thru wallboard,steel,glass. min pics but looks certainly destructive for game. might be too much if hits bone? anyone used it?
About 20 years ago I used the old red box (LE version) TAP .308 Win 168 BTHP on deer. Worked fine. But it is considered "target" or "tactical" ammo, so use at your own risk.

yea tx. wasn't sure exactly how old mine is. old red LE box but box and ammo is crisp,clean and shiny. not worried about condition but always a thought.

Last edited:
I have killed a lotta deer with the 155 AMAX bullet.

Often drop faster than my buddy’s critters using the hunting specific ELDX.

Have heard similar experience from friends (folks I actually believe) with both bullets too, not just internet drivel….0

tx. will sell and/or trade most of my 308 at some point. but,save a good amt of tap or amax for poss hunt with ar10

If it’s the 168g Amax it’ll work just fine. Whitetail hunted several years with the black box TAP and never had an issue. Usually found a nice mushroom under the skin on the opposite side.

i have black A max and TAP eld both 168gr. would go out of an 18" AR10. any knowledge or comparison experience with either/both? i am thinking the eld is more target and barrier penetration (law enforc. labeled if that matters). but,thinking anti personel might = anti critter.

I’ve been killing deer and pigs with a 19” 308 using the 168 AMAX (hand-rolled)for a long time.
They kill nicely. Wouldn’t hesitate to use it.